October 20, 2017, 10:56:31 PM

Author Topic: [News]Usmanov focused on Arsenal, not Everton  (Read 8454 times)

January 26, 2017, 12:34:39 PM
Reply #30

arteta4spain

And what have you started now ?
Haha I know! It's probably nothing and just that Moshiris company sponsor us. Simply that. The Premier League forbids any club pumping money through sponsorship deals.

deCoubertin

January 26, 2017, 03:43:40 PM
Reply #31

Toddacelli

Yeah, the David Conn article revealed nothing new and said nothing interesting that wasn't already known. Bit of a disappointment for quite a reputable journo:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/25/everton-farhad-moshiri-alisher-usmanov-new-money-ownership

I enjoyed it.

There might have been a portion of it that was already known but it's always interesting to read someone's take on it - especially if coherent and well-written.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 26, 2017, 04:50:46 PM
Reply #32

cyberduck

The new TV deals are worth at least £80M a year and I think Everton said they expected £125M so this deal is small change as long as the TV deals are there.

The main intent behind the Financial Fair Play rules, from what I can see, is to protect a club becoming indebted beyond it's ability to pay back. I'd hate to see us get into a position where we are over-reliant on these guys and then they walk away because they gain control at Arsenal. 

January 26, 2017, 08:51:56 PM
Reply #33

Bally

Administrator
Ha, it's all good, Brownie sir.

Just a bit of ranter (Bally will hate that one 😁)
What in the screaming blue fuck have you done....

Get out

FFS

It's the roll I way

January 26, 2017, 09:35:42 PM
Reply #34

Toddacelli

Ha, it's all good, Brownie sir.

Just a bit of ranter (Bally will hate that one 😁)

Haha! Got caught with your Bants down!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 26, 2017, 10:44:04 PM
Reply #35

sam of the south

What in the screaming blue fuck have you done....

Get out

FFS

Sorry, Bally.

I did it with my eyes wide open, knowing full well it would get your attention.

I just crave your attention  :blush:

:hug:
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM
Reply #36

Bluedylan

I think it's worth remembering not all articles and pieces of info are aimed at us individually, but that doesn't devalue them in a wider sense. The vast majority of the readership will not be Everton fans, or as knowledgeable about the subject as yourself.

If people like David Conn didn't write articles like this, I'm not convinced there are many others who would comment on the subject with as much honesty, integrity or knowledge. And often when I want to look back on things regarding the club, it will be articles like this that have the most accurate and valuable info. While we recall the elements in the present, details often become malleable or forgotten.

He knows the different mechanics, so he doesn't jump to falsehoods, that should be appreciated, if not always riveting.

Hmm, I think you're grossly exaggerating the quality of the article. You refer to 'honesty, integrity and knowledge', I just see a basic regurgitation of some facts that are already in the public domain, and that have already been written about plenty.

I agree with @sam of the south that it reads like someone trying to stir up a story, when they have very little to go on. Flimsy to say the least.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

January 27, 2017, 12:04:55 AM
Reply #37

Bluedylan

I enjoyed it.

There might have been a portion of it that was already known but it's always interesting to read someone's take on it - especially if coherent and well-written.

Fair enough.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

January 27, 2017, 09:05:52 PM
Reply #38

Ridge

Hmm, I think you're grossly exaggerating the quality of the article. You refer to 'honesty, integrity and knowledge', I just see a basic regurgitation of some facts that are already in the public domain, and that have already been written about plenty.

I agree with @sam of the south that it reads like someone trying to stir up a story, when they have very little to go on. Flimsy to say the least.

Usmanov's company, which is presumably named after first 3 letters of name, has just paid a huge amount to sponsor our training ground and our bum crevices, it creates a reasonable whiff of suspicion, curiosity at least. He's either incredibly happy to assist Moshiri in his ambitions, to the point that if he isn't on board, he might as well be, or he is. I think to suggest otherwise is blinkered or defensive on behalf of potentially shady deals, nothing to see here, I don't want to know. The vast majority of Moshiri's wealth by all accounts, is near a £1b worth of shares in USM, which he can't sell without Usmanov's say so.

I think there is probably some confirmation bias from both sides. I'm not saying it's one of his best articles, I'm saying I regard the journalist in high regard and some will find it interesting. He's knowledgeable and accurate on details, but I think it's worth valuing, even more so in current climate. Several years back I remember fans lambasting journalists for not searching under every stone in opposition to Kenwright, our deals and finances, Philip Green, Vibrac etc. Conn was one of only a few journalists in national papers who showed interest or demonstrated knowledge of what he was commenting on, not that many others didn't try.

There is no indication that Usmanov would look to disrupt things or dictate, but rather he could see or have been offered investment opportunities, but also reasons to not seem involved. They have been hand in glove when it comes to investments. We had Philip Green on the board via an absent Robert Earl, Moshiri isn't just providing far more investment, now we have direction, ambition and a plan. He resonates well with ambitious Evertonian better than Bill, respects the traditions of the club, while investing hundreds of millions. It's a huge improvement, we are recruiting elite staff to new roles. Moshiri has been hands on at the right times, in all the right areas so far  :batty:

The long and short of it is, that I have nothing but praise for Moshiri, but I have no doubt Usmanov would have been consulted, if he knows Moshiri would invest significantly, it's a decent opportunity to be offered. Usmanov wants to keep his Arsenal shares, but isn't going to help Kroenke by investing or be allowed to be involved. He got the majority of his shares in Arsenal in 2007 when club was valued around £300m, it's now valued at over £1.5b. Moshiri has acquired 49.9% of Everton with options to increase shareholding supposedly to 75%, that values the club around £175m. Moshiri has worked for Deloitte's, but you didn't need to be an expert to realise we probably had more value than that on the pitch. £50m for Stones, more for Lukaku if wanted etc.

