November 22, 2017, 06:47:41 PM

Poll

Would you rather your team:

Cheated and won
17 (60.7%)
Lost honourably
11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: The Suarez Question...  (Read 1794 times)

March 09, 2017, 01:53:26 PM
Reply #15

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
What a player aye.

He's a cheating cunt but so was marradonna.

Always has been and always will be a part of the game.

March 09, 2017, 02:20:51 PM
Reply #16

Gash

Global Moderator
The attempt he made earlier for a penalty for TH levels, mind.

The one he was booked for? Nah, you see that kind of thing every week and Neymar did it all game as well, mostly outside the box.

I'm not condoning it, I hate diving but under the circumstances it's no surprise they were trying anything and everything to win the game.

March 09, 2017, 03:37:18 PM
Reply #17

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
yeah i just want to win, cheating or not. Id have Suarez in my team.

Well we now know who the three are that voted for cheating, not talking about last nights pen which could have gone either way talking about the principle of cheating to win in any sport, what's the point ?
I would take no pleasure in supporting a team who persistently cheated rather than show superior skills, that's no longer sport , it's fraud. In amateur golf you have no referees and often you are out of sight of your fellow players but may be called upon to penalise yourself, I.e. movement of the ball after removing a leaf or debris, an unseen double hit in the bunker, an unseen air shot, you take the penalty because those are the rules and anything less and the only person you are cheating is yourself, no time for cheats in my lif

March 09, 2017, 04:12:36 PM
Reply #18

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
having been in the losing dressing room after a cup final where we were blatantly cheated I would never want anyone to feel the way I did after that. You never mind losing to a better team, but to see months and years of hard work taken from you is soul destroying. I'm not talking about gamesmanship, but out and out cheating. Everyone gets away with a little. So it's a lose honourably for me.

Disclaimer: except when it comes to them lot. Beating them in whatever manner, I don't care. In fact I'd love to see the indignation on their faces
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

March 09, 2017, 04:13:14 PM
Reply #19

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Well we now know who the three are that voted for cheating, not talking about last nights pen which could have gone either way talking about the principle of cheating to win in any sport, what's the point ?
I would take no pleasure in supporting a team who persistently cheated rather than show superior skills, that's no longer sport , it's fraud. In amateur golf you have no referees and often you are out of sight of your fellow players but may be called upon to penalise yourself, I.e. movement of the ball after removing a leaf or debris, an unseen double hit in the bunker, an unseen air shot, you take the penalty because those are the rules and anything less and the only person you are cheating is yourself, no time for cheats in my lif

Im talking about diving for a pen in the last minute of a champions league game. Id rather that than going out. Id defo hve a suarez in my team.
I have to return some videotapes.

March 09, 2017, 04:20:18 PM
Reply #20

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Fair enough but only because that has sadly become the norm in football and it is a gamble, you take a big risk of getting a yellow or even a red if the ref deems it a dive.

March 09, 2017, 04:21:04 PM
Reply #21

Major Clanger

Im talking about diving for a pen in the last minute of a champions league game. Id rather that than going out. Id defo hve a suarez in my team.

Players cheat because they're allowed to get away with it.

If the IFAB and the refereeing bodies would do everything to stamp out cheating and a player would still continue to cheat, he deserves everything coming at him.

But since they don't even seem to try, I can't really blame the players for doing it. They're paid to win after all.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 09, 2017, 04:22:00 PM
Reply #22

Major Clanger

Fair enough but only because that has sadly become the norm in football and it is a gamble, you take a big risk of getting a yellow or even a red if the ref deems it a dive.

A very small risk of a yellow maybe. No risk whatsoever of a red.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

March 09, 2017, 08:07:23 PM
Reply #23

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Yellows often given for diving and if he was already on a yellow he gets a red.

March 09, 2017, 11:36:41 PM
Reply #24

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
You rarely see anyone get to the top without cheating in some way.

And when you look back at team's honors lists, who really looks beyond those stats? You take any advantage you can to win.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

March 10, 2017, 12:33:30 AM
Reply #25

kramer0

There are a lot of players in world football who look to prey on moments of carelessness from the defense -- a trailing leg, a stray arm, etc. -- by falling down. It's a cheap tactic and the way these actions are officiated is erratic but a lot of the time these things don't look much different than actual fouls. Diving is going to be a part of the game until we can tell the difference in real time or there's some kind of video review process (which I'm not particularly keen on given the way video review can disrupt the flow of American sports like (American) football and basketball).

The problem I have with Suarez, and it might not make a difference to most, is the way he goes down like he's been mortally wounded to get the decisions. See yesterday's penalty -- Marquinhos extends his arm which gives Suarez the opportunity to fall down and Suarez sells it by clutching his chest like he's having a heart attack. It's the same deal as the Rodwell derby. Rodwell wins the ball cleanly, Suarez hits the ground like he's been shot, and the official gives a red card for something that wasn't even a foul. The best (worst) example of him pulling this trick was in the World Cup, where Suarez bit Chiellini and went down clutching his own face as if he was the victim. It's embarrassing behavior regardless of how great the player is. The only thing more embarrassing is that officials keep buying the act.

Obviously, this probably comes across as a bit sanctimonious and it's not possible for me to be objective about Suarez given the deep well of hatred I have for him dating back to his Liverpool days. But his antics are a bridge too far for me and I don't think I could sign off on them just for the sake of winning. (For what it's worth, I was fine with the goal-saving handball in the World Cup. Slimy as it is, it's an action that has clearly defined consequences and I'd expect any of our players to do the same in similar circumstances.)

Tom Davies has just the right amount of snideness for me*.

* Unless he starts playacting, biting, or racially abusing people.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:36:38 AM by kramer0 »

March 12, 2017, 04:10:15 AM
Reply #26

chang

Well if we won the league and our entire team was found to be jacked up on PEDs and or were caught paying the refs to match fix that is unforgivable and would be a disgrace.

With the Suarez thing, the lines become a bit more blurred as diving is considered part of the game now, so when the environment is the way it is what can you do?

Ref - linesman and the bloke behind the goal all close by and not one of them saw it as a dive ? ..... that's just "big team at home in the shit incompetence"

March 12, 2017, 02:59:49 PM
Reply #27

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Cheating is such an emotive word with a broad spectrum as to its definition. Diving has become part of the game, players are taught to go down when there is contact in the area. Is it cheating or gamesmanship? Because i would say, even though I hate diving, that its gamesmanship and something that refs need to be more consistent on in their handling. However, falling over and feigning an injury when a player comes up to you in an altercation (like that City player against Rom) is cheating and needs to be dealt with. Players in all sports are going to play the percentages in bending the rules. If I didn't do that when I was playing rugby I wouldn't be doing my job properly
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

March 12, 2017, 11:26:10 PM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Normally you get players who are divers; players who are bad snides; players who try to injure players; players who try to get others sent off etc.

Any one of these traits is enough for most people to dislike that player.

However Suarez is a leading exponent in all of these categories.

I've never seen a player who is pretty much constantly got some form of cheating in his mind.

It's actually pretty impressive from a mental capacity point of view that he's able to play well and think of all these scenarios at the same time.

March 12, 2017, 11:39:45 PM
Reply #29

Mac934

Surely gamesmanship is cheating. It is deliberately trying to fool officials any way possible. The refereeing is atrocious nowadays, they know it happens, but, do next to nothing to stop it. Now the powers to be are looking into ' only the captain 'can talk to the ref, how long do anyone think that will last? As for Suarez, he is a class 1 snidely bastard, but is not alone by any means.