December 13, 2017, 09:10:41 PM

Author Topic: Summer Spending  (Read 112385 times)

May 15, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Reply #60

Cozzie

He's just a very committed fan with a lot of time on his hands and has crafted a social media persona to massage an ego. He's no more ITK than me or you who read the gossip columns but it's a nice article though.

Yep, I was being sarcy with the ITK stuff, he knows fuck all, thoroughly enjoyed him having egg on his face after last summers exploits.

deCoubertin

May 15, 2017, 04:48:58 PM
Reply #61

Bigstickytoffee

Zabaleta on a free for 2 years is a no brainer in Colemans absence, -surely?

May 15, 2017, 04:51:23 PM
Reply #62

Lxxx

Yep, I was being sarcy with the ITK stuff, he knows fuck all, thoroughly enjoyed him having egg on his face after last summers exploits.

He still likes to think he's got the inside track though, even after having his arse handed to him last year. He needs to get a life.

May 15, 2017, 06:37:46 PM
Reply #63

cantoffee

Zabaleta on a free for 2 years is a no brainer in Colemans absence, -surely?
Would love him here but not sure he'd leave City to play second fiddle to someone else.

I think he can find a good club that will take him and have him start quite a bit.

May 15, 2017, 06:42:18 PM
Reply #64

Hawkandro

Would rather give Kenny the first half of next season until Coleman is fit, and have them fight it out for the position.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

May 15, 2017, 06:53:59 PM
Reply #65

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Zabaleta ticks all the boxes, doesnt he.

Trouble is, any RB that comes in will have Coleman at the back of their mind

May 15, 2017, 06:56:37 PM
Reply #66

Lxxx

Most right backs can't hold a candle to Coleman when he's fit and firing so they know they'd be coming in to step aside eventually.
It's a shame Holgate hasn't worked out after his impressive first game in that position. Kenny will have to seriously impress in the U-20 tournament and in pre season to get the nod though.

May 15, 2017, 07:40:33 PM
Reply #67

TheTone

Zabaleta is well shite now, watched him a few times and his legs have gone, says it all when navas and fernandinho were played there at times this season, a big fat no from me

May 15, 2017, 07:45:05 PM
Reply #68

Robioto

Zabaleta is well shite now, watched him a few times and his legs have gone, says it all when navas and fernandinho were played there at times this season, a big fat no from me

Zabaleta is certainly in the 'used to be a very good right back category' now, along with Ivanovic who we were linked with in January.

May 15, 2017, 08:17:13 PM
Reply #69

kramer0

Old fullbacks are rarely a good idea, especially given the demands of the modern game. I wouldn't touch Zabaleta now, however good he was in his prime.

Right back is an interesting spot for us this summer because we need better than Holgate/Kenny but without making a significant investment. I have this horrible, unshakable feeling that we're going to add Cuco Martina, which would be a low-key disaster. He'd be cheap, but Martina is hardly better than the aforementioned players and he's as good as he's going to get. Kenny and Holgate, on the other hand, will improve with game time. It's probably just paranoid speculation on my part but I see this guy linked with us once a month and it drives me crazy. We should be doing better than signing dross from the manager's previous club.

Hopefully Walsh finds someone better because we'll need the extra quality there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:21:45 PM by kramer0 »

May 15, 2017, 08:29:42 PM
Reply #70

Lxxx

The days of scrimping on full backs so you can spend money on higher priority areas, or thinking you can get away with one weak link hoping you can ride it out are long gone. As evidenced by watching how Spurs play or seeing how we look without Coleman.

I wouldn't have any problem in us signing a good up and coming full back to hit the ground running and maybe even challenge Coleman for his place in the team.
If we get off to a poor start in the league, bomb the Europa league qualifier or go out of the league cup early, all while Coleman is out and we're muddling through with a combination of Kenny/Holgate/Davies, then it's going to look a silly decision. As unless we buy a quality player who can play wide right we're going to look very one sided or worse still too narrow and therefore easy to play against.

May 15, 2017, 09:00:49 PM
Reply #71

everton1952

Someone earlier wondered about taking someone from Hull, presumably a defender?  What a great idea to take a player from the worst defence in the premiership. Why oh why do we have to dredge up the crap from relegated teams? Surely our sights are set higher? I want nobody from Hull or Sunderland  or Middlesborough.

May 15, 2017, 09:07:04 PM
Reply #72

Macca77

West Ham want Zabaleta, and will offer him ridiculous money, he's still decent but there are better younger options out there

May 15, 2017, 09:30:22 PM
Reply #73

Rhys

I agree. Pep has done everything he can to not play him there and moved into midfield over playing him at full back. He has had the odd good game but most of the time looked on the slide. Given coleman should be back and fit early 2018 it wouldnt be the end of the world however the wages he would command would be massive so not worth it for me would rather put those wages to other areas.

May 15, 2017, 09:31:56 PM
Reply #74

Ridge

Someone earlier wondered about taking someone from Hull, presumably a defender?  What a great idea to take a player from the worst defence in the premiership. Why oh why do we have to dredge up the crap from relegated teams? Surely our sights are set higher? I want nobody from Hull or Sunderland  or Middlesborough.

Gana worked out alright