September 21, 2017, 06:47:21 AM

Author Topic: The future of watching live games - streamed on Facebook?  (Read 1749 times)

August 09, 2017, 03:17:37 PM
Read 1749 times

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Interesting article: Everton live stream reachers 1.5million
http://www.businesscloud.co.uk/news/everton-facebook-live-stream-reaches-15m

A few people have touched on it before, but surely we are very close now to having home and away games streamed live for coin. I'm all for having ALL games available to people, but only at the right price, i.e. pennies... not a fiver plus, or perhaps like a Sky Subscription, where you get a proper, stable, HD channel, for all Everton games, home and away for say a tenner a month or something. Even on facebook/linkable to your main TV - assuming the game would of course have to be better quality than the Sevilla stream, which was a bit choppy, I'd pay for that and other content.

My issue here is, that although we could have an Everton TV, like the MUFCTV, LiverpoolTV, etc that we see on our Sky Sports, with say a tenner monthly sub, having the likes of Facebook streaming now coming alive, and obviously working in huge numbers, would we AGAIN get embroiled in a bidding war, with Facebook going head to head with BT, Sky, even the clubs themselves to battle rights and prices up to a stupid amount.

I guess, the more places that do good quality streams, mean we are more likely to be able to find dodgy streams, but I just wish that these companies could sit down with the fans (their customers) and come up with something that we can all be happy with, that benefits us all. But can you see that happening?

Most people here will obviously get to the games, a lot to the away games, but if you could pay for a perfect quality TV "live" game, how much do you think a fair price would be per game and per month?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:19:12 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

deCoubertin

August 09, 2017, 03:23:17 PM
Reply #1

Waltzer

Surely Sky/BT would have a lot of this nailed down to prevent? Plus the Premier league would surely be opposed as teams would have their own pricing structures and we'd end up with the bigger supported teams pulling further away as they'd have much bigger subscription rates?

August 09, 2017, 03:26:29 PM
Reply #2

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

If the likes of Facebook come in and offer a LOT more than the TV people, directly to the teams themselves, then the FA and the money men in the rich media corporations will have coronarys ;) money talks, and where the is lots of money, anything could happen.

August 09, 2017, 03:44:19 PM
Reply #3

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
For games televised on Sky if I can't get to a game I pay 6.99 for the match, if there are other events/games on Sky the same week I pay 10.99 for a weekly pass, this only applies to SKY games though.

August 09, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
Reply #4

Bob Sacamano

Can see Netflix/Prime getting involved in live sports streaming (not necessarily PL football) and it having a knock on effect.

Not sure teams could sell individual rights to their games though. All clubs are bound to some sort of PL agreement I'd have thought. I think the stage of clubs selling their own broadcasting rights is if/when a Euro Super League breaks away.

Then pretty much everyone is fucked, and imo should kinda be planning for that shit right now.

August 09, 2017, 03:49:52 PM
Reply #5

Buck76

Think it's going to be difficult to get decent streams next season as they've cracked down on Kodi etc... you can't beat a live sat game & I don't think people would mind paying the price of a pint for a game on FB live, the additional revenue stream will be mainly for the unfancied teams that don't get constantly played on Sky & BT every week anyway and it would Help reduce illegal streaming.. the main problem would be the fear of the effect on attendances.

August 09, 2017, 04:27:34 PM
Reply #6

TheTone

Currently paying sky 82 a month for all the channels but still don't have BT Sports cause I sacked it off when I saw that cunt gerrard on it

BT are charging 220 for the year if I renew

Getting screwed ain't I but I like the convenience of sky, watching those streams online is very hit and miss

My mates had a 'dodgy box' but it's cut off now, how do you lids watch the games?

August 09, 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Reply #7

Rhys

If the likes of Facebook come in and offer a LOT more than the TV people, directly to the teams themselves, then the FA and the money men in the rich media corporations will have coronarys ;) money talks, and where the is lots of money, anything could happen.

