December 17, 2017, 02:52:02 AM

Author Topic: Wayne Rooney's Best Position.  (Read 4029 times)

November 30, 2017, 08:43:44 AM
Reply #165

Jamokachi

I thought maybe Sig as an 8, but Rooney looks more natural there.

I'd say he played more as a 6 tonight, with licence to get forward (aka go where he wants). Worked great.

deCoubertin

November 30, 2017, 09:48:03 AM
Reply #166

blue1948

His best position is on the bench. I would rather see Klaasen given game time than Rooney, as at least he is a young player and hopefully has a future with us. Rooney is a dying ember of a footballer that has managed to wing a massive contract with Everton for being an average Premier League player.

The only place he would fit is at number 10 and i would choose Siggy every day of the week over him.

Yes he has a quality pass/occasional shot in him, but literally everything else has gone, and that isn't good enough at PL level.

Sorry, but past performance is not indicative of future performance, and I just don't think he has a place in our team.
Don't ya just love hindsight ! This why they abolished capital punishment!

November 30, 2017, 09:49:22 AM
Reply #167

blue1948

His best position is clearly just inside the centre circle in his own half.....
Now that is what I call prophetic ,how did you know ?

November 30, 2017, 10:44:58 AM
Reply #168

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Who are we tell Rooney where to play. He goes where he wants.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 30, 2017, 12:05:53 PM
Reply #169

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Gana Davies and Rooney were our midfield 3 when Leicester ripped us apart.

There's a lot of variables affecting Rooney's best position... mainly the opposition.

That was more like he was up front compared to last night where he definitely was in midfield.

I wouldnít say itís a permanent idea - think it just showed that we need to get him in the team where there is most space. So last night there was good space deeper for him; against another team they might push the midfield really high so the space might up in the 10 area or coming in off the wing etc.

But much like the Stoke goal, the run he makes for his second shows how much he wants to score (a massive area of improvement for Barkley which would make a big difference to his game) - Iím not sure if heís going fast or whether itís sheer determination that makes it look like it, but the deeper position would allow that more often. Defenders have to be switched on to spot / follow it.

November 30, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Reply #170

Gary1878

Don't ya just love hindsight ! This why they abolished capital punishment!

Loved his performance last night and i think he has found his position! Sitting very deep picking the ball up in Schneiderlein's position. He does so much more with the ball than he ever will.

He definitely isn't a number 10 though. Leave that for Siggy now, and i think he has cemented that as his own.

Hindsight is a beautiful creature....

Edit - It should be mentioned how woeful West Ham are though. Serious candidates for relegation, so we shouldn't get at all carried away.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:19:31 PM by Gary1878 »

November 30, 2017, 04:22:18 PM
Reply #171

Waltzer

I think we need to take it game by game, last night while the goals were great we shouldn't discount we were overran for the first 15 minutes of the second half, if that penalty had gone on who knows what would've happened?
In games against the lesser teams I think he has a big role to play, I think he'll get caught out a lot against better teams due to his nature of wandering around the field

December 03, 2017, 11:36:08 AM
Reply #172

Thomas

For me he seems to be trying to emulate the Prilo type role of being a deep lying playmaker that still gets up and down the pitch. I'd normally be wary of this but I reckon he is capable of doing it, as long as he still chips in with quite a few goals.