November 23, 2017, 11:03:25 PM

Author Topic: [News]Klaassen wants to captain the Blues  (Read 2058 times)

September 09, 2017, 02:25:24 PM
Reply #15

Jamokachi

I'll put my hand up here, I've found him a little disappointing thus far. Now I'm not he's a write off, far from it. But I feel he's a bit light weight at the moment, and the pace and physicality of the game in England has caught him out slightly. He'll get better as he get's used to the league, I was just hoping to see a bit more. Call me greedy.

deCoubertin

September 09, 2017, 02:45:46 PM
Reply #16

Thornton_19

He seems so intelligent on the field. When he gets up to speed I think he will be an excellent squad addition.

September 09, 2017, 04:20:47 PM
Reply #17

piggypop

Although it's obvious he has talent, it worries me he could be a little bit Tom Cleverley. The seeming lack of a change of pace could be a big hinderance to being successful in the Prem.
At the moment, he also seems to be intent on one touch passes. This could work if/when the rest of the team work out where they are moving to. When the team doesn't appear to know its own shape it just gives the ball away.
However, it's still very early and he should be given time to adjust and strengthen. I just hope the crowd gives him some leeway.

September 09, 2017, 04:49:28 PM
Reply #18

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I do definitely think he hasn't blown us away and I think that's fair.

He's had some good touches and has contributed well around the box on a few occasions, but he doesn't go looking for the ball and seems happy to let the game continue around him.

Contrast that to someone like Rooney or Barkley, who when they don't have the ball actively seek it out and try to make an angle for themselves to receive it.

I do think that's his style though so maybe I'll have to adjust my opinion of what a 10 should be like.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 09, 2017, 05:56:03 PM
Reply #19

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He's not a number 10 though. He's a midfielder.

He's set up several goals already despite not being up to speed. He'll get even better as he adapts.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

September 09, 2017, 06:02:30 PM
Reply #20

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's not a number 10 though. He's a midfielder.

He's set up several goals already despite not being up to speed. He'll get even better as he adapts.

Yeah but what I'm saying is, he's not a midfielder because he doesn't want the ball at all. He barely touches it. Minimum requirement from a midfielder is to want the ball.

He only wants it on the edge of the box where he can lay it off quickly and look to get in space. He does look very good at that so I can't wait to see him start getting on the end of a few Rooney cut backs, but if he's one of your centre kids then you're going to struggle!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 09, 2017, 06:27:51 PM
Reply #21

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah but what I'm saying is, he's not a midfielder because he doesn't want the ball at all. He barely touches it. Minimum requirement from a midfielder is to want the ball.

He only wants it on the edge of the box where he can lay it off quickly and look to get in space. He does look very good at that so I can't wait to see him start getting on the end of a few Rooney cut backs, but if he's one of your centre kids then you're going to struggle!

His Ajax highlights reel suggested to me that he does want the ball and to make things happen from midfield.

At the moment, it's as much a case of playing a different position in a new team, in a new league and generally getting up to speed.

The best is yet to come.

September 09, 2017, 06:39:20 PM
Reply #22

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly. He was a big fish in a small pond, now he's a small fish in a big pond. It will take time to adjust.

September 09, 2017, 06:51:26 PM
Reply #23

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
His Ajax highlights reel suggested to me that he does want the ball and to make things happen from midfield.

At the moment, it's as much a case of playing a different position in a new team, in a new league and generally getting up to speed.

The best is yet to come.

I disagree based on the stats and analysis of his time at Ajax and Holland that I've read, along with previews of the player from Ajax fans and what we've seen so far.

However please don't misunderstand me that I think he's a bad player. I think he has the makings of a Goodison hero and I look forward to watching him play.

I think he's intelligent with quick decisions and does look to make dangerous things happen in the final third which is something we need. He's also young and played in pretty much one system his whole life that values one and two touch football which might explain the niche he seems to have carved for himself so there's surely potential for him to change his game as he enters his peak.

Up the blues, up Davy Klaassen ole ole ole.

September 09, 2017, 07:15:30 PM
Reply #24

Macca77

No one has said he's shit.

Not

One

Person.

People have stated they expected more with sound justification.

There's a big difference.

Fair enough, shit is to strong a word, but a few seem to made their minds up and written him off already

September 09, 2017, 07:37:28 PM
Reply #25

Jamokachi

Fair enough, shit is to strong a word, but a few seem to made their minds up and written him off already

Really not seen that on here.

September 09, 2017, 07:40:52 PM
Reply #26

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
It's a really strange debate on klassen.

It's mostly been positive about him with a few people justifiably saying hes going to need time to adjust to the pace of the premier league. Something he himself has said.

Don't think we're going to see the best of him for a while, but he'll notch up a load of assists on the sly

September 09, 2017, 07:58:50 PM
Reply #27

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's a really strange debate on klassen.

It's mostly been positive about him with a few people justifiably saying hes going to need time to adjust to the pace of the premier league. Something he himself has said.

Don't think we're going to see the best of him for a while, but he'll notch up a load of assists on the sly

And don't forget a lot of assisting the assister too.

September 09, 2017, 08:35:52 PM
Reply #28

TheTone

he's going to go all Paul Scholes on us over the course of the season, mark my words lids

September 09, 2017, 11:08:09 PM
Reply #29

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
he's going to go all Paul Scholes on us over the course of the season, mark my words lids

Don't even know where to start with this like