November 23, 2017, 06:04:51 AM

Author Topic: Jordan Pickford  (Read 3914 times)

November 13, 2017, 03:39:46 PM
Reply #60

BlueNoseMike

Go on then, i'll take the bait, name 5 better keepers than him.

I'd love to know too.

De Gea, Lloris and Courtois are the stand outs of the league. You'd possibly say Ederson at City?

The others are not obviously better or are worse. Cech is on the decline and Butland is probably going to be competing with Pickford long term for the England No 1 Jersey

deCoubertin

November 13, 2017, 03:48:13 PM
Reply #61

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Fair dos but we are 18 games into the season and having to go back to the stoke game...says it all for me and as of yet he hasn't looked like a 30m keeper for everton or a massive improvement on what we had.

TBF for Pickford to have made a save to win us the game the rest of the team have had to put him in that situation. Which they haven't done a lot of so he can't be blamed for that.The other one that springs to mind is the 1-on-1 with Defoe in the Bournemouth game. Turned the game that.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

November 13, 2017, 04:25:31 PM
Reply #62

BlueNoseMike

TBF for Pickford to have made a save to win us the game the rest of the team have had to put him in that situation. Which they haven't done a lot of so he can't be blamed for that.The other one that springs to mind is the 1-on-1 with Defoe in the Bournemouth game. Turned the game that.

100% this. How can you have a go at him for not making any match winning saves when we've rarely been in a match winning position? Since the City game we've conceded the first goal of the game in 14 out of 16 games (I think). How is Pickford going to make a difference in tight games or save us points when there's games we've been absolutely battered in and others where we've already conceded and we having got the players up top to turn games around or get back into the games (bar the odd result here and there).

He kept us in the Arsenal game on his own until it went pear shaped, has made good saves in other games and was a pretty commanding figure in the City game. I can't recall a howler for any of the goals (I'd love get a look at expected saves and all them other stats and see where he ranks)

He also has a bit of bite about him, loved when he bollocked Rooney and gave Sanchez a bit of aggro. He's got that quality that I think most Evertonians love and comes across as hard working and passionate.

November 13, 2017, 04:46:29 PM
Reply #63

Macca77

I'd love to know too.

De Gea, Lloris and Courtois are the stand outs of the league. You'd possibly say Ederson at City?

The others are not obviously better or are worse. Cech is on the decline and Butland is probably going to be competing with Pickford long term for the England No 1 Jersey

He's already better than Courtois and Ederson

November 13, 2017, 04:50:49 PM
Reply #64

Jamokachi

I really like the look of Ederson. Courtois isn't living up to the hype, though he's still a top, top 'keeper.

November 13, 2017, 04:50:55 PM
Reply #65

Lxxx

However good he is now, or not, he'll get better so it's about the only position on the pitch we don't need to worry about moving forwards.

November 13, 2017, 05:32:50 PM
Reply #66

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Come on now.

Let's calm down a tad.

November 13, 2017, 05:54:23 PM
Reply #67

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Arguably more question marks over him now than there was before wed kicked a ball.

Very, very far down the list of issues tho.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 13, 2017, 05:57:22 PM
Reply #68

Macca77

Come on now.

Let's calm down a tad.

I will not, he's the greatest goalkeeper in the entire universe

November 13, 2017, 06:22:18 PM
Reply #69

Bluedylan

Arguably more question marks over him now than there was before wed kicked a ball.

Very, very far down the list of issues tho.

Not havin that at all.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 13, 2017, 06:27:52 PM
Reply #70

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not havin that at all.

Fair enough.

Personally Im not into his mad rushing out, have any of them worked yet? Generally I love that in a keeper and its how I play myself in goal but maybe hes just like bad at it? Maybe not. Question mark.

Same for the parrying into the 6 yard box, maybe hes had no choice, maybe its by chance, maybe its a pattern. Question mark.

In general Im a fan and I like him as a player. A good signing and as I say, very low down in our list of issues!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 13, 2017, 06:49:02 PM
Reply #71

Bluedylan

Fair enough.

Personally Im not into his mad rushing out, have any of them worked yet? Generally I love that in a keeper and its how I play myself in goal but maybe hes just like bad at it? Maybe not. Question mark.

Same for the parrying into the 6 yard box, maybe hes had no choice, maybe its by chance, maybe its a pattern. Question mark.

In general Im a fan and I like him as a player. A good signing and as I say, very low down in our list of issues!

I think the coming off his line quickly will be a big asset when we have a competent central defence who are confident at pushing up and leaving space in behind.

I take your point about parrying it back into the box, and maybe that is an area he could work on but again I feel like a lot of the initial saves are gilt-edged, point blank saves that he's done well to stop at all, and that will improve when we improve defensively and stop giving teams 5 1v1s per game.

Given what a mess we've been I think Pickford's been admirably good overall. I've said it before but we hyper-analyse keepers in a way we don't with outfield players.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 13, 2017, 06:51:50 PM
Reply #72

kramer0

He didn't start the "mad rushing out" until the team started to get desperate. When things calm down again defensively, I think he'll stop doing it. If he's still doing it in a year or two... maybe we should be concerned.

This is easily one of the better pieces of business we did this summer. All of the raw tools are there and he seems to have a brain, as well. We should be looking into hiring a top goalkeeping coach to get the most out of our investment.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:53:35 PM by kramer0 »

November 13, 2017, 07:11:20 PM
Reply #73

Trowel

I think Butland still has the edge, and is only a year older.

But... I don't spend anything like the same time analysing Butland in detail so I rarely see or hear of his minor errors.

Also it's difficult to quantify the cost of injuries, something which Butland is developing a nasty habit for.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

November 13, 2017, 08:05:41 PM
Reply #74

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Im not concerned about any of this, but he has more question marks than he did at the start of the season.