Facebook will be able to offer a lot more money to whoever they need than Sky or BT whether thats the clubs, the FA, the Premier league etc.

They've already started they have some La Liga games, think they might be getting some Ligue 1 games? I'd be shocked if Facebook, Twitter, Amazon dont go for the rights in the near future not just for football for a lot of sports and they have the backing behind them to blow the traditional providers out of the water. Facebook are trying to get Major League Baseball rights, they won some MLS games, twitter won some NFL games and now they've been won by Amazon. They make a lot of money out of advertising imagine what they could make if Facebook say had all MLB and PL rights?

The NFL games when it went out there were bids from Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and Google. A few years ago it would have been unthinkable that those companies would be the leading organisations to win the rights for these things but they are and I'd imagine that is where football rights will start to go over the coming years.

August 09, 2017, 04:55:54 PM
Reply #8

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Currently paying sky 82 a month for all the channels but still don't have BT Sports cause I sacked it off when I saw that cunt gerrard on it

Getting screwed ain't I but I like the convenience of sky, watching those streams online is very hit and miss

My mates had a 'dodgy box' but it's cut off now, how do you lids watch the games?
Sportsmania on kodi

August 09, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
Reply #9

BlueBeagle

August 09, 2017, 05:15:07 PM
Reply #10

blue1948

It all still works online ,the streams are there but some of the addons have gone .On the original topic I would be glad to be legal and pay for each match ,the reason I sacked Canal Plus is that they never showed us live and the guy I spoke to offering me the world to stay ,said he sympathized as he was a Villa supporter .If they could set it up for one team I would be in especially for us expats it should be possible.

August 09, 2017, 05:23:49 PM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Currently pay $220 a month for phone, internet and tv. No idea how that breaks down in individual packages. But that includes every premiership game broadcast live on tv or online in hd quality. Hope that never changes.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

August 09, 2017, 06:18:24 PM
Reply #12

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
It's not that simple. The premier league is a syndicate, changes require a vote. If clubs started abandoning it because fb offered more money, the league who collapse and a new one would be required. Since most teams would lose financially, only a handful would do it, and the new league would be shit without enough teams. The only real risk would be from a euro super league. PL has proven the syndicate model is the way to go, hence the ever increasing money. Add that to the (restated by Scudmore again today) commitment to a 3pm blackout, and it doesn't matter how much money fb has. They could get involved and buy the right like anyone else, but given it's now 4k through TV and the fb stream was 720p and far from perfect, the fb stream option won't compete as it was done for our friendly.

1.5m viewers? Hmm.. the display is the corner didn't pass 22k on mine. Given a lot of people tried to connect (multiple times?) and failed/found it unwatchable I suspect those numbers are highly questionable. As to "pennies a game"!!! If you can make the maths on that clear 5billion in current rights then you should contact facebook with your business proposal. Never going to happen.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:24:04 PM by MrWhite »

August 09, 2017, 06:20:32 PM
Reply #13

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Can see Netflix/Prime getting involved in live sports streaming (not necessarily PL football) and it having a knock on effect.

Not sure teams could sell individual rights to their games though. All clubs are bound to some sort of PL agreement I'd have thought. I think the stage of clubs selling their own broadcasting rights is if/when a Euro Super League breaks away.

Then pretty much everyone is fucked, and imo should kinda be planning for that shit right now.
We are. Crack the elite then we could be part of that league if/when it happens.

August 09, 2017, 06:21:32 PM
Reply #14

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Think it's going to be difficult to get decent streams next season as they've cracked down on Kodi etc... you can't beat a live sat game & I don't think people would mind paying the price of a pint for a game on FB live, the additional revenue stream will be mainly for the unfancied teams that don't get constantly played on Sky & BT every week anyway and it would Help reduce illegal streaming.. the main problem would be the fear of the effect on attendances.
Kodi is fine, and lesser teams can't sub contract the rights outside the league.