November 23, 2017, 06:06:25 AM

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 6136 times)

November 01, 2017, 02:13:05 AM
Reply #15

KoemansNumberTens

And we've got rid of the clown responsible for those performances

It's not quite as simple as that though. Our full backs and strikers are still pretty dreadful. Might be the worst in the league. We've got plenty of decent players but the holes are almost impossible to plug until the new year

deCoubertin

November 01, 2017, 02:18:41 AM
Reply #16

kramer0

Think we are in some trouble if we continue with some of the same team selections that simply haven't worked

Unsworth has had only two games in charge and, despite getting the midfield wrong against Leicester, he hasn't put out anything like some of the shambolic teams that Koeman picked. Players are being chosen in their natural positions, our spacing is good, and we've actually been able to control the ball some. Another week on the training ground should see even better organization and less of the individual errors that cost us goals last week (losing Rudiger on a corner kick, Davies and Gana pursuing the ball too aggressively after a free kick, Kenny missing his clearance).

I still honestly believe that Unsworth is the right man until May. Results are on the way. Only a little more patience is required.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:21:09 AM by kramer0 »

November 01, 2017, 02:21:58 AM
Reply #17

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
3 points and we’re mid table
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 01, 2017, 02:36:08 AM
Reply #18

KoemansNumberTens

Unsworth has had only two games in charge and, despite getting the midfield wrong against Leicester, he hasn't put out anything like some of the shambolic teams that Koeman picked. Players are being chosen in their natural positions, our spacing is good, and we've actually been able to control the ball some. Another week on the training ground should see even better organization and less of the individual errors that cost us goals last week (losing Rudiger on a corner kick, Davies and Gana pursuing the ball too aggressively after a free kick, Kenny missing his clearance).

I still honestly believe that Unsworth is the right man until May. Results are on the way. Only a little more patience is required.

I hope you're right. To be honest I'm not desperate for us to make an appointment. I'd be reasonably happy with a few on the list (including the 2 names people seem horrified by) but I'm also not massively delighted by any of them.

I do have a real issue with Sandro and Vlasic not being in the squad though and lookman not getting any minutes. Tend to think all 3 decisions aren't easy to explain away.
Think if DCL plays til Jan we'll be in the bottom 3 at least til then. We have to search for something that works better and the fact that the other obvious option in sandro wasn't even in contention I find a massive worry

November 01, 2017, 02:41:04 AM
Reply #19

GrantyBoy78

We’ve been awful and can’t defend or score - that’s fact and that’s why we’re worried.

Saying we’ll get better is pure conjecture and there’s so evidence of it. Pure arrogance.

November 01, 2017, 02:42:32 AM
Reply #20

bluenuck

It's the manner of many of the losses though

We're being well beaten rather than losing unluckily by the odd goal

Any combination of the back 4 have been diabolical

The midfield is badly out of form

Up front we can't rely on anyone to score

We're in massive trouble here and any new manager will have a huge job on their hands

While I think @Simon Paul  is right that we should keep our heads about us and we shouldn't start freaking out, I also think with every thing he said this ^^^ also has to be taken into account. We look very bad and I can't see where goals are going to come from. We have to score if we want to move up the table.

November 01, 2017, 02:51:13 AM
Reply #21

Mayor Farnum

The year Joe Royale saved us he took over in the 14th game and we were not safe until the penultimate game of the season. We need to address our current situation very soon.

November 01, 2017, 03:06:47 AM
Reply #22

Simon Paul

Administrator
We've been awful and can't defend or score - that's fact and that's why we're worried.

Saying we'll get better is pure conjecture and there's so evidence of it. Pure arrogance.

I do possess phenomenal footballing arrogance to be fair

But we have 28 games to sort this. We will sort this. The panic is pure embarrassment at the moment.

November 01, 2017, 03:07:27 AM
Reply #23

kramer0

I hope you're right. To be honest I'm not desperate for us to make an appointment. I'd be reasonably happy with a few on the list (including the 2 names people seem horrified by) but I'm also not massively delighted by any of them.

I do have a real issue with Sandro and Vlasic not being in the squad though and lookman not getting any minutes. Tend to think all 3 decisions aren't easy to explain away.
Think if DCL plays til Jan we'll be in the bottom 3 at least til then. We have to search for something that works better and the fact that the other obvious option in sandro wasn't even in contention I find a massive worry

We agree on Vlasic. He's earned the right to be in the starting eleven.

