June 17, 2019, 04:42:42 PM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window 2016  (Read 250002 times)

January 23, 2016, 03:19:01 AM
Reply #1245

bacon sarnie

Would be nice to replace Naismith with someone, maybe on loan until Swiss Kid comes in.

And I would feel more confident with a Coleman backup in the run up as we really don't have any proper cover there apart from kids.

The rest can wait until the summer.

Never win anything with kids: Alan Hansen.

:whistle:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:19:46 AM by bacon sarnie »

January 23, 2016, 03:20:16 AM
Reply #1246

Bluedylan

You're really talking about Rom AND Kone getting injured in the last 15-16 matches of the season, AND the results making a material difference on our final position in the table.  As a gamble, those odds are very, very low.

Apart from maybe the early rounds of the FA Cup, Rom plays every minute of every game for us, no matter how many games we've got. It would be frankly amazing if he doesn't get an injury at some point (praying that he won't). So are you happy with Kone as the backup, because it will only take one twinge or one accident in training and that's where we'll be?

Say Rom is out for 2 months at the beginning of February for example. Are you happy for us to go and play the rest of the season (including away at Anfield, a possible cup final etc) with Kone?

I'm with pjk. The manager's job is to ask 'what if?' and to cover all possible eventualities within reason. If he doesn't go and get us another striker in the next week or so, then he's basically playing roulette with what's left of our season. It would be an appalling piece of decision making to just hope that Rom makes it through. And loads of people are pointing it out on here, so it's not like other people can't see it.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 23, 2016, 03:25:32 AM
Reply #1247

bacon sarnie

Apart from maybe the early rounds of the FA Cup, Rom plays every minute of every game for us, no matter how many games we've got. It would be frankly amazing if he doesn't get an injury at some point (praying that he won't). So are you happy with Kone as the backup, because it will only take one twinge or one accident in training and that's where we'll be?

Say Rom is out for 2 months at the beginning of February for example. Are you happy for us to go and play the rest of the season (including away at Anfield, a possible cup final etc) with Kone?

I'm with pjk. The manager's job is to ask 'what if?' and to cover all possible eventualities within reason. If he doesn't go and get us another striker in the next week or so, then he's basically playing roulette with what's left of our season. It would be an appalling piece of decision making to just hope that Rom makes it through. And loads of people are pointing it out on here, so it's not like other people can't see it.

That's why I thought he'd have a crack at bringing Charlie Austin in but maybe he did.

January 23, 2016, 03:25:51 AM
Reply #1248

Evertonian in NC

I don't think Kone will start anymore now that Kev is back in good graces and Pienaar is fit.  I would agree cover was essential if Kev had been sold or was still in the doghouse.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 23, 2016, 03:30:43 AM
Reply #1249

stirlingblue

I agree with your reasoning why we need a backup but I'm not sure who would come here who's both happy to be backup AND better than Kone.

January 23, 2016, 03:39:22 AM
Reply #1250

Bluedylan

I agree with your reasoning why we need a backup but I'm not sure who would come here who's both happy to be backup AND better than Kone.

Yeah that is the tough part.

I think three options could be:

a) a young hotshot striker type who accepts that he's still developing and that he's not better than Rom but can come in and make an impact.
b) an older 30ish year old striker who's not getting games somewhere, who has the quality and might fancy a loan for a few months.
or c) a player who plays striker but can also play in other forward positions so that if Rom is fit and firing, he still might have the chance to play in other positions.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 23, 2016, 03:54:38 AM
Reply #1251

Toddacelli

True. The knock on from this would also be that a lower finish n the league this season would make us less attractive to the type of players we want for next season - AND some of our current players could also be thinking "screw this - I'm off to play for Leicester in Europe or West Ham at the Olympic Stadium!"

Ok, shit examples - but you know what I mean!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 23, 2016, 04:13:21 AM
Reply #1252

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Id be willing to put a fiver on us signing a naisy replacement.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:13:35 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 23, 2016, 04:21:45 AM
Reply #1253

Toddacelli

Yeah I get that mate but nothing I have seen from Mirallas says he can do that job. It's why Shane Long isn't the worst shout ever. I think we will manage but it's a long season.

Shane Long has got redshite written all over him.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

January 23, 2016, 04:26:42 AM
Reply #1254

benny

NSNO Subscriber
Joey Barton can take him under his wing.

lolol lolol lolol lolol lolol

January 23, 2016, 07:16:36 AM
Reply #1255

Thomas

a) a young hotshot striker type who accepts that he's still developing and that he's not better than Rom but can come in and make an impact.
b) an older 30ish year old striker who's not getting games somewhere, who has the quality and might fancy a loan for a few months.
or c) a player who plays striker but can also play in other forward positions so that if Rom is fit and firing, he still might have the chance to play in other positions.

(Replying to B)
Someone like (maybe a bit hopeful but the right mould) Klaus Huntelaar?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:17:59 AM by Thomas »
Not at all interested in being popular

Very interested in saying/doing what's right for Everton FC.

We may agree/disagree but its all about opinions/debate and thats what makes football/supporting Everton amazing.

January 23, 2016, 07:55:12 AM
Reply #1256

Shogun

Administrator
Just break the bank for Luca Toni.
I never claimed to be a saint

January 23, 2016, 08:19:19 AM
Reply #1257

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Just break the bank for Luca Toni.

Why not someone slightly younger,like Father Romeo Sensini?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 23, 2016, 10:11:43 AM
Reply #1258

howard1334

Option A would be ideal obviously. Not sure who this hotshot striker would be, however. Maybe someone in the mold of Batshuayi when we were considering signing him a few years ago (too bad we missed that boat, as he seems to be developing well).

January 23, 2016, 04:48:40 PM
Reply #1259

Rhys

Mirallas up front is an option when games are stretched and when he has support. Starting up there regularly is different, he doesn't like hold up play. He isn't brave with his back to his goal, when a ball goes into his feet with a man in his back he normally tries a flick he isn't one to take a whack to win a foul for his team.

So asking him to play the lead front role on his own for a whole game with that mindset isn't a great option in my opinion the players wouldn't want to play it into him if he was losing it consistently or not trying to hold it and it would limit our play a lot.