December 18, 2017, 05:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Dynamo Dresden v Everton  (Read 6473 times)

July 30, 2016, 04:51:58 AM
Reply #210

kramer0

The main things that I've noticed so far in pre-season:

1. We're pushing higher up the field in an attempt to force our opponents to go long. When they insist on staying short, we're trying to force them wide where we can press them more effectively by using the sideline as an extra defender.
2. In defense, we appear to be more committed to defending the space inside the penalty area. Opponents are getting their fair share of long crosses and shots outside the box but aren't really getting the ball into prime shooting areas on the ground (with the exception of Dresden's first today, which was due mainly to a lapse in concentration from Coleman).
3. In attack, we're playing a lot of early passes into the channels to make use of the pace and skill in our front line.

It's obviously more sophisticated than that, but those are the particular things I've picked out. For those concerned about (2) -- we will improve at defending long crosses in time and we will concede far fewer shots from central areas in front of the back four when we get better midfielders (or our current midfielders improve positionally).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:53:07 AM by kramer0 »

July 30, 2016, 04:52:55 AM
Reply #211

charlatan

I've got every faith in Koeman.  What I don't have faith in is the strength in our squad. 

We have no cover at right back, need at least 2 centre halves even before Stones goes (Jags looks to be finished with all these injuries he keeps picking up), left back is fine with Baines and then either Oviedo, Garbutt or Galloway as backup.

Centre of midfield is decidedly poor.  Gibson and Barry are finished, McCarthy flatters to deceive, and Besic is erratic at best.  Barkley can't play here as he is totally naive defensively.

We have 3 excellent right wingers and Mcgeady, but no left winger, and our striking options, quite frankly, scare the shit out of me.  Lukaku gets crocked or decides he's too good for us and performs like the last 3 months or so of last season, we are up shit creek without a paddle.

This isn't being negative, just realistic after believing we had our best squad in 25 years before last season.  We need to get some quality in ASAP, not squad fillers, players to go straight into the starting 11 to make a difference

On a bright note, we have some very good kids coming thru, Garbutt, Galloway, Davies, Holgate etc.  Dowell looks like he needs 12 months in the championship to toughen up a bit til he's ready

July 30, 2016, 05:01:36 AM
Reply #212

kramer0

They had a fresh team for the second half?

https://twitter.com/jankluit/status/759132937984077825

Yeah, I'm not concerned about this one. Good workout for us.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:01:56 AM by kramer0 »

July 30, 2016, 05:26:56 AM
Reply #213

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
It'll take more than a few games to usher in new ways of playing, lids.

We're all a bit desperate to watch Everton playing winning football understandably, but games like this couldn't possible mean less. Would we all be buzzing and thinking we're boss if we'd have won 6-0? Possibly, but it wouldn't mean a single thing, just as losing 2-1 doesn't.

Winning is winning. It's a habit. Winnig is always more important. Losing is never good and the 2 are never the same thing
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

July 30, 2016, 05:31:19 AM
Reply #214

Bluedylan

Winning is winning. It's a habit. Winnig is always more important. Losing is never good and the 2 are never the same thing

I agree when it's competitive, but when it's a fitness exercise and when we're yet to bring in any of our signings, I really don't think it could mean less. Koeman's just learning about players and combinations at the moment, but beyond that I wouldn't put any importance on any of these games.

Teams rinse pre-seasons all the time, and then start the actual season badly and vice versa. As Glewis said, the problem is that meaningless pre-season friendlies are all screened and over-analysed.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 30, 2016, 08:08:37 AM
Reply #215

Jamokachi

I wish I could pinpoint the time when results in pre season mattered. I blame the internet to be honest, and the money involved in these silly, meaningless pre season competitions.

The added scrutiny that the internet has brought with instant, 24 hour reporting through the likes of Twitter means nothing happens without everyone knowing, not even a training session.

And the added money from all manner of sponsorships filters through to crap like the International Champions Cup, which media outlets like Sky latch onto and big up in order to boost interest and viewing figures.

Pre season is about fitness, and being ready yo hit the ground running in August against your first league opposition. Yes everyone likes to win a game and people enjoy the technical snippets they can gather, but in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter. It's a time to experiment with no pressure. Some things work, other don't - but it's risk free.

At least that's how it was when I was a kid, without the media circus and social media breakdown of every 2 bit wannabe coach. I miss those days.

July 30, 2016, 09:04:21 AM
Reply #216

Mac934

My official EFC TV has been excellent so far.

July 30, 2016, 10:31:29 AM
Reply #217

bacon sarnie

We lost! By the Christ flog them all and be damned.

Pre-season. Pre-come.........

July 30, 2016, 02:06:42 PM
Reply #218

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
The purpose of a pre-season

1) Fitness
2) Get rid of the rustiness
3) try new players/fringe players/youth players in your system - look at Davies this pre-season and Holgate and the Swiss kid
4) Fitness
5) Routine of match days again
6) Trying new ideas
7) team bonding
8) Fitness
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

July 30, 2016, 04:39:41 PM
Reply #219

Bluesthedaddy

It took Martinez a full year to get rid of Moyes stubborn ways for his loose inept style. The two worked well in the first season some how and we were all conned. He needs time to sort his team to what players he's keeping, bringing through and buying. When he took over at Southampton he was replacing Pochitino who is a top manager, not the clueless Spanish conman.

July 30, 2016, 06:53:48 PM
Reply #220

Evertonian in NC

It's obvious when you think about it.  Not easily available (at no extra charge) to the Ugly American fan = team looks like shite.  GET IT SORTED.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin