November 21, 2017, 07:52:01 PM

Author Topic: Is the squad better than last season?  (Read 8120 times)

July 27, 2017, 05:20:26 PM
Reply #15

Lazarou

Bit premature for this thread.

deCoubertin

July 27, 2017, 05:51:20 PM
Reply #16

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The squad is already better.

The team is not better or worse either way.
I still expect to beat the teams i would expect to beat last year and get beat by the same teams i would expect to get beat by last year.

But the squad, as an entity designed to deal with 4 competitions is an order of magnitude better.
Have a word with yourself.

July 27, 2017, 05:54:24 PM
Reply #17

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

July 27, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
Reply #18

blob

it's different...

other than that, only time will tell.

July 27, 2017, 06:17:53 PM
Reply #19

gwells

I'm not being miserable I'm being a realist
No you are being miserable. If you don't think our new signings are an improvement then nothing will please you. I understand your concern about Lukaku goals but we didn't have any from midfield last season with Klassens aRooney and some of the younger guys a year older and wiser and Sandro we will more than compensate for Lukaku. Also Foeman still want Syggy and a striker so why comment until the window has closed?

July 27, 2017, 06:21:26 PM
Reply #20

Shogun

Administrator
Goals last season:

Lukaku 25
Mirallas 4
Barkley 5

Total: 34

Their current starting XI replacements goals last season:

Rooney 5
Sandro 14
Klaasen 14

Total: 33

And that's with Sigurdsson and another striker to come.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:24:14 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

July 27, 2017, 06:22:10 PM
Reply #21

Toddacelli

The squad is already better.

The team is not better or worse either way.
I still expect to beat the teams i would expect to beat last year and get beat by the same teams i would expect to get beat by last year.

But the squad, as an entity designed to deal with 4 competitions is an order of magnitude better.
Have a word with yourself.

This.

I would go a step further though.

I think the fact that we will be a goal threat from more than one source makes us potentially more potent. Before it was 'Stop Lukaku = Stop Everton' but now I think we'll have more goalscoring options and give the opposition more to worry about - which could also affect how the teams above us approach the game, making them tighter and possibly easier to overturn.

And even if I'm wrong about that. The squad is still definitely better.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 27, 2017, 06:31:50 PM
Reply #22

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Simply simply lovely

July 27, 2017, 07:46:55 PM
Reply #23

Realist

Goals last season:

Lukaku 25
Mirallas 4
Barkley 5

Rooney 5
Sandro 14
Klaasen 14

2 of them didn't play in the prem

July 27, 2017, 07:51:54 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

So you're telling us you don't actually know if it is better or worse and have no way of formulating any kind of opinion then yeah. Cause that would be the 'realist' approach

July 27, 2017, 07:54:04 PM
Reply #25

Robioto

Barely at the moment minus Lukaku and Barkley.

But I said at the beginning of the window that I believe we will end the window stronger even with lots of ups and downs and I still firmly believe that. Still 5 weeks left... Thats when you should be creating this thread.

July 27, 2017, 08:40:31 PM
Reply #26

phillyt

Goals last season:

Lukaku 25
Mirallas 4
Barkley 5

Rooney 5
Sandro 14
Klaasen 14

Also taking into account improvements the other end. Pickford is a better keeper than stek and Robles. Keane is a better defender than all our CB options.
I think the difference overall is marginal. But it's them margins that cost us 10+points (Liverpool at home, Swansea draw at home, Burnley away there were others I can't think of right now.) if we can swing those marginal defeats/draws into marginal victories we will be ecstatic.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

July 27, 2017, 08:44:04 PM
Reply #27

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

Despite scoring so many, Lukaku's goals didn't contribute as many points as you might think. Without everything pivoting around him, others might score more 'useful' goals instead of just adding to their own stats. Three against Sunderland is hardly impressive, two against Watford that got us nothing. Plus the new players are far more likely to keep going once Spring arrives..

July 27, 2017, 09:23:09 PM
Reply #28

Realist

So you're telling us you don't actually know if it is better or worse and have no way of formulating any kind of opinion then yeah. Cause that would be the 'realist' approach

That's correct Mick hence why the thread is titled "Is the squad better than last year"

July 27, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Once we get Coleman and Bolasie back to go along with another 2-3 signings it's not even comparable. Last season the team picked itself most of the year, certainly since Bolasie got injured. Now we're genuinely not going to know from one week to the next what the line-up is and that can only be a positive.