December 13, 2017, 02:04:21 AM

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 6871 times)

November 01, 2017, 06:42:25 AM
Reply #45

eyesalwaysblue

We've been on a race to the bottom from way before the end of last season. Kxoeman could not have done a worse job, let's hope the Everton spirit returns in the next games, would love to see Unsworth be the hero.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

deCoubertin

November 01, 2017, 07:03:43 AM
Reply #46

Evertonian in NC

I don't deny we are in trouble, we just need one of any number of proper professionals to set things right AND be a proper leader with actual vision for the future. Overreacting is as bad as underreacting.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 01, 2017, 12:23:36 PM
Reply #47

KoemansNumberTens

I don't deny we are in trouble, we just need one of any number of proper professionals to set things right AND be a proper leader with actual vision for the future. Overreacting is as bad as underreacting.

Think you're in denial. We've been the worst side in the entire league. We don't "just need" anything. If we don't change something quickly this could spiral. We deserve to have about 2 points. So far it's only luck that has stopped us being in complete crisis.

November 01, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
Reply #48

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I fail that believe that the loss of solely Lukaku, as important as he was, means that we go from 15 points clear of 8th to the worst side in the league.

It’s stretching things pessimistically quite some way considering that we have actually signed players, half of them proven in the PL to improve the other areas of the pitch.

So based on that it must be taken into account that we are at the lowest possible ebb of our form and therefore, yes we do look awful.

But the other teams down there are like that every year. They’re not going to get any better across the season.

Some, if not all, like Burnley, that are doing well will get worse as the season goes on.

We’ve sacked a manager because he couldn’t get his points across to a group of players that should be doing better.

Anyone thinking that we’re the worst team in the league must surely not agree with sacking Koeman unless it’s based purely on a relative level of influence over not signing a striker?

November 01, 2017, 02:07:27 PM
Reply #49

GrantyBoy78

We’re playing some pretty poor teams in the coming weeks so we’ll soon have a better idea of where we are.

November 01, 2017, 02:55:08 PM
Reply #50

Rhys

Think you're in denial. We've been the worst side in the entire league. We don't "just need" anything. If we don't change something quickly this could spiral. We deserve to have about 2 points. So far it's only luck that has stopped us being in complete crisis.

It isnt luck to have a very good keeper that made crucial saves to help us win against Stoke and Bournemouth. Yes we werent great in either game but thats one of the reasons why we paid 30m for a really good keeper prospect to make big saves in big moments of games to help us win matches.

November 01, 2017, 03:03:52 PM
Reply #51

Macca77

Next five prem fixtures

Watford
Palace
Southampton
West Ham
Huddersfield

3 wins from them i reckon

November 01, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
Reply #52

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I fail that believe that the loss of solely Lukaku, as important as he was, means that we go from 15 points clear of 8th to the worst side in the league.

It’s stretching things pessimistically quite some way considering that we have actually signed players, half of them proven in the PL to improve the other areas of the pitch.

So based on that it must be taken into account that we are at the lowest possible ebb of our form and therefore, yes we do look awful.

But the other teams down there are like that every year. They’re not going to get any better across the season.

Some, if not all, like Burnley, that are doing well will get worse as the season goes on.

We’ve sacked a manager because he couldn’t get his points across to a group of players that should be doing better.

Anyone thinking that we’re the worst team in the league must surely not agree with sacking Koeman unless it’s based purely on a relative level of influence over not signing a striker?

I think losing Lukaku was massive, yes. I also think not replacing him was massive - two force multipliers in making us shite IMO and different things. We didn’t not replace only his Goals, but his threat, his strength, his pace on the break to stretch teams, his defending from corners which was oddly good. He did more for us than score and brought more than Goals to the side.

We’ve also lost Bolassie, Coleman and Barkley to injury with no clear idea of when they’ll be back or to what level - another £90m at least of talent not currently able to be utilised. Youth, athletic ability and creativity as well as passing from the midfield.

We then sold Gareth Barry, I’m sure you’re a fan and I don’t need to tell you what he brought.

And finally key players are another year older, and new players are not hitting the beats we need them to.

We are the worst side in the league bar maybe palace, and they look ready to turn it round.

Being completely honest - I thought sacking Koeman would do one thing which was alleviate pressure on the fans and on the players from the fans. It was time for a change and thats fine but it’s startling how bad we still look.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 01, 2017, 03:36:20 PM
Reply #53

KoemansNumberTens

It isnt luck to have a very good keeper that made crucial saves to help us win against Stoke and Bournemouth. Yes we werent great in either game but thats one of the reasons why we paid 30m for a really good keeper prospect to make big saves in big moments of games to help us win matches.

