October 18, 2018, 03:09:49 PM

Author Topic: Aaron Lennon  (Read 10169 times)

May 05, 2017, 05:32:57 PM
Reply #90

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
That bit is easy to answer: would you like to live in a country where the police can lock you up because someone claims you're suicidal?

Under section 136 they can only act if they are convinced you are a danger to yourself or others. Which is what they've done. (And well done to them too, I can't imagine it's one of the easier assignments for coppers.)
Ironically that might be easier than you think as there is a clear and immediate danger and a clear immediate solution that removes the person to a place of safety, almost always a hospital where treatment is available..
The difficulty is when the situation is not as clear as that and there appears no satisfactory or effective solution quickly available. That's the difficult one!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

May 05, 2017, 06:10:30 PM
Reply #91

blue1948

You ever had mental health issues? For one, you tend to keep how you really feel, totally secret. You dont go shouting about that you may feel suicidal or want to harm yourself. Sure, the people closest to you may know you are depressed, but i doubt they know the intensity of it.
Liz ,I have nothing bad to say about Aaron ,I just said that the club was aware weeks ago and yet it got to the point he was in -needing help at the side of a main road .
Surely some alarm bells were ringing weeks ago .I accept the situation if you have problems but once again surely if people close to you and the club know then he shouldn't be "endangering himself" .At least not to the point where the club phone  the police

May 05, 2017, 06:15:56 PM
Reply #92

blue1948

I originally stated my thoughts dependent on further info and now I have been forced to defend my statement .I have nothing but sadness for the way Aaron is and my only criticism is for those around him given that it was known there WAS a problem .I wish him all the best in his recovery and I certainly not judging him or any other person with mental health issues .
Brownie will love this "there but for the grace of god go I "

May 05, 2017, 06:20:32 PM
Reply #93

Toddacelli

I was married to someone for years who suffered from depression most days and did everything I could to help, support and understand her and yet I still have no idea to this day what depression is like for the person going through it. It is just completely alien to me, even now.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 05, 2017, 06:21:07 PM
Reply #94

Toddacelli

P.S. best wishes to Aaron to get the help he needs. I'm sure he will.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 05, 2017, 06:34:04 PM
Reply #95

Major Clanger

Ironically that might be easier than you think as there is a clear and immediate danger and a clear immediate solution that removes the person to a place of safety, almost always a hospital where treatment is available..
The difficulty is when the situation is not as clear as that and there appears no satisfactory or effective solution quickly available. That's the difficult one!

I meant the bit of actually being there and seeing the guy wondering around, and how do you approach him, what if he does something unexpected, and so on.

Again, I don't really know how these things work, I'm just imagining it's a tricky and stressful situation. It might not be.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

May 05, 2017, 06:35:50 PM
Reply #96

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

May 05, 2017, 07:09:26 PM
Reply #97

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Liz ,I have nothing bad to say about Aaron ,I just said that the club was aware weeks ago and yet it got to the point he was in -needing help at the side of a main road .
Surely some alarm bells were ringing weeks ago .I accept the situation if you have problems but once again surely if people close to you and the club know then he shouldn't be "endangering himself" .At least not to the point where the club phone  the police
This is the dilemma when someone's condition worsens. At what point can you intervene against the person's wishes?
After 30+ years of the MH Act that forms the basis of today's legal way of dealing with mental health there are a lot of precedents to guide professionals actions but it still rests on the professionals' judgement.
The S136 he was detained under is merely an emergency section that gives 72hrs (it may have changed since I retired but that doesn't matter) to get an assessment done and decide whether an application to detain him in hospital is pursued or not - he may stay on a voluntary basis.
If it interests anyone I'll describe the process both legally and how one comes to a judgement that someone needs to be detained. It would be a long post so I won't waste the time unless it is of interest.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

May 05, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Reply #98

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

Oh i know you dont have anything bad to say about him, im just saying that people often dont know the extent of it. Sorry to be so blunt but all my family and friends were massively shocked when i took an overdose. No one knew the extent of my mental illness, and so no one could have prevented it. I kept my feelings a secret. And they felt very bad but there was nothing they could have done.

On the other hand,two of my friends have taken their own life, and even though ive been in that situation myself, i never saw it coming...so someone with no personal experience doesnt have a chance.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

May 05, 2017, 08:37:48 PM
Reply #99

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I watched the Koeman interview on the club channel today ,other than once again being absolutely pissed off with the first guy ,who tries "ad infinitum" to trip the manager up ,I was shocked that despite Koeman saying they have people in place to face this ,it has happened .I have not heard many details but it seems that everyone around him has a question to answer. No more until I know more but I am not impressed

So what would that question be then ?

May 05, 2017, 09:11:33 PM
Reply #100

formerKHL

Unfortunately..MH is the classic catch 22...how do you know you're mentally ill.....if you're mentally ill.

The people who suffer this don't mindfully try to "hide" their symptoms....many just don't know and accept they're "ill"....and believe they're acting "normally"...

close family/friends..dont recognise the symptoms.....because they also do not know....until it gets so severe they start to recognise changes in attitude, behaviours etc that go against the norm...

May 05, 2017, 09:15:09 PM
Reply #101

formerKHL

This is the dilemma when someone's condition worsens. At what point can you intervene against the person's wishes?
After 30+ years of the MH Act that forms the basis of today's legal way of dealing with mental health there are a lot of precedents to guide professionals actions but it still rests on the professionals' judgement.
The S136 he was detained under is merely an emergency section that gives 72hrs (it may have changed since I retired but that doesn't matter) to get an assessment done and decide whether an application to detain him in hospital is pursued or not - he may stay on a voluntary basis.
If it interests anyone I'll describe the process both legally and how one comes to a judgement that someone needs to be detained. It would be a long post so I won't waste the time unless it is of interest.

No you are correct SB....it's a maximum of 72 hours in a place of safety....they can be moved to another place of safety within the 72 hours.....but the timescale is also determined by the opinion of the medical staff, which can be less than the 72 hours...

May 05, 2017, 09:17:24 PM
Reply #102

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tottenham-fans-urged-show-support-12990466

A minutes applause? Really?

They may mean well but I don't think it's appropriate, that's normally for someone who has died not someone who is temporarily unwell. Don't understand either why Pochetino is contacting his agent to see what Spurs can do, leave that to the medical staff, his family and Everton FC.

May 05, 2017, 09:22:34 PM
Reply #103

formerKHL

They may mean well but I don't think it's appropriate, that's normally for someone who has died not someone who is temporarily unwell. Don't understand either why Pochetino is contacting his agent to see what Spurs can do, leave that to the medical staff, his family and Everton FC.

he's obviously still liked and respected at the club....

May 05, 2017, 10:05:57 PM
Reply #104

Major Clanger

There's nothing wrong with contacting his agent, that's what they're there for. He's just trying to help.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel