November 21, 2019, 07:55:15 PM

Poll

As the gaffer

Yes
104 (61.9%)
No
64 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Author Topic: Koeman  (Read 135334 times)

June 06, 2016, 06:09:29 PM
Reply #15

Lxxx

Haha his approach to fitness really was a joke wasn't it. "no such thing as muscle injuries"

Remember we were all tugging ourselves silly over the fact he had a post-graduate diploma in physiotherapy and all the training was done 'with the ball'.

And then he told us Baines was going to be the new Lahm bossing games from midfield and we all did a collective wank.

June 06, 2016, 08:12:40 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

Although Katharina Liebherr may have a higher net worth than Moshiri it's almost entirely tied up in the businesses she inherited from her father. She's currently got loans to Southampton of about 33m, but it's safe to assume her liquid assets aren't close to Moshiri's, especially given he's a self-made serial investor.

We're splitting hairs here though really. She has a net worth of about 3bn and whilst the term 'billion' is thrown about willy nilly these days that is still ridiculous wealth. Now whether that is tied up in various businesses or not she has the potential, should she wish, to reapportion or liquidate some of the wealth in the portfolio and focus on developing Southampton Football Club. She hasn't so far and doesn't look like she will. Hence Koeman's head probably being turned by a guy who is looking to do just that with Everton.

June 07, 2016, 05:10:12 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

Lots of people getting their knickers in a twist with the whole 'bigger club' debate. It's irrelevant. Premier League football is now a global brand and you're now only as 'big' as how rich your owners are and your previous few seasons performances unfortunately.

Chelsea were a nothing club until 2003 when seemingly their 'new' history started and now they're included in discussions about European Super Leagues. At that time another 'big' club, Leeds United, were in the Premier League but were just about to implode and now they're a million miles away from the Champions League semi final nights they had under O'Leary.

Everton and Southampton both have billionaire owners and neither have troubled the silverware engravers for a long time. We're both in the same bracket now and it's only really die hard fans of either team who think their is any difference in the clubs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:11:23 PM by Lxxx »

June 07, 2016, 05:33:03 PM
Reply #18

Lxxx

It's easy to forget how big a deal Koeman is in world football. The guy was a legend internationally for both club and country and the knowledge he must have picked up along the way puts him in a different league to anything we've had previously. If Stones wants to learn anything in which to improve and build his career their wouldn't be many better mentors to choose.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:40:15 PM by Lxxx »

June 07, 2016, 06:04:35 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

Do you think that is part of the reason we want Koeman?  To help convince Stones to stay?  I know that won't be the sole reason, but perhaps the reason Moshiri wants him over Emery?

I think they probably had previous as it was an open secret he was in the thinking for Wenger's job when he goes, so Moshiri would probably have been party to those discussions as a shareholder and mate of Usmanov's.  I don't think the Stones angle is a consideration at all.

June 07, 2016, 09:23:54 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

It's only when you strip it down that you realise it's a pretty sizeable rebuilding process the new manager will have on. A load of experienced heads are out of contract, two of our most talented youngsters have expressed a desire to leave in the past 9 months and if they go what you are left with are experienced players heading towards the end of their career, a load of youngsters and a big pot of cash. Arguably there's only Coleman, McCarthy, Funes Mori and Mirallas who you would say were in or around their prime years. It might take the new man a few transfer windows to get the squad he wants.

June 09, 2016, 05:00:38 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

Yep.

I presume he will have some sort of Directory role here.

Apparently he is an Evertonian too.

Yes I heard that. Born in Liverpool and grew up an Evertonian and now CFO of the one of the worlds biggest companies. Not a bad guy to have as a non-exec director when you're looking at acquiring the finance for a new stadium.

June 09, 2016, 06:55:50 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

Exactly. Looks like Moshiri is getting a board together that, to put it simply, know exactly what they are doing

Exciting times.

The BP Arena. I could live with that.

June 09, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

'Logistical issues' doesn't really hold much water really. Not in the year 2016. There are either details still to be finalised or he's having a bit longer to have a think whilst covered in sun block under a parasol on a beach somewhere.
I accepted my old job while away on holiday. I just sent a legally binding e-mail which confirmed I was accepting the job based on the terms of the attached contract. Bingo. No signature needed.

June 13, 2016, 03:12:24 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

Today has to be the day. He's back off holiday, all tanned and handsome, he turns his printer on, fires up the laptop, gets out his best fountain pen....

June 13, 2016, 03:39:44 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

Just been sent this by my Saints supporting mate ( it's the Jack Schitt posts you need to read). It's a bit long but I don't know whether it's a typical, sore loser type post or if we should be genuinely worried?

http://sotonians.com/chat/saints-next-manager?p=8

Does have a ring of plausibility about it. Especially about him not being liked and not being arsed about the youth setup. My cousin is a Saints fan and lives down there and he mentioned something similar when we swapped texts about us nicking their manager. Apparently it's quite well known in the area he's not liked by his players. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:40:18 PM by Lxxx »

June 13, 2016, 03:50:49 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

We all know that he's fallen out with some players and that he's not gone overboard picking youth players.

Of course we do. However the whole charade is starting to wear a bit thin now. The delays, the holidays, the stories of squad unrest, the indications that he's an arrogant arsehole who doesn't take much interest in the youth setup...all from numerous sources. These may all be minor points, exaggerations and heresay but the gloss on his appointment, if and when it comes, is starting to wear off a little.

June 13, 2016, 05:26:42 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

He might have booked one of those space flights in which case they're quite expensive to just cancel and you ain't getting Wi-Fi up there, so there might be a plausible reason for his second holiday in quick succession and lack of a contract signature. .

June 14, 2016, 06:59:33 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

Be nice if it wasn't fake. Those first 5 games would be perfect.