December 11, 2018, 03:32:51 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 36225 times)

Offline beyondblue

• Phil Neville
Re: What to do with our current squad
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
What we really "need" is half of a new team.

An issue that should now be all too obvious to football as a whole is that signing a large number of players at the same time does not work. The players can't all gel at once and few seem to have a long-term impact on the club.

It hasn't happened for us (why is another debate), it didn't work for Tottenham after selling Bale, it didn't work for QPR and it hasn't totally worked for AC either.

The club needs to get its off-pitch backroom signings in order before spending another 150m, throwing money at a problem which has been proven won't be fixed in this way. As much as it pains me to say, to keep any form of consistency and familiarity off the pitch going into next season, I think some of the deadwood should be kept on.

I'd love to see Robles, Martina, Williams, Garbutt, Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Besic, Niasse, Bolasie and all of the of the others taken to the scrap heap, but I don't think we can really afford to.

Next year we realistically need to focus on stabilising the team, getting some consistency back and aiming for 7-9th. 150m for a back-up goalie, left back, right back, centre back, centre mid, winger and couple of strikers all at once might isn't likely to achieve this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:23:40 PM by beyondblue »

Thank-o-Matic 3.0 By Adk Team