Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 79633 times)

November 12, 2017, 03:01:44 PM
Reply #1485

Bluedylan

Alarm bells should have rang regarding Silva when his team conceded three in one half against us!

Nah, it's ludicrous to to make any sort of long term judgement of a manager based on one half of football, when you have years and years of his career in different countries to base a judgement on.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

deCoubertin

November 12, 2017, 03:04:21 PM
Reply #1486

Mayor Farnum

Nah, it's ludicrous to to make any sort of long term judgement of a manager based on one half of football, when you have years and years of his career in different countries to base a judgement on.

Different countries are not always comparable. He's done ok so far but it's too early to make a big push for him.

November 12, 2017, 03:06:31 PM
Reply #1487

Bluedylan

Different countries are not always comparable. He's done ok so far but it's too early to make a big push for him.

So if Watford had beaten us 7-0, would you be happy to make an appointment based on that one game? Of course not. Disagree with 'other countries not being comparable'. Not even really sure what that means. It's the same skills required, whichever country you manage in, and the game is international enough that the skills are directly transferable.

November 12, 2017, 03:09:55 PM
Reply #1488

KoemansNumberTens

Who do you want then? There's question marks against all of them but that's unfortunately the market we aren currently shopping in

November 12, 2017, 03:11:35 PM
Reply #1489

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
I'd rather not go for another manager who recently got a Premier League side relegated.

November 12, 2017, 03:12:31 PM
Reply #1490

Mayor Farnum

So if Watford had beaten us 7-0, would you be happy to make an appointment based on that one game? Of course not. Disagree with 'other countries not being comparable'. Not even really sure what that means. It's the same skills required, whichever country you manage in, and the game is international enough that the skills are directly transferable.

I was making a comment on our shortcomings rather than Silva's record to be fair.

Silva has potential but that's probably exaggerated because he's foreign and young. Most managers from abroad struggle at the lower end of the Premier League irrespective of their record in their previous countries; mostly because the Premier League is far more competitive from top to bottom.

November 12, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
Reply #1491

Mayor Farnum

Who do you want then? There's question marks against all of them but that's unfortunately the market we aren currently shopping in

I voted Allardyce; but that's unlikely to happen now.

November 12, 2017, 03:26:15 PM
Reply #1492

Jamokachi

Oh, hi Merson, how's things?

November 12, 2017, 03:28:06 PM
Reply #1493

Jamokachi

How anyone can want that fucking toad anywhere near our club is beyond me. Shame on you.

November 12, 2017, 03:29:06 PM
Reply #1494

KoemansNumberTens

I'd have no problem with him either but most seem utterly horrified by it.

Think there's not anyone (realistic) that we'd all be quite happy with. People seem to be leaning to a young foreign punt or unsworth. I'm really not sure we are in a position to take such a risk. Think allardyce and dyche are the safe options.

November 12, 2017, 03:33:07 PM
Reply #1495

Ramjam

I'd have no problem with him either but most seem utterly horrified by it.

Think there's not anyone (realistic) that we'd all be quite happy with. People seem to be leaning to a young foreign punt or unsworth. I'm really not sure we are in a position to take such a risk. Think allardyce and dyche are the safe options.

Allardyce wouldn’t give a fuck if we stayed up or went down, he’d be coming for the money, simple as that. I’d fuckin hate him to come here
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

November 12, 2017, 03:36:07 PM
Reply #1496

Gash

Global Moderator
Allardyce wouldn’t give a fuck if we stayed up or went down, he’d be coming for the money, simple as that. I’d fuckin hate him to come here

He would care, his ego wouldn't want to have a relegation on his CV. I'd imagine his salary would be heavily bonused on keeping us up as well.

November 12, 2017, 03:39:37 PM
Reply #1497

Bluedylan

I was making a comment on our shortcomings rather than Silva's record to be fair.

Silva has potential but that's probably exaggerated because he's foreign and young. Most managers from abroad struggle at the lower end of the Premier League irrespective of their record in their previous countries; mostly because the Premier League is far more competitive from top to bottom.

Well he didn't struggle at Hull. He almost miraculously kept them up, when they were dead and gone. And Watford are pretty much a lower Prem side, and he's doing pretty well with them. I'm not massively pro-Silva, but he seems like the best option around at the moment (bar the unrealistic options).

November 12, 2017, 03:45:56 PM
Reply #1498

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

Agree with this. I'm also not as convinced by his previous record as others.

Olympiacos

- Won the league, as they had done 18 of the last 20 years. The Greek league is very poor.
- quit after a year under dubious circumstances.

Sporting

- came third in the league, basically meeting bare minimum league expectations for Sporting, behind Benfica and Porto.
- won the equivalent of the FA Cup. This is a trophy that Sporting had already won twice in the previous eight years. To win it, Sporting beat Nacional (who are shit) in the semi, Braga (who are slightly less shit) in the final on penalties.
- got fired after a year under dubious circumstances.

Estoril

- Did very well, taking a struggling second tier club up to fifth then fourth in the top flight.

I'm just not sure how much weight we should be placing on this though. He became manager of Estoril straight from being a player there. You could argue that he was in a unique position that he won't be able to replicate in future, in terms of relationship and understanding with the squad to understand how to motivate them. And even if that's not true, the Portuguese league is average at best, the top 2-3 sides aside.

Whilst I commend his achievements, it's not far off saying we should appoint someone who's got a team out of League 1 to perform well in the championship.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:47:23 PM by Ell Capitan »

November 12, 2017, 03:46:15 PM
Reply #1499

Mayor Farnum

Well he didn't struggle at Hull. He almost miraculously kept them up, when they were dead and gone. And Watford are pretty much a lower Prem side, and he's doing pretty well with them. I'm not massively pro-Silva, but he seems like the best option around at the moment (bar the unrealistic options).

So he took Hull down with a little bit of a fight. Has he even managed twenty Premier League games yet?

Paul Clement kept Swansea up, is he not foreign enough?