That's probably a fair point. Worst outfield team in the league and 3rd bottom thanks to keeping brilliance? Still requires a massive job to fix it

November 01, 2017, 03:43:32 PM
Reply #54

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think losing Lukaku was massive, yes. I also think not replacing him was massive - two force multipliers in making us shite IMO and different things. We didn’t not replace only his Goals, but his threat, his strength, his pace on the break to stretch teams, his defending from corners which was oddly good. He did more for us than score and brought more than Goals to the side.

We’ve also lost Bolassie, Coleman and Barkley to injury with no clear idea of when they’ll be back or to what level - another £90m at least of talent not currently able to be utilised. Youth, athletic ability and creativity as well as passing from the midfield.

We then sold Gareth Barry, I’m sure you’re a fan and I don’t need to tell you what he brought.

And finally key players are another year older, and new players are not hitting the beats we need them to.

We are the worst side in the league bar maybe palace, and they look ready to turn it round.

Being completely honest - I thought sacking Koeman would do one thing which was alleviate pressure on the fans and on the players from the fans. It was time for a change and thats fine but it’s startling how bad we still look.

Barkley will be back or we’ve signed players to replace him, particularly Sigurdsson who hasn’t been good or being used now.

Bolasie missed all of our strong second half of the season so shouldn’t be a factor in the decline.

Coleman yes, obviously is a miss, but again he missed a good chunk of the second half.

And no one liked Lukaku more than me so I appreciate what he brought.

But that shouldn’t rule out being generally competent at everything else.

November 01, 2017, 03:54:37 PM
Reply #55

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Barkley will be back or we’ve signed players to replace him, particularly Sigurdsson who hasn’t been good or being used now.

Bolasie missed all of our strong second half of the season so shouldn’t be a factor in the decline.

Coleman yes, obviously is a miss, but again he missed a good chunk of the second half.

And no one liked Lukaku more than me so I appreciate what he brought.

But that shouldn’t rule out being generally competent at everything else.

Not sure, appreciate the thought you give as a poster so this is giving me pause I admit but when I look it I’m only seeing trouble.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 01, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
Reply #56

Lxxx

The midfield is for me where we've dropped off a cliff. Granted we've lost a goal threat but we had a pretty solid team last season, bar some poor individual results which skewed the stats a little. This season we offer nothing in the middle of the park, no protection for the back four, no support to the strikers, no attempt at being progressive with the ball, no energy.

We could get away with not having much threat up top as long as we were a solid team and you're always in with a chance of sneaking a goal via a set piece or a bit of good play. However teams are walking through us at will, getting to the back four with ease and the gap between DCL and the rest is too big.

Barry going was a huge mistake, which says a lot when you consider his age and ability to play consecutive games but it's true. This whole season has been a succession of poor decisions.

November 01, 2017, 04:20:01 PM
Reply #57

dazfrancis

The midfield is for me where we've dropped off a cliff. Granted we've lost a goal threat but we had a pretty solid team last season, bar some poor individual results which skewed the stats a little. This season we offer nothing in the middle of the park, no protection for the back four, no support to the strikers, no attempt at being progressive with the ball, no energy.

We could get away with not having much threat up top as long as we were a solid team and you're always in with a chance of sneaking a goal via a set piece or a bit of good play. However teams are walking through us at will, getting to the back four with ease and the gap between DCL and the rest is too big.

Barry going was a huge mistake, which says a lot when you consider his age and ability to play consecutive games but it's true. This whole season has been a succession of poor decisions.

Gana and in particular Schneiderlin were bossing it 2nd half of last season. Schneiderlin's performances in particular have fallen  off a cliff but I don't think Barry would be the silver bullet he is currently being made out to be. He probably would have suffered from the awful system the previous manager was trying to employ. It's a weird situation because if you look at all the midfielders on our books we should be pretty solid.

Unsworth has hell of a task to rebuild the shape of the team and the confidence of the players but he does have some decent players to use, if used correctly. IMO he should be focusing on making that midfield a solid as possible and building on that.

November 01, 2017, 04:25:10 PM
Reply #58

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Gana and in particular Schneiderlin were bossing it 2nd half of last season. Schneiderlin's performances in particular have fallen  off a cliff but I don't think Barry would be the silver bullet he is currently being made out to be. He probably would have suffered from the awful system the previous manager was trying to employ. It's a weird situation because if you look at all the midfielders on our books we should be pretty solid.

Unsworth has hell of a task to rebuild the shape of the team and the confidence of the players but he does have some decent players to use, if used correctly. IMO he should be focusing on making that midfield a solid as possible and building on that.

One of the few things giving me confidence is that I rate MS and Gana both. Maybe both are misused at the moment but I think they can both be great in the right system.

November 01, 2017, 04:43:28 PM
Reply #59

Toddacelli

The year Joe Royale saved us he took over in the 14th game and we were not safe until the penultimate game of the season. We need to address our current situation very soon.

Wid cheese?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates