May 22, 2017, 10:27:50 PM

Author Topic: Paper talk  (Read 5654 times)

March 20, 2017, 04:02:04 PM
Reply #45

Macca77

Chelsea were mostly mid-table before the Russian takeover. Man city were mid-table before their takeover WTF.

Correct, lets not forget City were relegated on a regular basis.

The media love the "new money" teams regardless of their shite history.

March 20, 2017, 04:05:21 PM
Reply #46

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Chelsea were mostly mid-table before the Russian takeover. Man city were mid-table before their takeover WTF.
City Were in league one about 15 fucking years ago!!
Heisenberg thoughts on Lukaku :
If he was English his value would be 10-15.

March 20, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
Reply #47

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
In the 100 years between 1900 and 2000 Everton won honours in 7 out of 10 decades and have consistently been a big club throughout history playing a major part in the story of football itself.

Unfortunately, this means very little these days. Anyone under 40 will struggle to remember Everton as a real force in football.

The other night on TalkSport (I know! I know!) they were saying 'apart from the 80's what have Everton ever done and I nearly took the next junction to turn around and head down the M1  to deliver some 'education'.

It's how the world looks right now. But the times, they are a-changing...

If we count the 69/70 league win as the 70s then it's 8 out of 10 decades.
Taking the war out then 8 out of 9...
I agree i'm clutching a bit there haha.

By the way, someone mentioned earleir that we had won more than Spurs. We havent. We have 15 major honours to their 17.
The only reason we have an argument as to being more successful than them is if you think the most important thing is the league. Then it's 9 to 2 in our favour.
(I imagine Spurs fans and a fair few neutrals would argue that total honours is more important).

Then there is villa on 20 major honours (21 if you count the super cup, which you'd be wrong to for the same reason we dont count the charity shield).
They're on 7 leagues and 1 european cup.

So in terms of most successful It's United or Liverpool then Arsenal - then a 3 way tie between those above, depending on your preferences.

"Big" is a different story and Chelsea and City are definitely bigger than us in todays climate.

March 20, 2017, 04:40:56 PM
Reply #48

Ramjam

League titles is the ultimate prize in English football so I'll take the 9 v 2 over Spurs and the 9 v 7 over Villa all day long
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

March 20, 2017, 05:13:11 PM
Reply #49

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The present and future is all that matters now. Our last title was eons ago. I want us to challenge again.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

March 20, 2017, 05:17:20 PM
Reply #50

Alanvideo

It's no wonder the media don't take us seriously when you look at our PL win record against the top teams  :-
Arsenal 7/49  Chelsea 9/49  The Shite 9/49  Man U 8/49  Spurs 8/50
Man City 18/40 is half decent I suppose.
We are special ,we are Everton.

March 20, 2017, 05:21:53 PM
Reply #51

Cozzie

It's no wonder the media don't take us seriously when you look at our PL win record against the top teams  :-
Arsenal 7/49  Chelsea 9/49  The Shite 9/49  Man U 8/49  Spurs 8/50
Man City 18/40 is half decent I suppose.

Man city where mostly shite when we banged them though.

March 20, 2017, 05:36:10 PM
Reply #52

Macca77

The Shite 9/50

Fixed this for you

March 20, 2017, 05:46:20 PM
Reply #53

Alanvideo

Man city where mostly shite when we banged them though.
...........they were pretty shite this season too ( 4-0 )
We are special ,we are Everton.

March 20, 2017, 06:09:34 PM
Reply #54

formerKHL

Sunday papers linking Koeman with Arsenal job after their latest round of shit performances at Anfield, I think he needs to publicly endorse his commitment to Everton for once and for all, maybe then Lukaku would sign his new improved contract.

According to the folks on here EFC should never do this !!

March 20, 2017, 07:52:57 PM
Reply #55

Major Clanger

According to the folks on here EFC should never do this !!

Of course we shouldn't, only idiots feel the need to go public with stuff like this.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 20, 2017, 08:09:34 PM
Reply #56

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we count the 69/70 league win as the 70s then it's 8 out of 10 decades.
Taking the war out then 8 out of 9...
I agree i'm clutching a bit there haha.

By the way, someone mentioned earleir that we had won more than Spurs. We havent. We have 15 major honours to their 17.
The only reason we have an argument as to being more successful than them is if you think the most important thing is the league. Then it's 9 to 2 in our favour.
(I imagine Spurs fans and a fair few neutrals would argue that total honours is more important).

Then there is villa on 20 major honours (21 if you count the super cup, which you'd be wrong to for the same reason we dont count the charity shield).
They're on 7 leagues and 1 european cup.

So in terms of most successful It's United or Liverpool then Arsenal - then a 3 way tie between those above, depending on your preferences.

"Big" is a different story and Chelsea and City are definitely bigger than us in todays climate.

Timing is of course relevant too.

That's why our major honour most decades was a usual thing to happen as you're always in people's conscious.

Similarly Chelsea have won a lot of honours since we last won something.

Think it's 4 leagues, CL, EL, CWC, about 6 FA cups and 4 league cups.

I.e. more than our post war efforts.

On the flip side villa won 6 of their leagues and 6 of their cups before 1920 so their record in the last 100 years is pretty meagre.

Of course we prioritise the league (in my view rightly) but we look down at the LC but probably because we've never won it.

Strip LCs from Villa and Spurs and they're not so great on the honours front.

March 20, 2017, 08:11:00 PM
Reply #57

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Timing is of course relevant too.

That's why our major honour most decades was a usual thing to happen as you're always in people's conscious.

Similarly Chelsea have won a lot of honours since we last won something.

Think it's 4 leagues, CL, EL, CWC, about 6 FA cups and 4 league cups.

I.e. more than our post war efforts.

On the flip side villa won 6 of their leagues and 6 of their cups before 1920 so their record in the last 100 years is pretty meagre.

Of course we prioritise the league (in my view rightly) but we look down at the LC but probably because we've never won it.

Strip LCs from Villa and Spurs and they're not so great on the honours front.

yeah. We have also won the league, a european honour and the FA cup more recently than Spurs.

March 21, 2017, 12:59:41 AM
Reply #58

Shropshire Blue

People are too hard on the media and too sensitive most of the time.
They have to sell to survive, that's life. Plus they have to fill space when there is nothing happening apart from one off stories like upsets on the pitch, or players getting arrested. Just after a transfer window there is a dirth of news.
Also they have to cover 92 teams in the 4 leagues plus non league and some of the reporters cover more than football. Can you honestly expect them to cover everything and everyone in depth? It isn't possible.
There's some absolute crap printed, and there's some great stuff as well. Most is in between and that's how It will always be. Come on, admit it, we enjoy being indignant and angry about it - that's we directly or indirectly buy it and why it still gets churned out!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

March 21, 2017, 01:16:46 AM
Reply #59

trueevertonianpaul

People are too hard on the media and too sensitive most of the time.
They have to sell to survive, that's life. Plus they have to fill space when there is nothing happening apart from one off stories like upsets on the pitch, or players getting arrested. Just after a transfer window there is a dirth of news.
Also they have to cover 92 teams in the 4 leagues plus non league and some of the reporters cover more than football. Can you honestly expect them to cover everything and everyone in depth? It isn't possible.
There's some absolute crap printed, and there's some great stuff as well. Most is in between and that's how It will always be. Come on, admit it, we enjoy being indignant and angry about it - that's we directly or indirectly buy it and why it still gets churned out!
It's not the fake news they come up with.
It's factually in correct.
It's like saying imbrahimovic leaving man u to goto p s g cos there a bigger club