December 14, 2017, 08:26:04 AM

Author Topic: Sporting vs Everton  (Read 39472 times)

February 22, 2010, 07:43:03 PM
Reply #15

ToxtethBlue

I think Mikel's a must in this game to be honest, even if it's just for 60 minutes or so, he brings so much composure to the side. Nothing eye catching at the moment, but his understanding of the game his key.

I wouldn't be keen on going to Lisbon with a four man midfield, they'll pass around us and make us chase shadows all game. They have five technically gifted midfielders who pass and move, we'll have to match them in this area. Hopefully our workrate and superiour fire power will shine through.
ToxtethBlue

February 22, 2010, 07:58:32 PM
Reply #16

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
---------------------------Howard----------------------
Neville------------Yobo--------Senderos----Baines
Donovan---------Osman------Arteta--------Bilyaletdinov
--------------------------Pienaar--------------------------
-------------------------------Saha--------------------------

(I would swap Pienaar and Bily but I think Moyes won't)

Bench;  Nash  Coleman  Duffy  Rodwell  Gosling  Vaughan  Yakubu

SCORE;   Sporting Lisbon 1 - 2 Everton
--------------------Liedson----------------Saha--
-----------------------------------------------Osman--
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

February 22, 2010, 08:00:19 PM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
They drew 0-0 at Olhense on Sat, Moutinho didn't play but I don't know whether that was down to injury or giving him a rest.

The team should be the same as Utd except with Yobo in for Distin and Senderos for Heitinga.

We might well start with Donovan off Saha as that worked well when it was shuffled around in the 2nd half. His pace and willingness to run the hard yards could be key to our ball retention.

February 22, 2010, 08:53:52 PM
Reply #18

.Rimbo.

The more I think about it, the more I think he may start with Yakubu. He played really well when he came on in the home tie, it'd give the in-form Saha a rest and he'd knacker their defence down. Then, if we need a goal, Saha/Anichebe could come on against a tired back four. I remember Victor accrediting his game-changing performance in Nurnburg to Yakubu, who worked tirelessly for 75 minutes to wear them down.

The only reason I think he may not do that is because Saha is bang in-form, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But Saha has played an awful lot of games this season, and we'll need him fresh for the game at the Lane. I'll stick with my original team, however, but I think Yakubu could be a possibility.

February 22, 2010, 08:56:29 PM
Reply #19

Derek

Yep, I'd like to see the Yak given a shot.

I hope we continue with the positive vein of football that we've tapped into.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 22, 2010, 08:58:48 PM
Reply #20

Endless, Nameless

If Osman is on form I'm very condfident about this. His recent displays have quashed my worries about missing Fellaini and Cahill somewhat.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

February 22, 2010, 08:59:40 PM
Reply #21

.Rimbo.

Yep, I'd like to see the Yak given a shot.

I hope we continue with the positive vein of football that we've tapped into.

Me too, mate. But we always seem more willing to "play it on the carpet" in Europe, so I think we'll see expansive play. Hopefully Donovan, Pienaar and Osman can make the late runs from midfield like they were against United because they just couldn't live with us, and they're a far better side than Lisbon.

I'm very, very confident.

February 22, 2010, 10:07:48 PM
Reply #22

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Blessing in disguise that Cahill's out? We look a much better team now. Our midfield is now total football!
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

February 22, 2010, 10:08:12 PM
Reply #23

Sres

We're going to do them 2-0

February 22, 2010, 10:11:33 PM
Reply #24

ToxtethBlue

I wouldn't be against it but I think Moyes will go for the more mobile, direct Louis Saha. We need someone who's going to occupy the whole of Sporting's back four and I don't think a unfit Yakubu will do that. Saha's aerial ability will be needed aswell, we don't have a big team as it is at the moment so at both ends of the pitch, he'll be useful.
ToxtethBlue

February 23, 2010, 12:09:50 AM
Reply #25

HungryHungryHibbo

In that case why not start with Vaughan? He'd be a handful for the SL back four to say the least...
coyb

February 23, 2010, 01:16:41 AM
Reply #26

ilikebrunettes

Live on Free to air TV in australia :D

bad news is that i will miss the last 15 minutes of the game cos of that thing called school :(
im thinking about going in 15 mins late but if the game was to go to extra time id have to leave for school :(

what? skive you big fanny!!!
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

February 23, 2010, 02:42:50 AM
Reply #27

Ridge

3-1

Matias
Liedson (2)
Billy

February 23, 2010, 02:45:26 AM
Reply #28

Thom

Administrator
Same team as the one that beat United, with Yobo and Senderos for Distin and Heitinga.

2-1 to us. Moutinho for them, Bily and Osman for us.

February 23, 2010, 08:20:25 AM
Reply #29

Chris

Administrator
1-0 Bily