I understand the logic behind dropping Sandro... for now. He's had trouble with basic things like controlling the ball with his first touch and he's generally been shy about getting into the penalty area. I do agree that he needs another look, though. He's shown some nice direct passing, which we're really hurting for, and he's likely to look a lot better in a functional side.

Early indications are that Unsworth likes Lookman, as evidenced by him being on the bench ahead of Vlasic and Sandro. He will get his chances given time.

I'd actually add some players to your list. At some point, Unsworth has to bring Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, and Klaassen back into the team. All of those players are capable of contributing something, with the former two probably being worthy of starting places if they get back to even average form. Sigurdsson is going to be particularly important. For a team that has trouble scoring, set pieces are essential. And he's obviously capable of much better deliveries than what we've seen so far (see any of his Swansea seasons).

So, yeah. Unsworth's not been perfect but I still think there's a lot of promise in what he's shown so far.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:28:21 AM by kramer0 »

November 01, 2017, 03:16:21 AM
Reply #24

Rhys

We’ve been awful and can’t defend or score - that’s fact and that’s why we’re worried.

Saying we’ll get better is pure conjecture and there’s so evidence of it. Pure arrogance.

You could say the same in 2005/6 when we lost 7 out of the first 8, went out of 2 European competitions and the league cup at the first rounds in all 3. We were bottom of the league well into October, around the bottom 3 going into the new year and came 11th.

It's very difficult to see where any points or form will come from when you havent had any so far. Plus it feels worse because while it is only 9 league games its 17 games in all competitions. The reality is we are 8 points off 7th which is Burnley and while it is guess work all round, I'd be willing to bet money they will slide as the season goes on, we rise and they arent near us from points perspective as the season ends.

Our squad has gaps clearly, where the goals are coming from is a hard question to answer. But even with this squad there is no way we will continue with only Rooney and Niasse as PL goalscorers. People like Sigurdssson, Mirallas if he plays, the centre midfielders, defenders from set pieces even will start chipping in with some goals. We wont score a lot or freely right now but defensively we can tighten up. Players are in rock bottom form, get some results see their confidence rise and if we start keeping some clean sheets we can start picking up results to get us up the league.

We arent likely to be anywhere near the top 6 but even with the problems we need to address in January, and the manager, can still aim for 7th because there are so many points to play for and there are so many poor teams in the league. Guesswork and who knows for sure what will happen, but it's 29 league games left there is no need for people to go into full panic mode like a lot seem to have done there is so much time and so many games to turn the form around, get some momentum and to get enough points.

November 01, 2017, 03:24:26 AM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

If this proud and noble club hires Sam Fucking Allardyce, it will be a disgrace and we would deserve to go down. End of.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 01, 2017, 03:29:39 AM
Reply #26

Mayor Farnum

If this proud and noble club hires Sam Fucking Allardyce, it will be a disgrace and we would deserve to go down. End of.

I know. I mean who does Allardyce think he is? We won the FA Cup in 1995 you know!

November 01, 2017, 03:33:43 AM
Reply #27

Evertonian in NC

Yes, I'm aware just now much the name Everton Football Club still means to you. I will keep my head raised higher than that, thanks.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 01, 2017, 03:34:09 AM
Reply #28

KoemansNumberTens

Are they not doing a league table based on results anymore. Surely the argument would be that if we hired him we'd deserve to stay up but never achieve anything more?

November 01, 2017, 03:36:48 AM
Reply #29

KoemansNumberTens

We agree on Vlasic. He's earned the right to be in the starting eleven.

I understand the logic behind dropping Sandro... for now. He's had trouble with basic things like controlling the ball with his first touch and he's generally been shy about getting into the penalty area. I do agree that he needs another look, though. He's shown some nice direct passing, which we're really hurting for, and he's likely to look a lot better in a functional side.

Early indications are that Unsworth likes Lookman, as evidenced by him being on the bench ahead of Vlasic and Sandro. He will get his chances given time.

I'd actually add some players to your list. At some point, Unsworth has to bring Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, and Klaassen back into the team. All of those players are capable of contributing something, with the former two probably being worthy of starting places if they get back to even average form. Sigurdsson is going to be particularly important. For a team that has trouble scoring, set pieces are essential. And he's obviously capable of much better deliveries than what we've seen so far (see any of his Swansea seasons).

So, yeah. Unsworth's not been perfect but I still think there's a lot of promise in what he's shown so far.

More than happy to see unsworth get more time and I was in favour of him getting the job. I just have a real fear that when we line up next weekend we'll be missing the exact same players. If that happens then he's a bit like Martinez as in can't fix what he doesn't see. Let's see who he picks for the Watford game