October 18, 2017, 06:17:29 PM

Author Topic: Paper talk  (Read 7928 times)

March 21, 2017, 01:19:38 AM
Reply #60

trueevertonianpaul

If Swansea had a billionaire and spent there way to the championship and cl every year. Press wud say they were a big club!!!

deCoubertin

March 21, 2017, 02:08:28 AM
Reply #61

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
It's not the fake news they come up with.
It's factually in correct.
It's like saying imbrahimovic leaving man u to goto p s g cos there a bigger club
Isn't that what I'm saying? It's just the way it's dressed up and presented and I think we all know that. We only get uptight when it's not what we want to hear. There will be no complaints from us about Sigurdsson or Keane or anyone else signing for us. But what do the fans of their clubs think?
Whether watching or reading or anything else football at every level is an escape from the reality of everyday life so, as I said earlier, let's not take it too seriously or too sensitively. If we didn't read it they wouldn't print it!!  ;)
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

March 24, 2017, 12:49:29 PM
Reply #62

Ramjam

Daily express linking us with Chris Wood from Leeds United, I asked the question a couple of weeks ago about his ability and the response was very negative, obviously the scouting team can see some potential there
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

March 24, 2017, 02:55:35 PM
Reply #63

Rhys

If we count the 69/70 league win as the 70s then it's 8 out of 10 decades.
Taking the war out then 8 out of 9...
I agree i'm clutching a bit there haha.

By the way, someone mentioned earleir that we had won more than Spurs. We havent. We have 15 major honours to their 17.
The only reason we have an argument as to being more successful than them is if you think the most important thing is the league. Then it's 9 to 2 in our favour.
(I imagine Spurs fans and a fair few neutrals would argue that total honours is more important).

Then there is villa on 20 major honours (21 if you count the super cup, which you'd be wrong to for the same reason we dont count the charity shield).
They're on 7 leagues and 1 european cup.

So in terms of most successful It's United or Liverpool then Arsenal - then a 3 way tie between those above, depending on your preferences.

"Big" is a different story and Chelsea and City are definitely bigger than us in todays climate.

I think there should be some kind of points metric, say 15 for a champions league, 10 for a domestic, 8 for a CWC/EL, 5 Main country cup, 3 for secondary cup. Something like that so teams can be ranked to see where they are.

As winning 9 leagues should be a greater achievement than winning 9 league cups for instance.

March 24, 2017, 02:56:56 PM
Reply #64

Bluedylan

Daily express linking us with Chris Wood from Leeds United, I asked the question a couple of weeks ago about his ability and the response was very negative, obviously the scouting team can see some potential there

Or the Express might be printing a load of old shite. Hmm...which one is more likely?
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

March 24, 2017, 02:58:56 PM
Reply #65

Rhys

He was no way near premier league level player which is why he only played a handful of times between Leicester and west brom. That said he has improved a lot this season at Leeds and scored a lot of goals. It's a big jump from that division and this division especially without pace though and he may well be in the PL with Leeds next season anyway.

March 24, 2017, 07:48:25 PM
Reply #66

formerKHL

good player wood...a lot of PL teams watching him...

March 24, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
Reply #67

cantoffee

He was no way near premier league level player which is why he only played a handful of times between Leicester and west brom. That said he has improved a lot this season at Leeds and scored a lot of goals. It's a big jump from that division and this division especially without pace though and he may well be in the PL with Leeds next season anyway.
And how many prolific championship players actually make the jump to the premier league successfully?

You can point to dozens of examples where they score maybe a half dozen in an entire premier season after lighting up the championship and the costs now are closer to 15 or 20 million for these players.

I'm sure we can find better value abroad.

March 24, 2017, 07:57:14 PM
Reply #68

formerKHL

TBH I get the gist of what you're saying but there's actually been quite a few..

however, nowadays this pathway to the PL is even more difficult because basically money talks..you could argue the same about some  big money purchases that have failed

March 24, 2017, 08:51:32 PM
Reply #69

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
good player wood...a lot of PL teams watching him...

he is shit
I have to return some videotapes.

March 24, 2017, 08:54:20 PM
Reply #70

Mayor Farnum

And how many prolific championship players actually make the jump to the premier league successfully?

You can point to dozens of examples where they score maybe a half dozen in an entire premier season after lighting up the championship and the costs now are closer to 15 or 20 million for these players.

I'm sure we can find better value abroad.

To be fair not many get a move to a club that will be challenging near the top. They are usually bought by clubs with little ambition other than staying up.

March 24, 2017, 08:59:24 PM
Reply #71

formerKHL

he is shit

it seems a considerable amount of professional coaches and scouts disagree with your analysis

March 24, 2017, 09:07:07 PM
Reply #72

Cereal Killer

TBH I get the gist of what you're saying but there's actually been quite a few..

not to piss on your bonfire too much but the top Championship scorers in the last 10 seasons:

15/16: Andre Grey, Ross McCormack, Abel Hernandez, Jonathan Kodjia
14/15: Daryl Murphy, Troy Deeney, Jordan Rhodes, Rudy Gestede
13/14: Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes, Troy Deeney, Lewis Grabban
12/13: Glenn Murray, Jordan Rhodes, Charlie Austin, Matej Vydra, Chris Wood
11/12: Rickie Lambert, Ricardo Vaz Te, Billy Sharp, Ross McCormack
10/11: Danny Graham, Grant Holt, Shane Long, Scott Sinclair, Abel Taarabt
09/10: Nicky Maynard, Peter Whittingham, Gary Hooper, Kevin Nolan
08/09: Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, Ross McCormack, Jason Scotland, Kevin Doyle
07/08: Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, James Beattie, Kevin Phillips, Stern John
06/07: Jamie Cureton, Michael Chopra, Diomansay Kamara, Rob Earnshaw

How many have become even remotely prolific in the Prem? Holt and Deeney have had 1 good season each, Shane Long is average and gets a few goals, Kevin Phillips was on the way down in his career....

March 24, 2017, 09:07:56 PM
Reply #73

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
it seems a considerable amount of professional coaches and scouts disagree with your analysis

The ones who have had him in the premier league all seem to be in agreemenet that he is quite shite

March 24, 2017, 09:09:51 PM
Reply #74

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
not to piss on your bonfire too much but the top Championship scorers in the last 10 seasons:

15/16: Andre Grey, Ross McCormack, Abel Hernandez, Jonathan Kodjia
14/15: Daryl Murphy, Troy Deeney, Jordan Rhodes, Rudy Gestede
13/14: Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes, Troy Deeney, Lewis Grabban
12/13: Glenn Murray, Jordan Rhodes, Charlie Austin, Matej Vydra, Chris Wood
11/12: Rickie Lambert, Ricardo Vaz Te, Billy Sharp, Ross McCormack
10/11: Danny Graham, Grant Holt, Shane Long, Scott Sinclair, Abel Taarabt
09/10: Nicky Maynard, Peter Whittingham, Gary Hooper, Kevin Nolan
08/09: Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, Ross McCormack, Jason Scotland, Kevin Doyle
07/08: Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, James Beattie, Kevin Phillips, Stern John
06/07: Jamie Cureton, Michael Chopra, Diomansay Kamara, Rob Earnshaw

How many have become even remotely prolific in the Prem? Holt and Deeney have had 1 good season each, Shane Long is average and gets a few goals, Kevin Phillips was on the way down in his career....

One player there who has score on a regular basis in the prem and that's Austin. But even he has started to struggle

Some grim names in there though. Jason Scotland hahaha