December 12, 2017, 10:19:29 PM

Author Topic: DCL  (Read 2993 times)

December 04, 2017, 02:10:05 AM
Reply #45

howard1334

Honestly, how? What criticism can be fairly levelled against him?

I am fairly happy with his level of play, but there are definitely some criticisms that could be leveled against him. First, his finishing needs to improve, a lot. He has missed a fairly decent number of clear chances over the last two years. Second, his holdup play is pretty awful. He runs the channels very well and wins a decent number of flick-ons, but he can't play with his back to the defender and receive the ball into his feet. Lukaku, who everyone liked to shit on for his poor holdup, was far better at doing so. And DCL's failure to hold the ball up has been, in my view, one of the reasons we have struggled to keep possession in many matches this season.

These skills can come with time, especially as he finishes growing into his body and gets a bit stronger. I have high hopes. But let's not go crazy. He is no Rashfrod. And if we had a real first 11 striker, he would not be getting anywhere near as much playing time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:12:28 AM by howard1334 »

deCoubertin

December 04, 2017, 02:49:25 AM
Reply #46

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I'm someone that has been critical of him this season. I'll stand by that. I don't think he's good enough now to be a first team regular for a club with our aspirations, and I'm not convinced he'll improve to the extent that he will be in the future. Will he be good enough for another PL team, or to be a useful squad member for us? Sure, why not. But will he be a top, top striker? I'm really not convinced.

Obviously in today's world where deeply held opinions are made or undone in a game or two, I can see why so many people are suddenly singing his praises. I'm delighted that his flick which (I think, not sure) was actually intended for Davies ended up at Gylfi's feet for the first goal, and I'm thrilled that his shot took a massive deflection and went in for the second. But these incidents haven't done much to dispel my scepticism about how good DCL will be.

Obviously all this is caveated with the usual stuff that I hope I'm proved wrong, I understand he's a youngster who wasn't meant to be getting this much first team action, I understand he'll develop lots in the years ahead etc etc.

December 04, 2017, 03:03:20 AM
Reply #47

Major Clanger

Lukaku, who everyone liked to shit on for his poor holdup was far better at doing so.

Come on, Lukaku was absolutely dreadful with his back to the goal, he'd just stand there and let his defender nip in front of him 10 times out of 10.

Dom is already light years ahead of him in that area.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

December 04, 2017, 03:13:40 AM
Reply #48

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Come on, Lukaku was absolutely dreadful with his back to the goal, he'd just stand there and let his defender nip in front of him 10 times out of 10.

Donít agree with this.

Lukaku is / was miles ahead of him in this respect. It was frustrating that he didnít do it more; or that when it was bad it was far too easy.

But yet to see DCL even try something like this.

December 04, 2017, 03:30:28 AM
Reply #49

eyesalwaysblue

His hold up will improve with streength, he's already improved this year in that way, just needs more of the pies.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

December 04, 2017, 03:46:29 AM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Donít agree with this.

Lukaku is / was miles ahead of him in this respect. It was frustrating that he didnít do it more; or that when it was bad it was far too easy.

Yeah itís been more Marcus bent / Andy Johnson style chase the ball into channels and try and get a foot on it and face the defender or turn it inside.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

December 04, 2017, 03:50:06 AM
Reply #51

Bluedylan

Still amusing the stick Lukaku gets. Seems to be mainly borne out of bitterness.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

December 04, 2017, 03:57:00 AM
Reply #52

Major Clanger

Donít agree with this.

I don't know what "this" is, but the fact that he managed to do some good things once or twice a season is neither here nor there really. He never moved towards the ball when it was passed to him, so if his defender was alert enough, the ball wouldn't even reach him. That's rule 1 of hold-up play and Lukaku just couldn't do it, while DCL does it all the time.

And don't get me started on the number of times the ball just bounced five yards away off his foot.

Of course all this was more than compensated for by his finishing ability, which DCL lacks, but let's not start rewriting history.

December 04, 2017, 03:19:44 PM
Reply #53

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know what "this" is, but the fact that he managed to do some good things once or twice a season is neither here nor there really. He never moved towards the ball when it was passed to him, so if his defender was alert enough, the ball wouldn't even reach him. That's rule 1 of hold-up play and Lukaku just couldn't do it, while DCL does it all the time.

And don't get me started on the number of times the ball just bounced five yards away off his foot.

Of course all this was more than compensated for by his finishing ability, which DCL lacks, but let's not start rewriting history.

It was frustrating that he was inconsistent with it but letís not make out that he was Beckford-esque.

I wouldnít say that out hold up play has improved at all.

December 04, 2017, 03:52:18 PM
Reply #54

Lxxx

There are some definite weaknesses in his play which I think are more mental than physical and are the kind of things that you're either born with or not. He lacks basic aggression for one, similar to Lukaku. He might not be a mountain of a lad but he's still a decent size to be getting across a defender and making himself a nuisance by throwing in a forearm or backing in. Whether this can be taught by being a little cuter to win a cheap free kick to compensate I don't know but some games you hardly know he's playing for about 20 minute stints. May just be inexpereicne

He's got potential and hopefully with a manager to focus on him and maybe Rooney taking him under his wing he can improve but he'd greatly benefit from a bit of support from January onwards so he can continue to grow out of the team for periods.

December 04, 2017, 05:19:42 PM
Reply #55

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber

Sorry, didn't mean to like this. Just so awful a post and I thought it was the tool button.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 04, 2017, 05:24:37 PM
Reply #56

Major Clanger

It was frustrating that he was inconsistent with it but letís not make out that he was Beckford-esque.

I wouldnít say that out hold up play has improved at all.

Well, no, it hasn't overall but that's because we still don't get the second phase anywhere near right, there are no runners behind or easy passes available for the striker. Which is why I wasn't too worried about Lukaku's deficiency in this department.

December 05, 2017, 02:13:29 AM
Reply #57

howard1334

Nope. Strongly disagree. People are much more lenient with DCL.

December 05, 2017, 02:20:19 AM
Reply #58

Lxxx

Nope. Strongly disagree. People are much more lenient with DCL.

Well seeing as DCL has a fraction of the experience Lukaku had they'd be right to.

December 05, 2017, 05:44:43 PM
Reply #59

Ross

https://twitter.com/ScoutedFtbl/status/937732446061285376?s=17

Impressive stuff for a young lad but does really show what style of football weíve been playing and I suspect thereís plenty more headers for DCL to win.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:51:39 PM by Ross »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.