September 19, 2019, 08:40:43 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 65138 times)

Offline GLewis

• NSNO Subscriber
  • Dixie Dean
Re: Should we sack Steve Walsh?
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »
The lack of understanding was definitely a problem but I think the biggest hindrance to getting the new players to function together was Koeman's insistence on long balls out of defense. Most of the new signings do their best work with the ball at their feet and options around them. Asking them to chase after scraps was a pretty serious miscalculation.

We basically built this team around a type of player we never bought. Which is embarrassing for all sorts of reasons. Say we got Giroud and he was, in fact, the perfect player to tie everything together. What if he gets injured? This squad needed a B-level target man too and it's a bit ridiculous that we didn't go for one. Mounie and Haller were not particularly expensive.

Oh yeah I agree with all that.

I just mean that after that player didnít materialise then we should have been working really hard on making easier passing options for the back 3/4.

While his pragmatism could be a positive, itís clear that he was happy for players to get shut if they werenít confident and / or under pressure.

Think that comes back to his natural assumption that because he could do it, then so should other top flight players etc.

Anyway back on thread...

Iíve watched Haller a couple of times recently (scored last night) and not sure heís someone who looks like that should be made for the PL but still a bit gangly.

But yes, given that we needed a back up anyway, relatively cheap ďgamblesĒ.

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team