October 17, 2018, 07:35:48 AM

Author Topic: Rate our signings this season  (Read 2665 times)

March 23, 2018, 04:48:32 AM
Read 2665 times

Shogun

Administrator
With there only being a few weeks of the season left and it being an international break, let's see some overall assessments.

Pickford - 7 - Unfortunate for him that he's had to play behind a kid (Kenny), a multitude of average to terrible Cbs and a journeyman RB playing LB (Martina) all season but he's looked very good to me. A massive improvement on the likes of Joel and Howard in recent seasons.

Martina - 5 - I thought he was embarrassingly poor at RB but ironically has done alright at LB even if he does contribute to an attack once every 20 matches. Seems a solid pro but we should be doing better than him.

Keane - 4 - Some might think that's harsh but after a fairly decent start, I just can't believe how poor he's looked. His lack of pace and mobility is big concern for me and I can only hope we find the right CB partner for him. Whatever we paid for him was too much.

Klaassen - 2 - Has to be really. He hasn't had a sniff and was a passenger earlier on in the season. He does look like he might have something about him, though when you consider his price tag, He has been a miserable signing.

Sandro - 1 - Awful when he was on the pitch despite us clearly persisting with him and generally not good enough to get in a side crying out for an attacking threat. Already out of favour at Sevilla and can't see him being here next season.

Sigurdsson - 7 - A bit like Pickford that he's come into a poor team but I think his class has shown more and more throughout the season. His shooting ability, strength on the ball, unbelievable work rate and technical ability means he's absolutely been a success. A solid Pre-season and more stable Everton should see him flourish next season.

Vlasic - 5 - Just not had enough game time for whatever reason but he has produced some good stuff on the pitch... Toyed with a 6 but I just don't think we've seen enough of him despite obvious potential.

Rooney - 7 - Dipped at certain times this season but I didn't expect so many goals from him to be honest and considering his recent reputation then I commend him for staying at a good fitness level. Been an asset to us this season.

Tosun - 7 - Too early to say but good signs so far. Lacks pace but clearly a strong finisher and I think he's got the physicality to be a success in this league unlike say, Nikicia Jelavic.

Walcott - 7 - Similar to Tosun not enough time to judge but made a bright start. Showed the class he's gained from his experience at Arsenal.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:51:00 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

March 23, 2018, 06:59:41 AM
Reply #1

Tony Clifton

Can't argue with any of that, but must add:

Fans - 8.5

What a weird season, hopefully the making of us.

March 23, 2018, 09:16:58 AM
Reply #2

Ramjam

Allardyce -2- done just about enough to keep us out of trouble against some of the weaker opposition in the league (at home) but failed miserably against teams who could out smart his negative tactics, Wenger, Potch etc read him like the Sunday morning herald
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

March 23, 2018, 04:22:35 PM
Reply #3

di_guyo

Mostly agree with that, but I'd knock Rooney down to a 5 or 6 and Sigurdsson the same. The first because I don't think he's helped our style of play, the latter because you have to take the cost into account and he's not justified it...yet.
Everton & Atleti

March 23, 2018, 04:32:37 PM
Reply #4

Macca77

Pickford  8 - Steady first season, will be our number 1 for the next 10 years and will improve, excellent signing
Martina  4 - Feel sorry for him, played out of position for most of the season, nowhere near good enough
Keane  5 - Bad first season, looks very low on confidence , hopefully will improve with a better manager
Klaassen  3 - Been harshly treated, needs a run of games before anyone can judge him really
Sandro  1 - Not good enough, simple really, no loss to us and should get our money back
Rooney  7 - Good to see him back, steady season
Sigurdsson  8 - Tough start for him, fans got on his back due to the huge fee we paid, but turned his form around and started to show his class, great signing
Vlasic  4 - Not seen enough of him to judge, looked ok in flashes but don't get the hype from fans
Walcott  7 - Excellent signing, looking forward to seeing him next season
Tosun  7 - Same as Walcott, hopefully this fella will turn out to be the big number 9 we've been looking for

March 23, 2018, 10:00:52 PM
Reply #5

D15TIN

Pickford 8 - Potentially our GK for the next 10 years, hasn't played with a settled defence all season, he'll be great next season I think, made a few mistakes here and there, which is to be expected from a young GK, he'll be worth the money

Keane 5 - Think he needs to form a partnership with a new CB next season, hopefully a left footer with a fair amount of pace

Klaasen 2 - Shite, not particularly good at anything- not quick, or strong, not a great passer of the ball from what ive seen, looks too weak for the PL imo.

