June 23, 2018, 01:19:19 PM

Author Topic: Spurs v Everton  (Read 25537 times)

March 05, 2017, 09:38:59 PM
Reply #600

Bluedylan

For me, the implication of what you are saying is 'it could have been different but for conceding the first goal' which I have down as quite a banal observation but also a rather large hypothetical.

If (nearly) every player plays badly as they did today it can usually be put down to poor tactics.

I think you know that's not what I'm saying, and it's fairly poor form on your part to deliberately misrepresent my point.

It's quite clear that I'm not saying 'it could have been different but for conceding the first goal'. I'm saying Spurs created nothing and were looking fragmented and frustrated. I assume that was Koeman's plan (which to me was reasonable), and then that entire plan is dismantled by an individual error that Koeman couldn't have possibly legislated for.

Was the initial set-up limited in attacking terms? Yes, I can concede that to some extent, but we did have comfortably the better attacking situations before the Robles mistake, and didn't have the final pass or shot. So again, I'd say that was working alright.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 05, 2017, 09:39:49 PM
Reply #601

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know. He looks a different player to the idiot that punched everything.

He looks better than that yes.

But he's still got these mistakes in him.

The derby, Hull, today. And that's with not very much to do in lots of the games.

He's improved with the saves where he comes out and makes himself big that's for sure.

But calls along the lines of not needing a keeper are premature based on his career to date.

We need better.

March 05, 2017, 09:41:27 PM
Reply #602

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I went for a walk qhen their second went in. Was surprised we scored two.

It's clear what needs to be sorted in the summer though. Our cbs are not the long term solution.

"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

March 05, 2017, 09:41:28 PM
Reply #603

Macca77

At least we got out alive eh

March 05, 2017, 09:41:31 PM
Reply #604

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I seem to be in the minority, but I thought some of the hyperbole for Spurs in this thread was a bit much.

Not saying they're not a decent side. However, they're at home and they have a certain way of playing...but there are ways around that. We gifted them a goal and it was only when we clearly became a bit demoralized as the plan had gone out the window that we lost our way...but they didn't capitalize on that. It took another dumb mistake for them to get the next goal...and also to some degree the third.

Dunno, good side but we should've beat them at Goodison and I don't think we're that far off their level.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:43:20 PM by blueToffee »

March 05, 2017, 09:42:05 PM
Reply #605

keiko

Look at Baines during Alli's goal.

March 05, 2017, 09:43:16 PM
Reply #606

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Spurs away is one of the toughest games of the season. I would have been made up with a draw. They deserved the win

Before the game we knew that Koeman knew that we need more additions in the next transfer window and nothing has changed there. Still don't feel entirely confident in the centre backs and Joel had one of his off days.

Was pleased with Ross Barkley today I thought he was easily our best performer
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

March 05, 2017, 09:44:49 PM
Reply #607

KoemansNumberTens

He looks better than that yes.

But he's still got these mistakes in him.

The derby, Hull, today. And that's with not very much to do in lots of the games.

He's improved with the saves where he comes out and makes himself big that's for sure.

But calls along the lines of not needing a keeper are premature based on his career to date.

We need better.

Not sure the derby goal was his fault. 1 of them weirdly paced shots that just totally wrong foots a keeper. Hull? The free kick? (I can't remember the other goal)

These aren't really errors more could do better moments. He's not going to save every shot he could save. I think he's been good this season. I think people are judging him on what came before and he doesn't look like that player anymore. Time will tell but we'll struggle to sign a keeper that's better than this seasons form. He's been better than joe hart this season who people wanted us to give city 40m for

March 05, 2017, 09:44:54 PM
Reply #608

TheTone

away to spurs or arsenal and no points, standard everton really, some thought that perhaps we could push on further up the league but back to reality now, we are a fair distance off, I know we scored 2 but the gulf there was big, didn't lay a glove on them for much of the game

March 05, 2017, 09:45:00 PM
Reply #609

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Worst 3-2 ever.

Anyone else read this in comic book guys voice?

March 05, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
Reply #610

Tinga

Forever 7th.

March 05, 2017, 09:46:12 PM
Reply #611

eyesalwaysblue

our defence needs re build no doubt but today and the liverpool game tactics were naive at best
and thats at Ronalds door for me, we were coasting against Liverpool and Valencia was having a stormer
he took him off and it went to shit, today we started shit and it took him an age to change things when we
had nowt to lose......hes no tactical master yet nowhere near
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 05, 2017, 09:47:19 PM
Reply #612

Ridge

Thought Robles wasn't far off our man of the match. We didn't lose today because of the keeper, we lost be we were completely outplayed for most of the game.

Kane's goal caught everyone off guard, could have done better, but so could of team in closing him down. He was about 1cm away from getting to a powerful dipping shot in the corner.

With regard to throwing it out to Schneiderlin, it's an error of judgement, but with Spurs pressed up, it encourages you to bypass pressing players and it can be valuable in starting attacks. Schneiderlin is showing for it and Williams is nearby even if not paying attention and too busy complaining.

When you get that outplayed, it's difficult to blame any individual too much, as plan and tactics clearly didn't work.

March 05, 2017, 09:48:14 PM
Reply #613

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Thoughts on Baines?

Not the best defending or attacking at present. What has happened to his crossing?

March 05, 2017, 09:48:38 PM
Reply #614

KoemansNumberTens

Do we need new full backs too. Baines doesn't look the same player and while Coleman has fantastic energy his technique is very hit and miss. Think we definitely need a left back.