45 (57%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)
Browning (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Southampton v Everton  (Read 51042 times)

August 10, 2015, 08:43:26 AM
Read 51042 times

Shogun

Administrator

Southampton FC v Everton FC
St Mary's Stadium
Saturday 15th August 12:45
Premier League Match 2

Everton's Opening Fixtures

Everton 2-2 Watford (Barkley, Kone)
Southampton v Everton
Everton v Man City
Tottenham v Everton
Everton v Chelsea

Southampton's Opening Fixtures

Newcastle 2-2 Southampton (Pelle, Long)
Southampton v Everton
Watford v Southampton
Southampton v Norwich
West Brom v Southampton

Southampton

My stats site is down for whatever reason so these previews will be even worse than usual, but stay with me. Southampton played in their final round of Europa League Qualifying before the Premier League began and they finished the tie against Vitesse with a 5-0 win over the two legs before jetting off to Newcastle for their opening fixture. Goals from Graziano Pelle and Shane Long earned a point in a 2-2 draw at St James' Park in a game that The Saints both led and trailed. Southampton only conceded 13 goals in 19 league matches at St Mary's Stadium in the premier league last season which is a feat only beaten by Chelsea who conceded just 9 goals. Of those 19 league matches, Southampton managed to keep 11 clean sheets which was the joint most alongside Chelsea.

It's pretty much another summer of overhaul for Southampton after the sales of Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin. Toby Alderweireld was also a big part of the Southampton defence last season but decided to move to Tottenham Hotspur following his loan expiration. Matters were made worse when Fraser Forster picked up a long term injury which will likely keep him out for the vast majority of the season which means that Southampton's excellent defence from last season and been somewhat torn apart. Both right backs bought in the summer featured at Newcastle as Cedric Soares came off for Cuco Martino after a difficult first half display. Steven Caulker was brought in on loan following his back to back relegation campaigns but had to watch from the bench as Jose Fonte and Maya Yoshia were preferred in defence. Jordy Clasie is meant to be boss.

Possible Line-Ups

Everton

For a third successive season, Everton kicked off with a 2-2 draw and despite the fact this was the only one of those three matches where Everton didn't throw away a lead, it seemed the most disappointing of all. Everton had 67% of the ball against Watford and managed 10 shots, Watford exceeded that with 11 shots and just 33% of possession. Creativity from the Everton midfield was abject with Cleverley creating the most opportunities (3) followed by Barry (1), Barkley (1), Mirallas (1) and McCarthy (0) whilst Lukaku won just 5/14 aerial duels and 0/6 in the opposition penalty area. Everton have a miserable record at St Mary's Stadium under Roberto Martinez with an aggregate score of 5-0 and three own goals. The last Everton player to score away at Southampton was Marcus Bent in a memorable 2-2 draw back in 2005.

Seeing as the opening match of this season was effectively the 39th match of last season then it's worth viewing a comparison of Martinez's first couple of seasons at Everton. The Toffees points total was 25 points lower than the first season which is the joint 5th biggest drop by a team in Premier League history (the record is 30, held by Leeds and Ipswich). As the graphic shows, Everton were down in almost every important area in last season's campaign and perhaps the biggest thing to take from those stats being the tackles won and tackles lost per game differential which was perhaps a reflection of Everton's lack of intensity last season and sluggishness during matches. Everton went behind in 20 of their 38 premier league matches last season came back to take just 7 points from a possible 60 and just one win (West Ham A). Everton fell behind in 14 of their matches in the 2013/14 season and picked up 10 points from a possible 42.

Statistics

August 10, 2015, 08:45:26 AM
Reply #1

Shogun

Administrator
If you think the potential line up looks unlikely then you're right. I didn't have a clue.

I'm just assuming that Mirallas isn't going to start because of that injury and Deulofeu won't be back yet which leaves us with zero wingers and I think Martinez will want Kone to start after his substitute performance.

August 10, 2015, 12:36:05 PM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

Check Shogs out with his early match thread. Top drawer stuff as ever.

We're on BT and we don't appear to have a winger available. It doesn't sound like it's going to be pretty.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 10, 2015, 01:23:30 PM
Reply #3

TSGun

I'd almost be tempted to play 5 at the back with Oviedo and Coleman as wingbacks for any possible width in this game. Most likely wont happen though.

I like the shout to start Kone in some capacity. When these forward types start scoring they can come in quick succession.

August 10, 2015, 02:10:02 PM
Reply #4

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Second game of the season and I already cant be arsed
Simply simply lovely

August 10, 2015, 02:54:04 PM
Reply #5

hill135

Southampton are better than us. Can see it being a comfortable win for them.

August 10, 2015, 03:10:32 PM
Reply #6

Gash

Global Moderator
Check Shogs out with his early match thread. Top drawer stuff as ever.

We're on BT and we don't appear to have a winger available. It doesn't sound like it's going to be pretty.

I was starting to think we were on MNF tonight when I saw this posted. ;)

August 10, 2015, 03:16:13 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

I was starting to think we were on MNF tonight when I saw this posted. ;)

In depth analysis, as ever.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 10, 2015, 03:56:45 PM
Reply #8

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Think we would've struggled to get a point here anyway but if you add in the BT sport factor it's a nailed on defeat...2/3-1.

Going to be a twat of a game for our fans, longest away trip for an early KO.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

August 10, 2015, 04:01:50 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

I'll be watching from behind the sofa.

August 10, 2015, 04:13:15 PM
Reply #10

BlueBeagle

Switching from Virgin Media to BT the day before by pure fluke so I will be able to watch us get beaten on the tele rather than the laptop :cheers:

August 10, 2015, 04:57:47 PM
Reply #11

TheBlueBrony

2-0 defeat and Michael Owen to make me launch the telly through the window.
"I am a Phenomenal team player" - Roberto Martinez's CV, 2016

August 10, 2015, 05:05:46 PM
Reply #12

sootyjrw

Got a feeling we might sneak a draw, hit them on the break and with Kone and Ross gaining extra confidence from the last game, hopefully Arouna starts as a front 2 as Lukaku looked better with a strike partner

August 10, 2015, 05:11:46 PM
Reply #13

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
It's grim that our last goal away at these was by Marcus Bent.

I've got a sneaky feeling Goldenhead is gonna step up to the plate again
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

August 10, 2015, 05:14:11 PM
Reply #14

blue slug

Luckily I am on me hols so will avoid all football for a week