Sandro 1 - Won't play for Everton again, really disappointing thought he'd be a great signing, another not really cut out for the league, think we played him the wrong way at times though

Sigurdsson 7.5 - Started slowly, had no pre season etc, the last few months were starting to see the best of him in a central role, think he'll be an asset next season

Rooney 7 - Been pretty much what we expected I think, looks quality against the mid table/bottom half sides, I think he gets caught out a bit now against the pace and quality of the top 6 sides, needs to stop taking penalties too, but a good season for him.

Vlasic 5 - Should be more involved from the bench for the rest of the season, he's got quality - should be tested in the number 10 position whilst Sigurdsson is out.

Walcott 8 - Been really impressed- LBs must hate seeing him and coleman, and not seen anything to support arsenals fans claims that he was crap, think their squad is weaker now as a result of him leaving.

Tosun 8 - Early signs suggest we have our new first choice number 9 for the next few years, strong, brave and a good finisher, think he'll become really popular here

Martina 5 - Feel a bit for him, he said himself earlier in the season he was surprised how many games he'd played, IMO our fans can't slag him off playing on his wrong side and then give unbelievable support to Davy Klaasen, whose shown nothing and earns a much higher wage.

March 23, 2018, 11:41:52 PM
Reply #6

kramer0

Pickford - Looks like he'll be a reliable keeper for a long time if we hold on to him. Could be great with the right coaching and more experience. Worth it.  :thumbsup:
Klaassen - He could be a good player but not for a defensive team that attacks so directly. I'm not sure why we thought he'd be a fit for Koeman's style. Do your homework, Everton!  :wag:
Oneykuru - Cheap and looked great for Anderlecht this season. There's nothing we could have done about the injury. Hopefully he returns to full fitness and gets a work permit for next season.   :-\ but I really liked the thinking behind this move.
Keane - I'm not entirely sure what to make of him. He defends well when we sit in our own penalty area and I think he's a useful passer. On the other hand, he's slow and looks awful when asked to defend in space (it's possible that this has something to do with the cut on his foot not healing properly but who knows). And I question the logic of signing another low-block defender, especially after Koeman spent an entire year talking about pressing.  :wag:
Sandro - Another example of our transfer team not doing their homework. Goal tallies don't tell the full story for attacking players. This guy scored a bunch from distance and odd angles last season and even given regular opportunities here, he was unlikely to produce like that again. It was a bargain fee but the wages were crazy for what he really was.   :wag:
Rooney - Awkward fit in the constantly changing, disorganized mess that was Koeman's Everton. Has been an integral to all of our competent performances in a deeper midfield role. Long-term, we need a better midfield passer but for now, I'm made up that we have him.  :thumbsup:
Martina - Was a complete mess under Koeman. Settled down under Allardyce and generally defended well in an unnatural position. :clap: for how he's handled himself and how much he's improved.   :wag: at the three year contract and the decision not to sign a better player (or players).
Sigurdsson - Has a touch of class and works incredibly hard without the ball. Not nearly involved enough in build-ups or our general attacking play though. He's a good player but with a definite ceiling which is a problem for how much time and money we invested in this deal.  :wag:
Vlasic - I've enjoyed watching him on the occasions he's played (good strength and balance, looks like he thinks before he tries stuff) but who knows if he's actually any good.   :-\
Walcott - If we want to target experienced players, this is how it's done. His underlying numbers (like shots, expected goals, expected assists) looked good throughout his Arsenal career and he was no longer wanted there. He's been our best player since he arrived. Needs to sustain this level for more than half a season but  :thumbsup:
Tosun - I wasn't the biggest fan of the deal given the league he came from (Turkey, where 30+ year old former stars regularly top the scoring charts) and the price. I'm still not sure what to make of him. Could be a genuinely good player, could be a "meh" forward riding a conversion hot streak.  :-\ for now, with the potential for a  :thumbsup: if he keeps finding good shots and scoring.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:13:42 AM by kramer0 »

