July 16, 2018, 10:20:28 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
The Everton Forum / Re: Summer signings
« Last post by howard1334 on 1 hour ago »
I don't buy that.

For example -- last season's match against Silva's Watford (Unsworth in charge). We're defending a one goal lead late in the match, Watford are probing for an equalizer. We have a solid defensive shape, Watford have possession in a harmless part of midfield. Gana makes a mad dash to go win the ball, Watford work the ball around him and pass through the space he vacated to win a penalty. Pressuring the ball isn't some virtuous pursuit in this situation. We were winning, we were well positioned, Watford were up to absolutely nothing. Ultimately, we were lucky that Cleverley took an awful penalty.

Gana's game is full of these little gambles to win possession back, regardless of whether or not we need to win it. It's why I hate it when we give him any sort of positional freedom. I think all of his best football is played when he stays in his own half and moves side to side to break up or slow down counterattacks.

Of course there are instances where Gueye is singularly at fault because of his over exuberance, as you rightly have pointed out here. But I don't think that is wrong that Gueye will fair better in a team that works, and presses, as a team better than we did this past season.
The Everton Forum / Re: [News]Is VAR ruining the game?
« Last post by bluenuck on 2 hours ago »
Its a no for VAR from me. It's going to get to the point were you cant celebrate goals properly because you're waiting for some form of check/analysis. The best moments in football are them last gasp 'limbs' winners, all about being in the moment. I get the points for pro VAR but for me, personally the negatives outweigh the positives

You're only negative is not being able to celebrate a goal properly.

not having a pop at you, but that's a pretty weak argument.
« Last post by blueToffee on 3 hours ago »
Its a no for VAR from me. It's going to get to the point were you cant celebrate goals properly because you're waiting for some form of check/analysis. The best moments in football are them last gasp 'limbs' winners, all about being in the moment. I get the points for pro VAR but for me, personally the negatives outweigh the positives

Were any of the goals at the World Cup not celebrated? I don’t remember Kane’s last minute winner against Tunisia being an issue, and for a tournament with so many late goals I don’t remember any set of fans less jubilant.
General Football Chat / Re: Russia 2018
« Last post by Confucius on 4 hours ago »
1990 was also the first work cup that had all the games on tv etc. So was much more in our conscience. 1986 was in a weird time zone and not everything was on tv. Did watch the semi of the 86 World Cup and enjoyed that.
General Football Chat / Re: Russia 2018
« Last post by blargins on 4 hours ago »
It's difficult to explain but it was the last WC before the game became what it is now. Hardly any foreign players played for British sides for example do we were watching people we'd only ever heard about or see every four years. But things like Argentina being beaten by Cameroon in the opening game, the tension of England's group with it almost going to the toss of a coin to decide who would go through. The Cameroon and Belgium games for England. The quality was probably not the best but the excitement was right up there. It was also a really hot summer and that helped. Also the hype and 24/7 news coverage wasn't there so there's was genuine anticipation for the next game.

And of course Pavaroti!

I think also, for me at least, it was my last summer of being a kid. Finished 6th form that year and it was the last summer me and my mates spent together. Playing footie for hours in the sun and then home to watch the games. Of course, not every game was broadcast like nowadays, which possibly made it all the more special.

Also, we never knew how good we had it with Sir Bobby. The clown Taylor who took over afterwards and totally fucked England up for the next few years.
« Last post by Ross on 4 hours ago »
“Clear and obvious error”
« Last post by TheRam on 4 hours ago »
VAR wasn’t the issue today.

It was the ref and how he interpreted the laws of the game regarding the handball.

« Last post by blargins on 4 hours ago »
I was against VAR before the tournament, but I think it has certainly helped. I don't think as many of the lesser nations would have got through, some of the VAR decisions certainly helped in the early games with penalties etc which probably wouldn't have been awarded.

It's still in its infancy and I agree with @Cereal Killer above that people need to let go of the Greizzman incident. It clearly needs more time to bed in and perhaps 3 calls per team per game would be a good idea as well to limit using it all the time, although it wasn't used greatly in the tournament.

I think also the VAR technicians should have a certain time to communicate a key incident to the ref if he missed it like a clear penalty, a dive or whatnot for the ref to take a look at.

I'd like to see it in the prem and I think it would help the rest of the league more.
« Last post by Ross on 5 hours ago »
VAR was supposed to clear up all obvious wrong doings and injustices at the highest level, yet today and many times before in this tournament,  there’s all kind of talking points and possible injustice after it’s been used.

It’ll always boil down to human error or interpretation so for me it’s better to have one man in charge who’s in the thick of the action and Jonny on the spot.
General Football Chat / Re: General transfer window discussion
« Last post by Ross on 5 hours ago »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10