June 27, 2017, 12:27:22 AM

Author Topic: Scottish Football Thread (SPFL etc)  (Read 5870 times)

August 20, 2016, 01:52:04 AM
Reply #45

Haile GAZrselassie

The SPL is the non-event of non-events. It's basically full of rejects, failures and candlestick makers.

The wags of Scottish football players are actually looked down upon by the rest of the filth in Scotland!! Instead of Jimmy choos and mikael kors its Jonathan James and Mk1.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

August 21, 2016, 02:06:32 AM
Reply #46

toffee_scot

Scott Brown sums up the state of Scottish football, one of the top players there even though he's not very good and in his 30's now and never once been seriously linked with a big move.

Except...

http://stv.tv/sport/football/118839-scott-brown-to-leave-celtic-for-everton/

August 21, 2016, 02:53:44 AM
Reply #47

Gash

Global Moderator
Except...

http://stv.tv/sport/football/118839-scott-brown-to-leave-celtic-for-everton/

Yeah, frightening wasn't it. I don't think it was the serious a situation. He may well have improved if he'd come to the Premier League but I doubt it.

August 21, 2016, 02:55:37 AM
Reply #48

toffee_scot

Well, Rangers/Sevco/NewCO are back (whatever you want to call them) - do you see them challenging for the league championship and other cups this year?

I think Rangers will definitely be at the top end of the table, at the very worst they might finish 3rd. They will expect to have a good run in the cups as well - I expect them to reach at least one final.

Or will Celtic do the full domestic treble with Brendan  Rogers and also progress in the Champions League tonight (vs Hapeol - Israeli team) and further into the competition?

Celtic will be favourites to win the title and I think with Rangers back there will be certainly more motivation and less complacency than the last few seasons. A treble's certainly possible but it just takes one defeat and you're out.

Are their any decent players in that league you would like to sign? (Jason Cummings - Hibs, Dembele/Kieran Tierney -Celtic etc)

I was quite surprised Dembele signed for Celtic, I thought a Premier League club south of the border would have signed him. I must admit, every season I grow less and less interested in Scottish domestic football so I couldn't say who potential stars could be. Although I keep an eye on my local team Aberdeen and players like Niall McGinn and Adam Rooney have done well for the club plus Johnny Hayes and Ryan Jack, I can't see any of them make the step up to the Premier League, in fact Rooney struggled at Championship and League One level down south.

Why is the SPFL so shit despite x2 massive teams playing in it, to the point where Mark Warburton is complaining that Rangers are having to offload players to Championship teams in the UK who pay higher money?

Gash answered that question very well. Overall it all comes down to money available and lack of parties interested in investing in Scottish football especially as there is little they would get in return compared to south of the border. In the Sky era, a lot of money has been invested in the English Premier League and it seems a lot of that money has trickled down to the lower leagues where even some of the poorest League One and even League Two clubs still have more resources and a better football infrastructure than most of the professional Scottish clubs.

Is their anyone in the Scottish National Team you'd like at Everton?

Sadly not really, maybe one or two players like David Marshall and Andrew Robertson but mainly as back up players.

August 21, 2016, 04:06:04 AM
Reply #49

Thomas

@toffee_scot thanks for reading all that mate and answering/making a contribution, even if your partial to being an Aberdeen fan ;) (Just kidding)

Good win today for Celtic, 4-2 away to St Johnstone. Lovely James Forrest goal.

Unfortunately have a wierd feeling Rangers will do the domestic cup double whilst Celtic will concentrate on the CL and winning the SPFL at a canter.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:07:11 AM by Thomas »

August 23, 2016, 10:47:34 AM
Reply #50

bacon sarnie

“As a coach I only know too well if you don’t have maximum concentration in the game that you can concede goals,” he said. “We always have to be aware of that. We respect Beer-Sheva and their qualities and they will be doing everything they possibly can to qualify. But the prize is with us and it is only for us to lose and we don’t intend to lose it very easily."

Brendan knows.

August 24, 2016, 05:40:42 AM
Reply #51

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

August 27, 2016, 01:56:01 AM
Reply #52

Thomas

Rangers featuring Joey Barton vs Killy.

Is it me or does Killy's pitch look like a farm or fake grass?

August 27, 2016, 02:00:03 AM
Reply #53

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Rangers featuring Joey Barton vs Killy.

Is it me or does Killy's pitch look like a farm or fake grass?
Isn't it 4g
Heisenberg thoughts on Lukaku :
If he was English his value would be 10-15.

August 27, 2016, 03:44:17 AM
Reply #54

Gash

Global Moderator
Isn't it 4g

Aye, it is.

I'd have gone to this if I'd realised earlier than 6pm that it was on. Used to go to Kilmarnock quite a bit as a couple of mates are fans.

August 27, 2016, 03:47:52 AM
Reply #55

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Aye, it is.

I'd have gone to this if I'd realised earlier than 6pm that it was on. Used to go to Kilmarnock quite a bit as a couple of mates are fans.
Good win too, or have I jinxed it
Heisenberg thoughts on Lukaku :
If he was English his value would be 10-15.

August 27, 2016, 03:59:26 AM
Reply #56

Gash

Global Moderator
Good win too, or have I jinxed it

Finished 1-1. Killie down to 10 men as well, Kris Boyd scoring against his former club.

August 28, 2016, 12:19:43 AM
Reply #57

Thomas

@Gash @Jimmywhack - whats 4G pitches lads?

Here's Celtics goals today, they smashed the Oil Cans 4-1. The Leigh Griffiths goal is a good one.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:20:18 AM by Thomas »

August 28, 2016, 12:25:51 AM
Reply #58

Gash

Global Moderator

September 10, 2016, 09:12:24 PM
Reply #59

Thomas

Celtic keep their 100% record with a 5-1 win at Paradise over Rangers.

4 points clear with a game in hand. Nice.