March 24, 2018, 12:29:38 AM
Reply #7

howard1334

Pickford - Looks like he'll be a reliable keeper for a long time if we hold on to him. Could be great with the right coaching and more experience. Worth it.  :thumbsup:
Klaassen - He could be a good player but not for a defensive team that attacks so directly. I'm not sure why we thought he'd be a fit for Koeman's style. Do your homework, Everton!  :wag:
Oneykuru - Cheap and looked great for Anderlecht this season. There's nothing we could have done about the injury. Hopefully he returns to full fitness and gets a work permit for next season.   :-\ but I really liked the thinking behind this move.
Keane - I'm not entirely sure what to make of him. He defends well when we sit in our own penalty area and I think he's a useful passer. On the other hand, he's slow and looks awful when asked to defend in space (it's possible that this has something to do with the cut on his foot not healing properly but who knows). And I question the logic of signing another low-block defender, especially after Koeman spent an entire year talking about pressing.  :wag:
Sandro - Another example of our transfer team not doing their homework. Goal tallies don't tell the full story for attacking players. This guy scored a bunch from distance and odd angles last season and even given regular opportunities here, he was unlikely to produce like that again. It was a bargain fee but the wages were crazy for what he really was.   :wag:
Rooney - Awkward fit in the constantly changing, disorganized mess that was Koeman's Everton. Has been an integral to all of our competent performances in a deeper midfield role. Long-term, we need a better midfield passer but for now, I'm made up that we have him.  :thumbsup:
Martina - Was a complete mess under Koeman. Settled down under Allardyce and generally defended well in an unnatural position. :clap: for how he's handled himself and how much he's improved.   :wag: at the three year contract and the decision not to sign a better player (or players).
Sigurdsson - Has a touch of class and works incredibly hard without the ball. Not nearly involved enough in build-ups or our general attacking play though. He's a good player but with a definite ceiling which is a problem for how much time and money we invested in this deal.  :wag:
Vlasic - I've enjoyed watching him on the occasions he's played (good strength and balance, looks like he thinks before he tries stuff) but who knows if he's actually any good.   :-\
Walcott - If we want to target experienced players, this is how it's done. His underlying numbers (like shots, expected goals, expected assists) looked good throughout his Arsenal career and he was no longer wanted there. He's been our best player since he arrived. Needs to sustain this level for more than half a season but  :thumbsup:
Tosun - I wasn't the biggest fan of the deal given the league he came from (Turkey, where 30+ year old former stars regularly top the scoring charts) and the price. I'm still not sure what to make of him. Could be a genuinely good player, could be a "meh" forward riding a conversion hot streak.  :-\ for now, with the potential for a  :thumbsup: if he keeps finding good shots and scoring.

I think you assessment of the transfer team wrt Sandro is a bit harsh. Its not like he emerged at Malaga out of thin air or that we were his only suitors. He came from Barcelona, where he played 32 matches and scored 7 goals; he has received caps from Spain's youth teams from u-14 up, and we stole him out from underneath the nose of Atletico Madrid, a top 7 team over the last several years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:42:07 AM by howard1334 »

March 24, 2018, 02:19:51 AM
Reply #8

KoemansNumberTens

Sandro wasn’t a bad signing purely because at the price we’ll get our money back regardless

March 24, 2018, 02:51:06 AM
Reply #9

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Mostly agree with that, but I'd knock Rooney down to a 5 or 6 and Sigurdsson the same. The first because I don't think he's helped our style of play, the latter because you have to take the cost into account and he's not justified it...yet.

Been integral imo, we’ve needed him badly in the middle of the pitch.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 24, 2018, 03:06:50 AM
Reply #10

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Sandro wasnt a bad signing because he's not a bad player.  He's still very young and we completely misused him at a time he was trying to adapt to a new country and a new style of league.  It'll probably take him a couple of years to get over how we fucked his development.  As a rating its a 1, but not his fault at all.

Klaassen again another good player misused, and then cast out.  2, solely because he was involved in the goal opening day, else he'd have been a 1 too.

Keane is trickier.  He's not played with a settled defence, we don't play the same setup which he looked good in at Burnley, and he's had a few injuries.  He's been disappointing, but not a write off yet. 5

Pickford has again been misused (There's a pattern developing here).  Take a keeper who's main attribute is his ability to distribute the ball quickly and accurately and put him in a team with no width or pace.  He's made a few mistakes, but you can't hold that against him when he's spent the season behind a defence that is probably as bad as the one he got relegated with last year. 7

Martina got the shitty end of stick made of shit.  He's not very good.  He wasnt good enough for Southampton, so why would he be good enough for us?  He also kept a local lad who everyone wanted to see succeed out the team.  And also played in a shit defence.  Then he got moved to the opposite side of that defence and unsurprisingly didnt set the world alight. 3, but no one really expected much more.

