October 21, 2018, 10:58:48 AM

Author Topic: Gueye Gana be great  (Read 34852 times)

August 15, 2016, 10:46:05 AM
Reply #75

Jamokachi

Interesting that Villa fans didn't rate Gueye boy

Many did

August 15, 2016, 02:04:40 PM
Reply #76

MmmblueBernard

Love the fact he was playing in black boots.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:04:54 PM by MmmBlueToffee »
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 15, 2016, 02:59:18 PM
Reply #77

Lincs Toffee

Me too, i'm a bit disappointed Ross didn't continue from pre-season in his black boots, Ithink they look great...black is the new bright yellow!
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

August 15, 2016, 03:47:33 PM
Reply #78

hill135

reading between the lines of Ron's post-match comments I think Gueye is going to be his go-to man in midfield next to Barry, ahead of McCarthy. Fair enough. He deserves to stay in the team after that showing.

I wonder if his appearance at right wing back suggests McCarthy is going to be a utility man for the new manager.

August 15, 2016, 04:02:04 PM
Reply #79

Major Clanger

Racist!
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

August 15, 2016, 04:13:34 PM
Reply #80

Cozzie

August 15, 2016, 05:11:52 PM
Reply #81

Lxxx

reading between the lines of Ron's post-match comments I think Gueye is going to be his go-to man in midfield next to Barry, ahead of McCarthy. Fair enough. He deserves to stay in the team after that showing.

I wonder if his appearance at right wing back suggests McCarthy is going to be a utility man for the new manager.

I've said for a while I think McCarthy's best position is probably right back. He's sound defensively with jockeying his man and tackling and under Koeman he won't be encouraged to get forward as much as under Martinez. That's not to say he's better than Coleman but I think he could do a job if needed.

August 15, 2016, 06:17:41 PM
Reply #82

MmmblueBernard

McCarthy at right back is as bonkers as playing Baines in defensive midfield.

Never cross streams.

August 15, 2016, 06:18:54 PM
Reply #83

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

Never cross streams.

Not so sure. I remember Snodin reverting to right back and did very well. It's the easiest position on the pitch.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 15, 2016, 06:21:22 PM
Reply #84

Lxxx

Never cross streams.

Nothing like it.

August 15, 2016, 06:22:15 PM
Reply #85

MmmblueBernard

Not so sure. I remember Snodin reverting to right back and did very well. It's the easiest position on the pitch.

Our fullbacks are all about getting forward and joining with attacks.  McCarthy gets a nosebleed if he crosses the halfway line.

August 15, 2016, 06:38:18 PM
Reply #86

Lxxx

Our fullbacks WERE all about getting forward and joining with attacks.  McCarthy gets a nosebleed if he crosses the halfway line.

Fixed.

August 15, 2016, 06:38:29 PM
Reply #87

Cuttyblue

Well that's it for McCarthy.

And by the way, every one of you are horrible racists except me.

I'll do some more 21st century virtue signaling later.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:39:04 PM by Cuttyblue »

August 15, 2016, 07:30:49 PM
Reply #88

van der Meyde

To be fair, in what world does Gana remind someone of Pienaar? They have none of the same skills, they are both short and black - only thing even close to being similar.
The way Gueye would position his body to win the ball, essentially coming round the side and sticking his arse into the opponent, was similar to how Pienaar and Arteta (and Barry) would win the ball and get free kicks.

Arteta and Barry might be a better comparison due to his position, but his industry and work rate was definitely most similar to Pienaar's in recent years.

August 15, 2016, 08:02:54 PM
Reply #89

minty

Our fullbacks are all about getting forward and joining with attacks.  McCarthy gets a nosebleed if he crosses the halfway line.

I like that (almost) everyone slaughters Martinez as an awful manager but then suggests we play with almost the exact same style/shape/personnel (just swapping Gueye and McCarthy)