November 24, 2017, 02:41:14 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 11670 times)

November 15, 2017, 03:52:28 AM
Reply #75

Waltzer

Wrd and another poster on tef pretty much saying it's a matter of time or more importantly once we offer the correct amount he will be here
I'm still a little confused as to why it's taken roughly 3 weeks? If Moshiri is willing to blow 8 million+ on him you'd think he's pretty high on his hit list so why the delay in approaching. Personally id rather say to Tuchel that we'd give him an 8 million signing on fee and basic wage of 6 mill per year like Koeman was on than give Watford it for Silva, but I'll just be glad to get something sorted.

deCoubertin

November 15, 2017, 04:57:01 AM
Reply #76

Jamokachi

I'm still a little confused as to why it's taken roughly 3 weeks? If Moshiri is willing to blow 8 million+ on him you'd think he's pretty high on his hit list so why the delay in approaching. Personally id rather say to Tuchel that we'd give him an 8 million signing on fee and basic wage of 6 mill per year like Koeman was on than give Watford it for Silva, but I'll just be glad to get something sorted.

Perhaps we tried with Tuchel, perhaps he was the number one target, but didn't fancy it. He's being lined up as Conte's replacement by all accounts.

Then there's the Simeone situation. Perhaps we were given an indication there was a possibility of getting him in the summer. But that would mean a stop-gap. Unsworth is a big risk and the other options aren't particularly encouraging, and fan reaction has probably been noted.

Then there are other candidates worth analysing and evaluating, Dyche and Silva, as well as others I'm sure.

We weren't expecting to sack Koeman after 9 games, so it's understandable to a degree that there wasn't a ready made shortlist of potential candidates in waiting. There is no crazy rush at this stage of the season, better to take time and evaluate the options.

I don't buy the scatter-gun approach. I think we'll have looked at various candidates, who happen to have differing styles of football. It's not the chairman/owner that decides the on pitch culture or style of play, and we should be thankful of that. There are plenty who do, and the shit storm that can cause is not something I want to see at Everton (Palace chairman dictating team selection springs to mind).

As for Silva, he is one of the most highly rated young managers in Europe. He had great records at the clubs he was at prior to Hull, and even there he nearly managed to save a sinking ship that was near the bottom of the ocean. A club that barely had a starting 11 at the start of that season due to the owner playing silly buggers. As @Bluedylan said, the form they showed would have had them finishing 14th. It's ifs and maybes of course, but it can't be denied that he oversaw an upturn in performances.

@blargins The comparisons to Martinez are lazy, and seem to be based on three things, young, foreign and relegated with a previous club. Martinez, though he won a cup, oversaw a gradual decline in his sides (in terms of league placings), with a major weakness being his team's lack of defensive ability, lack of intensity and lack of fitness. Silva has overseen teams that have improved their league performances, wining titles and a cup as well as playing attractive, progressive football. These "flavour of the month" shouts are very disrespectful given Silva's record, and smack of a lack of acknowledgement of football outside of the PL. I saw someone on here say "many managers come here and fail". Well a damn site more come to the PL and succeed than British managers going abroad and succeeding!

We aren't a club that can go and get the top, top managers. We have to look at the those that have the potential to be great. Mauricio Pochettino is just that at Spurs, and they (as Southanmpton did) are reaping the benefits. This is far more an exciting option than the perceived "safety" of Allardyce et all, and has the potential to be a far greater long term relationship. I'd be very happy to see it happen. And as I said before, when it gets to a point where an official request has been made, it usually goes one way from there. We're a massive club in comparison to Watford, of course Silva will be interested.   

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:01:16 AM by Jamokachi »

November 15, 2017, 05:51:46 AM
Reply #77

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Got half a good feeling about this.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 15, 2017, 05:57:17 AM
Reply #78

Tony Clifton

Great stuff @Jamokachi - more than worthy of article status that post.  Helped settle me down anyway.  Thanks mate, I think the fog is clearing now!

November 15, 2017, 05:59:43 AM
Reply #79

AllyBlue14

I'd say he's achieved what would have been expected prior to his appointments, with the exception of Estoril where he seemed to get them overachieving.

Good results at Sporting Lisbon and Olympiacos, but nothing extraordinary considering their standing in their respective leagues. Hull and Watford, again, nothing earth-shattering.

That's not disrespecting his achievements, there haven't been any embarrassments and he's done pretty well overall. But he hasn't really stuck around anywhere, even less than Mourinho in fact, which is why I'd consider him a flavour of the month - his stock is definitely high after Hull and getting Watford to 9th. And I think you can say the PL is a different prospect to other leagues without it being disrespectful.

November 15, 2017, 06:58:55 AM
Reply #80

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
If it is him we're breaking the bank for then I hope he does fit into our club well and Is successful. But I'm not jumping on the bandwagon like I did with previous managers and expecting miracles. His achievements are not as high as Koemans and he has it all to prove. One thing going for him is he's young and can still learn. However it remains to be seen whether he'll last more than a few months given his extremely nomadic path so far in his managerial path. The one thing we do need is stability and that is something he hasn't been able to show anyone.

We will see. I'm skeptical if this is who we end up with. Especially the big numbers involved. We seem to be getting screwed paying over the odds for failures lately.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

November 15, 2017, 07:14:27 AM
Reply #81

Jamokachi

I'd say he's achieved what would have been expected prior to his appointments, with the exception of Estoril where he seemed to get them overachieving.

Good results at Sporting Lisbon and Olympiacos, but nothing extraordinary considering their standing in their respective leagues. Hull and Watford, again, nothing earth-shattering.

That's not disrespecting his achievements, there haven't been any embarrassments and he's done pretty well overall. But he hasn't really stuck around anywhere, even less than Mourinho in fact, which is why I'd consider him a flavour of the month - his stock is definitely high after Hull and getting Watford to 9th. And I think you can say the PL is a different prospect to other leagues without it being disrespectful.

He still achieved it though. Plenty of managers fail the minimum expectations, and he didn't. He also shone during those achievements.

The disrespecting is when compared to Martinez's achievements. He has done more, and so it should be acknowledged.

The "sticking around" could be seen as a bit of a worry, or it could be viewed as a quick road to the top. Maybe he needs to find a club that match his ambitions?

November 15, 2017, 07:48:25 AM
Reply #82

Ridge

I think he's a decent manager if he had a window to put a team together and get replacements, which he has had last 2 jobs.

He got Hull playing decent football, but after a bright start they went down by 34 points, 6 adrift. There have been managers who have taken on harder jobs and succeeded. He's had a good start at Watford, but we beat them and we've been shit for months.

After Europa fixtures, we'll just have league and we have a very big squad, so I expect some of the youngsters to go back to under 23s with Unsworth, and we'll struggle, like we did before.

The only slight sign of the team we have is the younger players, and the club have shown no real support and not much respect to the manager who developed them. Silva will inherit a deflated team with no coordination. It's a team of mercenaries and strangers, many have already major problems settling.

Personally I think we'd be right back in the shit and I doubt he'll last 6 months here either. But I absolutely do see him coming now, if we were going to appoint Unsworth it would have been done. I think we'll be in for a relegation battle.

November 15, 2017, 07:50:25 AM
Reply #83

Jamokachi

His achievements are not as high as Koemans

Koeman hasn't won anything in nearly 10 years though...

November 15, 2017, 07:51:55 AM
Reply #84

Jamokachi

Sick of the negativity on here at the moment.

November 15, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
Reply #85

bacon sarnie

Watford deny Everton a Silva lining

Everton have reportedly had an approach to speak to Watford boss Marco Silva rebuffed by the nearly-in-London side.

Source: Watford deny Everton a Silva lining

Hi-Ho....

November 15, 2017, 12:03:27 PM
Reply #86

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Silva is the new Pocchetino. Only much handsomer. That's important in a manager.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 15, 2017, 01:00:12 PM
Reply #87

GrantyBoy78

...because we were promised ‘Nothing will ever be the same’. And we’re shit.

November 15, 2017, 01:11:41 PM
Reply #88

BlueBeagle

What do you expect?

November 15, 2017, 01:27:27 PM
Reply #89

Lxxx

To be fair there’s not a great deal to be positive about at the moment. A very lucky 3 points last game up seems to have people papering over some very large cracks on the field, to say nothing of the general malaise around the club.

We’d all like to think things will improve with a new boss but until we appoint one I think it’s prudent to wait and see, bearing in mind the way this season has gone so far.