Sigurdsson has also been misused and moved around a lot to fit him in a side that didnt really suit him.  I like him a lot, but its hard to say he's been a resounding success based on the price he cost.  7, but would have been higher if he'd cost £15m less.

Rooney has scored more than I expected, but mainly because I expected this move to be a disaster.  Without him this year we'd have been completely toothless, and that needs addressing in the summer.

Tosun I like the look of.  Treated badly to start with, but he's kept at it and knows where the net is and can find it.  Excited for next season. 8

Walcott has been better than i expected.  If we coukd clone him for the left wing we'd be laughing. 8

Vlasic i really dont get the love for.  He's been alright, and thats about it. 5

Onyekuru could have been interesting, but his injury has possibly put him back a year work permit wise.  And he's a bellend on FM so i've taken against him already. N/A
My momma says I'm special.

March 24, 2018, 03:11:40 AM
Reply #11

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
This season has kind of proved the point that you can't buy that many players at once and be successful, but the sad thing is we probably need to buy a similar amount this summer to fix the holes in the squad that are still there....
My momma says I'm special.

March 24, 2018, 07:34:20 PM
Reply #12

Ridge

Pickford - 5 - Excellent shot stopper, technically very good on the ball. Decisive, bit timid as a keeper, not commanding and allows space behind and deeper crosses.
Martina - 4 - Was bought as cover, joint 3rd for assists, one of the top passers, in defence only Keane has started more. Pretty solid in defence and athletic enough to link play, but limited.
Keane - 2 - Has been at partly at fault for about as many goals as games he's started. Slower than Distin on his milk round, caught out either side. Has shown glimpses of being a great defender and passer, but overall dreadful.
Klaassen - 3 - Had no chances, not given a chance to grow or play into side.
Sandro - 3 - Had no chances, not given a chance to grow or play into side.
Sigurdsson - 4 - Reliable and hard working, very good crosser of the ball and scored some very good goals, but in open play more of a decent squad player and doesn't help team shape or play.
Vlasic - 4 - Has looked good on the ball and bizarre how few chances he's got.
Rooney - 5 - Scored some important goals and worry where we would be without them.
Tosun - 6 - Looks a decent player since he started finding the net. A good finisher and a good battering ram type forward.
Walcott - 5 - Very quick, direct, can finish and put in the odd cross, bit of a 1 trick pony, but it's an efffective trick.

March 24, 2018, 07:48:25 PM
Reply #13

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford - 5 - Excellent shot stopper, technically very good on the ball. Decisive, bit timid as a keeper, not commanding and allows space behind and deeper crosses.
Martina - 4 - Was bought as cover, joint 3rd for assists, one of the top passers, in defence only Keane has started more. Pretty solid in defence and athletic enough to link play, but limited.
Keane - 2 - Has been at partly at fault for about as many goals as games he's started. Slower than Distin on his milk round, caught out either side. Has shown glimpses of being a great defender and passer, but overall dreadful.
Klaassen - 3 - Had no chances, not given a chance to grow or play into side.
Sandro - 3 - Had no chances, not given a chance to grow or play into side.
Sigurdsson - 4 - Reliable and hard working, very good crosser of the ball and scored some very good goals, but in open play more of a decent squad player and doesn't help team shape or play.
Vlasic - 4 - Has looked good on the ball and bizarre how few chances he's got.
Rooney - 5 - Scored some important goals and worry where we would be without them.
Tosun - 6 - Looks a decent player since he started finding the net. A good finisher and a good battering ram type forward.
Walcott - 5 - Very quick, direct, can finish and put in the odd cross, bit of a 1 trick pony, but it's an efffective trick.

I don't get some of these ratings at all.

You praised players then given them 4/5s.

Your rating and description of sigurdson is particularly baffling.

Reliable, very good crosser, hard working, and scored some very important goals, yet he gets a 4?

Walcott a 5 as well?

March 24, 2018, 07:59:59 PM
Reply #14

Heisenberg

There's been some proper shit shouts on these forums, and this is up there with the shittest of the shit. 5, jesus.