December 17, 2018, 09:48:49 PM

Author Topic: Apart from defeat  (Read 2006 times)

April 16, 2018, 06:38:50 PM
Reply #15

sam of the south

Without turning this into another anti Martinez thread I think itís worth pointing out for balance that we scored about 170 league goals during his time here as manager. Bettered only by about 4/5 other clubs during that period Sam with infinitely more resources than us as well.

Martinez was clearly better, particularly in that first season.

After a while, though, his unchanging philosophy was just terribly flawed, particularly in the high-octane EPL.

To play possession football, but without any pressing, particularly from the front, is suicide in this league if you donít have a really watertight central defence and midfield area (which we didnít)
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 16, 2018, 06:51:05 PM
Reply #16

Ross

Martinez was clearly better, particularly in that first season.

After a while, though, his unchanging philosophy was just terribly flawed, particularly in the high-octane EPL.

To play possession football, but without any pressing, particularly from the front, is suicide in this league if you donít have a really watertight central defence and midfield area (which we didnít)

Think we only scored 2 less goals in his last season than what we did in his first.

When you think the players turned on him during those final 5/6 months itís not bad really.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 16, 2018, 07:02:59 PM
Reply #17

sam of the south

Think we only scored 2 less goals in his last season than what we did in his first.

When you think the players turned on him during those final 5/6 months itís not bad really.

I guess some statistics can look positive, and others can look negative (like the home record, points total, and league position)

Much like Allardyce, though, it was the playing style and statistical efficiency that was found wanting (i.e. good chances created versus chances conceded)

It just wasnít sustainable for a club that wanted to be challenging for a regular place at the top table.

The fact that we had come close in his first season made it all the more frustrating, along with his investment and trust in youth and flair players, and forward thinking with the bedrooms at the changing ground, and overall lovely demeanor.

April 16, 2018, 07:59:08 PM
Reply #18

Bluenose 91

We scored more goals in Koemans first season than in any of Martinez'

Martinez was shite.

April 16, 2018, 08:08:58 PM
Reply #19

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not having Martinez thrown in with the likes of Allardyce and Walter smith.

Come on ffs.

April 16, 2018, 08:11:33 PM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

Martinez's first season was the last time we all really believed though eh? Maybe initially under Koeman there was optimism. This Newcastle game on Monday is reminding me of the home game under Martinez when we had Lukaku and Barkley emerging (think we won 3-0) and there was so much to get behind.

Can't wait for us all to have someone and something to get behind again. I'm tired of avoiding all footballing content on TV and radio just so I don't have to hear about Allardyce.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

April 16, 2018, 08:14:03 PM
Reply #21

sam of the south

I'm not having Martinez thrown in with the likes of Allardyce and Walter smith.

Come on ffs.

It was fucking tedious, porous football for those last two seasons, though, mate.

But yeah, not AS soul-sapping as those two, but it was pretty fucking dreadful; a lot of the dross under him was glossed over by the individualism of Lukaku, Barkley, and Coleman.

April 16, 2018, 08:15:42 PM
Reply #22

sam of the south

Martinez's first season was the last time we all really believed though eh? Maybe initially under Koeman there was optimism. This Newcastle game on Monday is reminding me of the home game under Martinez when we had Lukaku and Barkley emerging (think we won 3-0) and there was so much to get behind.

Can't wait for us all to have someone and something to get behind again. I'm tired of avoiding all footballing content on TV and radio just so I don't have to hear about Allardyce.

We went 3-0, but think it ended 3-2... almost prophetic of how it became  ;D

But yeah, canít wait to get behind a Fonseca/Brands combo 👌🏼

April 16, 2018, 08:19:24 PM
Reply #23

gizzblue

Ross's best 45 mins ever ...then it all went south 😅.

Miss the butterflies before a game all I feel lately is dread.
Born not made a blue .

April 16, 2018, 08:47:24 PM
Reply #24

themilkycoffees

At least we actually looked like we might have a chance of winning something under Martinez. We got to two semi-finals even in that disastrous final season. RM had his flaws and was far too stubborn, but never been less enthused about Everton than I am now. I want something to get behind again. An idea, a dream, with a plan preferably.

April 16, 2018, 08:55:13 PM
Reply #25

Bluenose 91

We were never even remotely close to winning anything under him.

Getting to the semi final of the domestic cups is not an achievement.

April 16, 2018, 08:59:16 PM
Reply #26

Evertonian in NC

Martinez, for all his faults, still got the Belgium job.

Koeman (who, in my view, was a slight bit worse than RM) for all his faults, still got the Netherlands job.

What job do you think fucking Allardyce will/could get?

The market is really the final arbiter of these things.  We were total marks for this fraud, and it's humiliating.  A Championship side would be in full fume about it.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 16, 2018, 09:00:29 PM
Reply #27

Evertonian in NC

At least we actually looked like we might have a chance of winning something under Martinez. We got to two semi-finals even in that disastrous final season. RM had his flaws and was far too stubborn, but never been less enthused about Everton than I am now. I want something to get behind again. An idea, a dream, with a plan preferably.

yep, he was 80% of the way there.  He was just too damned stubborn in that last 20%, and it was the fatal flaw that brought it all crashing down.

Still gave us a great season to remember first.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 16, 2018, 10:17:32 PM
Reply #28

themilkycoffees

If you say so.

April 16, 2018, 10:19:47 PM
Reply #29

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber

It's not an achievement, but you can't say it's not close.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"