October 20, 2017, 10:30:22 AM

Author Topic: End of season ratings  (Read 2839 times)

May 13, 2017, 08:24:33 PM
Reply #15

KoemansNumberTens

yeah you keep going on and on about the defence record. Still, yes he has been poor. Constantly passing back, always all over the opposition and gives away fouls. I duno, just cant warm to him.

If I said lukaku was a 6 and that people keep going on about his goalscoring record? I'd be a lunatic right?

He's been no worse than any other defender in a very good defence.

deCoubertin

May 13, 2017, 08:30:27 PM
Reply #16

KoemansNumberTens

Think all the defenders have been much of a much. 6-6.5 across the board. I'm probably most disappointed with Baines. Seems he's lost a lot of his quality in terms of set pieces and final balls

May 13, 2017, 08:32:09 PM
Reply #17

Evertonian in NC

I would say more that our CBs had really inconsistent seasons.  Jags, Funes Mori, Williams, and Holgate (if you want to grade him with the CBs, since you've convinced me he is one, just playing out of position at RB) all played really well in spurts, solidly for long stretches of play, and all had at least a 3-week period when they were dire.

Grading on a full season is difficult for me, but it seems that Schneiderlin has to merit an 8 even with his limited appearances.  Rom and Gana our leading lights at 9, even if they faded (tired?) down the stretch. 

I know we gush about Tom Davies all the time here, but it's still never enough.  If he was all we had, he'd still be enough to keep me interested in football.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 13, 2017, 08:52:28 PM
Reply #18

Macca77

Joel 6
Steklenberg 5
Coleman 7
Holgate 6
Jagielka 6
Williams 6
Funes Mori 5
Baines 6
Schneiderlin 7
Gueye 8
Barry 6
McCarthy 5
Davies 7
Barkley 7
Mirallas 6
Valencia 6
Bolasie 5
Lennon 5
Kone 4
Lukaku 8
Calvert-Lewin 6
Lookman 6
Pennington 5

May 13, 2017, 08:59:08 PM
Reply #19

van der Meyde

Stekelenburg 5
Robles 7

Pretty much all of the defence somewhere between a 6 and a 7

Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas 6
Barkley, Gueye 7
Schneiderlin, Davies 8

Calvert-Lewin a high 6
Bolasie, Valencia 7
Lukaku 9

May 13, 2017, 09:52:03 PM
Reply #20

cantoffee

Can't see how Lookman had a better season than Holgate.

Showed flashes but isn't ready for this level quite yet. Holgate looks ready just needs a bit more strength and he'll be a good backup CB.

Overall I tend to agree but Lukaku would be a 9 for me. Our best player for sure.

May 13, 2017, 09:52:34 PM
Reply #21

Bob Sacamano

Let me nip this in the bud. Overall (good and bad games pulled into a season long avg.) Jags 7, Williams 6 and Mori 5.

Jags would have been an 8 apart from a couple of shockers. Williams would have been a 7 if it wasn't for a couple of things that I thought an experienced defender wouldn't do (he's always down for a tear up though - kinda like it) and Mori could have been 4 but I feel sorry for him so bumped it up. Not his fault he was bought by some lunatic with the dodgiest scouting system ever.

May 14, 2017, 01:47:36 AM
Reply #22

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A 4 for Williams?

Come on man. You're suggesting he's been a disaster with that rating.

Whilst he hasn't been brilliant by any stretch, he's been generally reliable and a consistent part of a solid defence.

A 6 easily.

May 14, 2017, 02:10:48 AM
Reply #23

Gash

Global Moderator
Yeah, don't really get the Williams hate. He's been solid if unspectacular, he had Jags going through a drop in form, the loss of Coleman and Funes Mori to cover for all in his first season here. He's probably been the most consistent out of all our defensive positions including keepers.

He's old school, clear the lines, boot it into row Z if need be and there's nothing wrong with that at times. He deserves at least a 6 just for his celebration against Arsenal. :)

May 14, 2017, 02:25:58 AM
Reply #24

Ross

Fumes Mori has been our most consistent centre back. Jags is still by far the best we've got though and Williams has had a par season given his ability but we should never have bought him.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 14, 2017, 02:39:33 AM
Reply #25

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Gana, Lukaku, Davies, Schneiderlin are your main success stories this season 8s for those guys

Rom - love the goals,hate the fact that you hate our guts and can't wait to leave

Tom - superb breakthrough season. For me he's a more exciting talent than anyone I've seen come through our ranks and he's cool and sound as fuck

Gana - more tackles than kante, more rhymes than Kanye, more Real hair than Conte, better defensively than Dante

Schneiderlin - oozes class

Joel has actually been good and gets too much hate considering his clean sheet percentage. He has definitely improved 7

Bolasie was on course for a good season. Coleman too but both cut short by injury 7

Holgate has come in and done really well and often not in his natural position 6

Jags used sparingly but has been good since he came into the side 6

Williams - well he divides opinion. He was brought in as a short/mid term option to get a shambolic and unorganised defence that liked to arse around with the ball at the back into a more no nonsense defensive unit. There's no finesse to his game and he doesn't pretend that there is. He's done a good job really despite being a terrible passer of the ball. He's essentially just a big thug but he's all heart and gets the job done most of the time 6, maybe a 7

Baines - solid enough but not as dynamic as he used to be 6

Mori and Stek both not great and both missed fair chunks through injury. And now Mori has got a top knot 5 same for McCarthy 5

Barkley at times really good, others the same player we know he is ultimately going to always be, frustrating and always picking the wrong option 7

DCL and Lookman - don't know their game yet and haven't had enough gametime 5

Valencia - for the job he's here to do, Sub striker,change games- he's largely done the job despite slow start 7

Mirallas - couldn't have been more Mirallasy 6
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

May 14, 2017, 12:46:47 PM
Reply #26

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
4s are probably harsh I just expected a lot from him I suppose

May 14, 2017, 02:09:19 PM
Reply #27

Bob Sacamano

TBH I expected him to glide through and be a solid 8. But that was pretty much based on his performances at the Euros. But I think he's a useful CB to have and I'd take him over Mori any day of the week.

May 14, 2017, 02:30:00 PM
Reply #28

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber

He's not been as good as he could be. But out of all of the CBs he is the one who RK has trusted to be the more or less ever present. He's not a Stones, he's no nonsense and has helped us import everything at the back. If you look at his average match ratings from an official site he'll probably average between a 6 and a 7. A 4 is two below average - Niasse territory that
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 14, 2017, 02:44:14 PM
Reply #29

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
This thread reminded me that Mori still plays for us

*shudders*