These are good reads on relationship between Moshiri and Usmanov. I think once you understand the relationship better, there is less anxiety and fear about it. Even if Moshiri is a front man for Usmanov, he's a very good one and we'll benefit hugely from it, delegation on a giant scale. Usmanov isn't an owner at Arsenal and technically Moshiri isn't an outright owner either until he breaks 50%. My interpretation is that depends on a new stadium being built, and maybe that is where Usmanov's interest comes from, if nowhere else. See if knows someone who's got some steel for sale or could help underwrite such a project.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-russia-summit-usmanov-idUSBRE88R0WK20120928

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-02-06/russian-billionaire-usmanov-links-fortune-to-partnership

http://iran-times.com/with-his-russian-buddy-iranian-now-a-billionaire/

Quote from: Links above
“With time, Moshiri actually became my financial mentor,” Usmanov said. “I appreciate his honesty and his encyclopedic knowledge of finance and investments, although some of my most successful investments I did contrary to his opinion.”

“Moshiri also didn’t believe in the prospects for investments in Facebook and Groupon,” said Usmanov in an April 2012 phone interview with Bloomberg News. His hesitation did not prevent Usmanov from allowing him the chance to participate, which has given Moshiri holdings through DST in publicly-traded Facebook Inc., Zynga Inc. and Groupon Inc., as well as other investments in a number of closely-held technology companies, including Twitter Inc. USM did not disclose how much Moshiri and Skoch may have paid to make those investments, or their exact stakes.

Quote from: Bloomberg
In 1989, Farhad Moshiri was an émigré in London pulling a paycheck at Deloitte & Touche when he met Alisher Usmanov. Now, after a two-decade alliance with Russia’s current richest man, the Iranian-born accountant is a billionaire himself.

Usmanov, 58, rewarded Moshiri, 56, for years of service as an adviser and confidant in 2008, granting him a 10 percent stake in Gallagher Holding Ltd, through which Usmanov controls Metalloinvest.

“He was consulting me for decades on different deals and exercised his option, fairly getting the stake,” Usmanov said in a telephone interview from Moscow. Usmanov and Moshiri both declined to elaborate on the terms of the option.

Metalloinvest accounts for the bulk of Usmanov’s fortune, which has swelled to more than $20 billion through timely bets on tech companies including Facebook Inc. (FB), according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, a daily ranking of the world’s richest people. Metalloinvest is worth at least $16 billion, valuing Moshiri’s share at a minimum of $800 million. The company values itself at as much as $20 billion, Chief Executive Officer Eduard Potapov said in February.

And finally, this explains the situation at the club quite thoroughly and with plenty of detail. Warning: It also stirs the pot for the easily offended.  :whistle:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-majority-investor-farhad-moshiri-11415873
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:47:56 PM by Ridge »

January 27, 2017, 09:14:57 PM
Reply #39

Lxxx

Very true, It's not like Moshiri is a self made billionaire. He's a billionaire by way of Usmanov's generosity, as a thank you for being his right hand man for decades. Moshiri couldn't put his hand on a billion pounds in liquid assets if he wanted, it's all tied up in Usmanov's dealings. Therefore to think Moshiri is tied into Everton completely free of Usmanov is stretching the truth at best and the training ground sponsorship muddies the waters even more.

January 27, 2017, 10:55:58 PM
Reply #40

cyberduck

Usmanov isn't an owner at Arsenal and technically Moshiri isn't an outright owner either until he breaks 50%. My interpretation is that depends on a new stadium being built, and maybe that is where Usmanov's interest comes from, if nowhere else.

Never quite understood why Moshiri limited himself to 49.9% of the shares. There are 35,000 shares and that means he's got 17465 shares already. He could easily pick up the 36 he needs to become majority owner and control all decision making. There are over 10,000 shares owned by other individuals. Many of them holding just 1 or 2 shares.

Somebody mentioned this might be something to do with FFP and this occurred to me when I was reading the FFP wikipedia page but I now can't recall what it was that I'd spotted.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:05:14 PM by cyberduck »

January 27, 2017, 11:25:39 PM
Reply #41

cyberduck

Just seen something odd. Anybody know anything about this?

"When a person or group acquires interests in shares carrying 30% or more of the voting rights of a company, they must make a cash offer to all other shareholders at the highest price paid in the 12 months before the offer was announced"

January 27, 2017, 11:41:45 PM
Reply #42

Ridge

It will all be to do with benefits of not triggering something, or hitting a threshold required to disclose all your details, links etc.

As it says in one of the articles above, Usmanov's style is not to take majority ownership. Moshiri would know the benefits better than any of us could guess, reduced liability, obligations or scrutiny from authorities. Outside of european football and UEFA regs we don't need to demonstrate certain things, if you were so inclined, it could be interpreted as opportunity.

January 29, 2017, 02:23:56 PM
Reply #43

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We're not a public company so there are no thresholds.

If every single other shareholder ganged up on him they still wouldn't have enough to kick him out.
That's because of a number of "lost shares". Maybe lost in the war/forgotten about over the years, but as it stands, we can't account for 100% of shareholders and as such there cannot be a vote with 100% turnout.

For all reasonable purposes, Moshiri is both the majority shareholder and has the controlling stake in the club.

January 30, 2017, 02:45:32 AM
Reply #44

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers: