October 24, 2017, 09:16:14 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 32435 times)

February 08, 2017, 12:33:45 AM
Reply #45

Lxxx

Much rather we do right by the academy graduates that don't make the grade here and look to set them on the best career path for themselves rather than worry about making a few million pound here and there.

We've a duty of career after all and still need to help them make the most of their career and talent as an when a decision is made to move them on.

Which is why striving to send them out on loan at the highest possible level is the best we can do for them. I clearly don't know the ins and outs but players like Ledson for example, who was highly rated by everyone not just within the club but at international level, finds himself at Oxford and others like him find themselves lost in the lower leagues. Whereas the shite's obscure reserves find themselves still at a decent level when they move on.

I think the more professional setup we have now will reap dividends not just for us but for the kids as well.

deCoubertin

February 08, 2017, 12:50:35 AM
Reply #46

MmmBlueRamirez

They also got 15m for a lad who had barely done anything but just because Rodgers called him the new Raheem Sterling it got everyone excited.

We'll never get the value the shite get but something would be nice.
I feel sorry for these young lads with the terrible black stain on their souls.....
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

February 08, 2017, 12:56:07 AM
Reply #47

Ross

Which is why striving to send them out on loan at the highest possible level is the best we can do for them. I clearly don't know the ins and outs but players like Ledson for example, who was highly rated by everyone not just within the club but at international level, finds himself at Oxford and others like him find themselves lost in the lower leagues. Whereas the shite's obscure reserves find themselves still at a decent level when they move on.

I think the more professional setup we have now will reap dividends not just for us but for the kids as well.

No sending them to the club that offers them the best possible opportunities of advancement is the right thing to for them, you only have to see how Galloway has fared this season at West Brom to see that. If he'd have gone to Newcastle or Derby it's likely he'd have came back in the summer with 40 odd senior games under his belt rather than having spent 40 odd games sat on his backside. Sadly we decided to prioritise the money over the players advancement and we and him will be worse off for it in the long run.

I can't believe youre making a comparison to the shite as well. Our academy has proven far superior over the last 20+ years in comparison to theirs. We've produced footballers fit for the premiership time and again in that period, saving ourselves multiple millions in the process, as well as launching dozens of local kids into professional football.

It's a ridiculous point, the sale of Wayne Rooney alone has probably eclipsed whatever the shite have gained from their graduate sales in the last 20 years, that's before you factor in the fees for Rodwell, Anichebe, Vaughan.....

All we need to do is carry on doing right by individual like we have been, it's clearly working.

Do right by each and every graduate and don't treat them as pieces of meat.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 08, 2017, 01:46:43 AM
Reply #48

Lxxx

No sending them to the club that offers them the best possible opportunities of advancement is the right thing to for them, you only have to see how Galloway has fared this season at West Brom to see that. If he'd have gone to Newcastle or Derby it's likely he'd have came back in the summer with 40 odd senior games under his belt rather than having spent 40 odd games sat on his backside. Sadly we decided to prioritise the money over the players advancement and we and him will be worse off for it in the long run.

I can't believe youre making a comparison to the shite as well. Our academy has proven far superior over the last 20+ years in comparison to theirs. We've produced footballers fit for the premiership time and again in that period, saving ourselves multiple millions in the process, as well as launching dozens of local kids into professional football.

It's a ridiculous point, the sale of Wayne Rooney alone has probably eclipsed whatever the shite have gained from their graduate sales in the last 20 years, that's before you factor in the fees for Rodwell, Anichebe, Vaughan.....

All we need to do is carry on doing right by individual like we have been, it's clearly working.

Do right by each and every graduate and don't treat them as pieces of meat.

There was nothing wrong with the Galloway loan in principle, he'd be getting valuable experience at the top level under a defensive manager. He started the season playing in the 1st team but a run of poor form and the failure to put in a recall clause meant it wasn't as beneficial as planned. It was definitely worth a shot.

As I said, the new setup we have across the whole club will benefit everyone concerned now from top to bottom.

February 08, 2017, 01:55:32 AM
Reply #49

Hawkandro

What actually happened with Ledson? He was regarded as the brightest midfielder in Britain; did he just not kick on when needed?
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

February 08, 2017, 04:44:42 AM
Reply #50

Ross

There was nothing wrong with the Galloway loan in principle, he'd be getting valuable experience at the top level under a defensive manager. He started the season playing in the 1st team but a run of poor form and the failure to put in a recall clause meant it wasn't as beneficial as planned. It was definitely worth a shot.

As I said, the new setup we have across the whole club will benefit everyone concerned now from top to bottom.

What apart from the simple fact Pulis has no history of developing young talent?

He was taken in as back up when they had an injury crisis and as soon as senior players were fit they took his place. It wasn't to do with form that he was dropped, because Galloways form was fine, in fact they did quite well in the 3 games he started in if I recall correctly. It was just a poor choice of club and just because they're a premiership club, a "big club", shouldn't come into it for what should be obvious reasons.

I'm also pretty sure you can't place a recall option when it's a long term loan is between two premiership clubs.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 08, 2017, 05:02:06 AM
Reply #51

Jamokachi

Much rather we do right by the academy graduates that don't make the grade here and look to set them on the best career path for themselves rather than worry about making a few million pound here and there.

We've a duty of career after all and still need to help them make the most of their career and talent as an when a decision is made to move them on.

Was about to say the very same. Thankfully I think this is the attitude we have, the Jose Baxter situation being an indication of such.

February 08, 2017, 05:21:45 AM
Reply #52

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Common knowledge that Galloway was struggling during his minutes there and in general West Brom fans don't have a fucking clue why they signed him.

It takes three to tango. They wanted him, he wanted to go, we wanted him to prove that he's Prem standard. Let's get the deal done.

I don't remember anyone moaning that he went there, with many enthused that it was smart business. At the end of the day it's Galloway' a fault that he can't overtake Chris Brunt as West Brom's left back.

Seems like someone continues to make shit up just to argue with people on the internet.

February 08, 2017, 06:14:35 AM
Reply #53

Rhys

What apart from the simple fact Pulis has no history of developing young talent?

He was taken in as back up when they had an injury crisis and as soon as senior players were fit they took his place. It wasn't to do with form that he was dropped, because Galloways form was fine, in fact they did quite well in the 3 games he started in if I recall correctly. It was just a poor choice of club and just because they're a premiership club, a "big club", shouldn't come into it for what should be obvious reasons.

I'm also pretty sure you can't place a recall option when it's a long term loan is between two premiership clubs.

Chelsea did with ake which is why they brought him back in January.

February 08, 2017, 09:13:51 AM
Reply #54

Jamokachi

Re: Galloway, I think it's pretty evident (with the benefit of hindsight) that a move to the Championship would have been better for the lad. He's not quite Premier League week in week out standard yet, christ he came to us from MK Dons... that's a big step, especially for a defender. Getting regular games for Newcastle or Derby etc would have been hugely beneficial to his development, as well as confidence.

At West Brom he's behind some good players in that West Brom team, guys who are having a great season. There's no shame in not being able to force his way in. Neither is he a left back by trade. We played him there and he looked alright but he's a centre back. Given Pulis' penchant for absolute cloggers at the back does Galloway actually fit the mold?

More realistically West Brom saw a cheap option of providing cover for their defence. If we are interested in the development of the player and see him as a long term option this isn't good for us. Neither is it good for the player.

Perhaps we don't see his future with us? Perhaps we were lead on by West Brom and this was their intentions all along? Perhaps Pulis simply doesn't rate Galloway as much as he thought he did and plans have changed?

If we do see his future with us, then West Brom was the wrong option. That much is obvious.

February 08, 2017, 04:31:25 PM
Reply #55

Major Clanger

Chelsea did with ake which is why they brought him back in January.

Which is weird because there really used to be a rule like that.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

February 08, 2017, 07:04:17 PM
Reply #56

bigmanbob

February 08, 2017, 10:10:04 PM
Reply #57

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

February 08, 2017, 11:16:30 PM
Reply #58

WeimaranerBlues

February 09, 2017, 03:54:50 AM
Reply #59

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.