July 22, 2018, 06:03:11 PM

Author Topic: Spurs v Everton  (Read 26398 times)

March 05, 2017, 10:09:52 PM
Reply #630

sam of the south

Agreed, still I think there are some growing question marks about how soon we need a viable replacement for Baines.

He goes backwards really often these days, or plays that predictable low diagonal ball into the centre that often gets picked off.

A combo of injury taking its toll, father time tapping his fingers impatiently, and the absence of an impish genius like Pienaar to play clever one-two's and create acres of space for him, have really taken the jam out of Bainesey's doughnut.

Real shame.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

March 05, 2017, 10:12:01 PM
Reply #631

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
We need options all along the back four so those currently there have at least a bit of pressure on them to pick up their form. It's why our midfielders have (apart from today) been at a high level of late.

March 05, 2017, 10:14:05 PM
Reply #632

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Can I borrow those glasses when you have finished with them ?
I thought Gana had by far his worst game for us ,Seamus too .Barry looks so far off the pace we play now, Tom was run around and couldn't make any impression but Ross didn't deserve to lose -his best game for a long long while and finally the mystery that is Mori ,he is far and away the best outright defender we have but now I see what a waste that is when he is just a catastrophe waiting to happen and he has got to go .Am I pissed ? no I thought we would do well to get anything out of this game .I just thought the team looked like 7th playing 2nd and that is how they thought of themselves except Ross

A lot of our players didn't play well. My point was, I don't think they're anything special. They were at home, they're a strong/fit side and that can look good when we're making mistakes and inviting pressure. We fell apart for a spell after that cheap first goal but the rest of the game they weren't tearing us apart. Just my opinion but I thought they were lucky vs us at Goodison, weren't lucky at all today (be that due to stupid mistakes or players playing off their best).

That Spurs side would not have been top 4 in the a PL league with a typically stronger top 4. They still seem like a top 5/6 team to me, and I'd suggest their European form reflects that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:16:26 PM by blueToffee »

March 05, 2017, 10:19:26 PM
Reply #633

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
He goes backwards really often these days, or plays that predictable low diagonal ball into the centre that often gets picked off.

A combo of injury taking its toll, father time tapping his fingers impatiently, and the absence of an impish genius like Pienaar to play clever one-two's and create acres of space for him, have really taken the jam out of Bainesey's doughnut.

Real shame.

You can tell he's still looking for that link up play, but there is nobody there to take that mantle. I don't think he wants to cross it directly from the byline, rather work it further in with a little interplay on the edge of the box.

However, if we're not changing that dynamic then it will raise questions about his contribution.

March 05, 2017, 10:21:09 PM
Reply #634

Evertonian in NC

Get Holgate into the XI.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 05, 2017, 10:23:13 PM
Reply #635

sam of the south

You can tell he's still looking for that link up play, but there is nobody there to take that mantle. I don't think he wants to cross it directly from the byline, rather work it further in with a little interplay on the edge of the box.

However, if we're not changing that dynamic then it will raise questions about his contribution.

Indeed.

Players like Pienaar are a rarity, and Baines was blessed to have him.

It is rare for a player of his ilk to be out on the left, as they are usually in the centre to create more damage; he was obviously put out there to bring out the best in the undoubted talent that Baines possesses.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

March 05, 2017, 10:24:57 PM
Reply #636

Ridge

Agreed, still I think there are some growing question marks about how soon we need a viable replacement for Baines.

After today you could be looking for replacements everywhere. Today is the sort of day where very few are getting deserved criticism, it's more frustrations at the lacklustre nature of the teams performance.

Barkley was arguably the player who tried the most, but what did we actually do in their third of the pitch. We got 2 late goals when we put some more pressure on them and had some attacking players on the pitch. Koeman decided to go with Barry in the middle and then push Davies forward. We created so little and had so little influence at their end, players were very isolated.

I always thought Martinez had a priority for players who could play and then defend for defence. Think Koeman's defensive priority leads to us to midfield players who can defend as priority. Today we had a team with 1 forward, 1 attacking midfielder and the rest defensive minded players for most the day. When they took the lead, we had to make changes before we posed much of an attacking threat.

If you don't pose a threat, opponents will find a weakness.

March 05, 2017, 10:25:34 PM
Reply #637

eyesalwaysblue

Williams has been somewhere else mentally today.
    Along with any abillity
I still despise Clive Thomas..

March 05, 2017, 10:28:54 PM
Reply #638

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Get Holgate into the XI.

Not against that but don't think he's the answer at all at this point. I do wonder how bad Jags can really have deteriorated to not feature at all.

March 05, 2017, 10:36:55 PM
Reply #639

Evertonian in NC

Not against that but don't think he's the answer at all at this point. I do wonder how bad Jags can really have deteriorated to not feature at all.

Not the answer, probably, but I'd like to at least see if he and Mori are any improvement as a unit, and see which of them is better suited to be the #2 (or #3) CB option next season.  Williams should be 4th choice at best.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 05, 2017, 11:02:35 PM
Reply #640

velimski

Pretty bad afternoon all round.

Had a can of beer confiscated by the old bill seconds after opening it before KO.

We looked quite comfortable for the first 20 minutes, but not closing Kane down before he got his shot away was criminal. Appeared that Robles should have done better with the shot, although I couldn't really see the replay that well on the big screen.

Barry should have gone off at half time.

Suicidal back pass for the 2nd goal. Was it Schneiderlin? Couldn't really tell.

Funes Mori a liability throughout.

What the fuck has happened to Baines?

On a positive note, I thought Barkley was outstanding.

March 05, 2017, 11:02:57 PM
Reply #641

Lxxx

Robles has proved himself a competent No 2 now, which is great.
However we still need a new keeper and at least one commanding centre half. We barely had a sniff against a team with two commanding centre backs, it shows what we need to be one of the top teams

March 05, 2017, 11:18:16 PM
Reply #642

Everton Mint

No blame on Robles on the BBC report:

"The England forward's second came after the break. Belgian Mousa Dembele caught French midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin dawdling on the ball, allowing Dele Alli to poke a pass through to his team-mate. The Spurs striker then applied a sidefoot finish past the Spanish keeper."

March 05, 2017, 11:20:23 PM
Reply #643

Major Clanger

We looked quite comfortable for the first 20 minutes, but not closing Kane down before he got his shot away was criminal. Appeared that Robles should have done better with the shot, although I couldn't really see the replay that well on the big screen.

Gana stopped running with Kane and left Barry in two minds, having to cover the pass to Dele Alli or the shot from Kane, in the end he was caught in no man's land. Robles was really slow to react to that shot though.

Suicidal back pass for the 2nd goal. Was it Schneiderlin? Couldn't really tell.

Aye, he tried to pass it to Williams, who wasn't prepared to receive it, but then Schneiderlin didn't want the ball from Robles in the first place.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 05, 2017, 11:23:54 PM
Reply #644

American Evertonian

Not the answer, probably, but I'd like to at least see if he and Mori are any improvement as a unit, and see which of them is better suited to be the #2 (or #3) CB option next season.  Williams should be 4th choice at best.

This. Think Williams isn't far off from completely falling off the map and losing the plot
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.