6 (8.5%)
Browning (Sub)
0 (0%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Everton v Manchester City  (Read 41345 times)

August 24, 2015, 07:08:51 AM
Reply #525

Rhys

That pic says to me we lack connection between 'the hole' in midfield and the centre forward.....

It's not just that its the whole shape. We've all be saying for the majority of the last year we are too narrow too often. If you just had our picture there it looks poor. But compare it to city's, backed up what I thought from today of how sterling and navas held the width very well and didn't congest the middle so it allowed silva to pick up spaces where he wanted and link well with aguero, the two midfielders behind him and the wide players.

Their graphic there has wide players holding wide, a forward and number 10 close together. Full backs pushed high to support and their two centre midfielders in the right area. Whereas ours we have the left winger and number 10 on top of each other, in fact the two centre mids, left winger and number 10 are all in the same spot pretty much. Combined with rom being isolated.

It's no wonder it feels narrow when we watch us when you look at things like that. To be fair to cleverley and I thought this last week he isn't a natural wide player but he holds his width much better than others, doesn't take much either discipline or instruction and its amazing what stretching the play and giving defences a bit more to think about can do.

And what makes it more frustrating was he had the opportunity to try and stretch the width a bit when he brought kone off if he'd put mirallas or deulofeu on, instead put another central player out left to keep the problems we had going. Very strange.

August 24, 2015, 09:58:38 AM
Reply #526

bluenuck

It's not just that its the whole shape. We've all be saying for the majority of the last year we are too narrow too often. If you just had our picture there it looks poor. But compare it to city's, backed up what I thought from today of how sterling and navas held the width very well and didn't congest the middle so it allowed silva to pick up spaces where he wanted and link well with aguero, the two midfielders behind him and the wide players.

Their graphic there has wide players holding wide, a forward and number 10 close together. Full backs pushed high to support and their two centre midfielders in the right area. Whereas ours we have the left winger and number 10 on top of each other, in fact the two centre mids, left winger and number 10 are all in the same spot pretty much. Combined with rom being isolated.

It's no wonder it feels narrow when we watch us when you look at things like that. To be fair to cleverley and I thought this last week he isn't a natural wide player but he holds his width much better than others, doesn't take much either discipline or instruction and its amazing what stretching the play and giving defences a bit more to think about can do.

And what makes it more frustrating was he had the opportunity to try and stretch the width a bit when he brought kone off if he'd put mirallas or deulofeu on, instead put another central player out left to keep the problems we had going. Very strange.

I agree fully with what you say. But our left back on that graphic is usually higher up the pitch. Which makes for the left winger(Kone in this instance) to be over more to the left. Galloway was obviously given instructions not to move forward which hurt our width even more. It brings Kone in, and even brings cleverly back a bit because City don't have to really defend the right side.

The two CM's, Barkley, and Kone being so close together is just bad.

August 24, 2015, 01:53:00 PM
Reply #527

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree fully with what you say. But our left back on that graphic is usually higher up the pitch. Which makes for the left winger(Kone in this instance) to be over more to the left. Galloway was obviously given instructions not to move forward which hurt our width even more. It brings Kone in, and even brings cleverly back a bit because City don't have to really defend the right side.

The two CM's, Barkley, and Kone being so close together is just bad.

The left back usually gets up the pitch more if you've got decent possession.

Particularly if there's someone near the left back who they can give the ball to or get it from.

Couple that with Galloway being a CB then it's really no surprise that the left side of the pitch is vacated.

With Navas staying wide there would have been almost no chance for him to get forward but he's not going to be the same as Baines, Garbutt, Oviedo whatever the opposition is like.

I can see why Cleverley was used on the right as Sterling and Kolarov is a better two going forward that Navas and Sagna so the starting choices were fine.

But when we needed a goal and having Browning at LB to not take a chance to change this was poor.

August 24, 2015, 01:55:49 PM
Reply #528

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Although I'd say over the past year it seems to me that our full backs' first touches in our moves are often much deeper than prior to 14/15 where they would often be around the half way line as a starting point.

No data to back that up but that's how it seemed to me. That would obviously negated a lot of the issues we have if the "wide" midfielders are narrow.

Whereas if the full backs are starting much deeper then the lack of anyone in front of them in wide positions really does make the pitch very narrow.

August 24, 2015, 02:02:31 PM
Reply #529

ally2

I would agree with that. Our full backs are deeper than they used to be which is pretty dumb considering we always look to go wide when we attack anyway.

August 24, 2015, 02:03:52 PM
Reply #530

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Another point, with their front two players being very close on their map, it doesn't just mean that they were in good positions to link up with each other, it means that they were sharing the load of the touches in the crowded areas allowing each other to move around into space, cause confusion to the defence etc.

We've got Lukaku there and it must be so obvious to the defenders when we're going to play the ball into him. We know that he's not great when the game is like that.

His first touch is much better when he doesn't have time to think about everything to do with hold up play, whether that's simply running, or a turn or a flick type lay off.

That graphic suggests that the majority of times that he's got the ball he'd be under pressure when receiving the ball as there'd be no space, no distractions for their cbs and no team mates close by to help out.

Couple that with us clogging up the centre of the pitch and it's very easy to see why the passing becomes slow and laboured, there are no options to quickly spread the play or play through gaps, the striker becomes isolated so any direct football is wasted as you need higher numbers of players near the target.

August 24, 2015, 08:52:42 PM
Reply #531

bluenuck

Although I'd say over the past year it seems to me that our full backs' first touches in our moves are often much deeper than prior to 14/15 where they would often be around the half way line as a starting point.

No data to back that up but that's how it seemed to me. That would obviously negated a lot of the issues we have if the "wide" midfielders are narrow.

Whereas if the full backs are starting much deeper then the lack of anyone in front of them in wide positions really does make the pitch very narrow.

I'd agree with this. seems Coleman is having to beat a lot of defenders even before he gets to the halfway line. When as in 15/15 he was receiving the ball from a winger almost in the attacking third.