May 27, 2019, 02:15:43 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 61081 times)

January 21, 2018, 09:36:14 PM
Reply #15

kramer0

Before I say what I'm going to say, this is not directed at you but is more of a criticism of what is prevailing point-of-view around the league, especially in the media.

There are not that many clubs who use DoF in PL, you need the full squad because of the quality of league and volume of fixtures.

The PL has disappeared so far up it's own asshole with the notion that it's special and that things that work abroad won't work here and that players who are "proven" in the league have special value.

With few exceptions, all of whom are members in what has become a clear "top 6", PL teams are fucking lazy. They make the same lazy managerial appointments, spend all their money on the same lazy player types, and justify it all by saying that other things just won't work in the PL. In reality, they're just afraid to try some different, which I find amusing because they have no shame about wasting their TV money -- which makes them richer than pretty much every club in the world -- on players and managers that plainly aren't worth it. I'd rather us fail trying to be more efficient than fail doing the same old crap.

There's a real chance for us to get ahead of the rest of the league (outside the top 6) by doing some different and doing it effectively. But instead, we're tending towards the same old lazy bullshit. It's a ceiling we impose on ourselves.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:38:52 PM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2018, 07:12:14 AM
Reply #16

kramer0

Paul Mitchell was Head of Recruitment at Southampton from January 2012 (the window before they were promoted to the Premier League) to November 2014 (the year Koeman took over). Plenty of hits in that time (Mane, Tadic, Bertrand, Alderweireld, Forster, Wanyama, Lovren, Rodriguez, Clyne, Davis) but also some major misses (Gaston, Mayuka, Forren, Osvaldo, Gardos, Taider). Gaston, Gardos, Taider, and even Mayuka were probably worth the risk but Forren and Osvaldo (who might have been Pochettino's request) were disasters.

Moved from Southampton to Spurs to perform the same role but left last March. Made some decent moves (Alli, Son, Alderweireld again, Trippier, Wanyama again) but a fair number of poor ones (Janssen, Sissoko, N'Koudou, Wimmer, N'Jie), although, again, I'd argue that a few of those that didn't work out were worth the risk (Janssen, N'Jie, Wimmer) and Sissoko was reportedly Levy's decision, so he's absolved of that.

He's unattached, anyhow. If Premier League experience is so important to us, he might be someone worth considering. Walsh might be a good scout but he is not suited for the job he's doing now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:19:38 AM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2018, 09:18:02 PM
Reply #17

kramer0

1. The new manager

Fuck no. Not enough time in the day for that anymore. Managers need to focus on coaching the team. Plus, when the manager runs the show, the club loses everything when he goes.

We're still reeling from the transfer team Moyes built being torn down by Martinez/Reeves.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:28:13 PM by kramer0 »

January 24, 2018, 12:07:15 AM
Reply #18

kramer0

always and every time for me....... (1) football has survived without these people for over 100 years.....
(2) some smart ass brings one in and "its the way forward..." yet no one knows exactly what they do...... (3) what's the selection criteria when appointing one...anyone know?

(1) It's not about football surviving; that's not a problem. It's about Everton surviving. Teams with dedicated, long-term recruitment experts will leave us in the dust if we keep letting managers control it.

(2) Only because we've done it badly. And no one would describe Moshiri as a "smart ass." He's more of an outright lunatic, if anything.

(3) Organizing a scouting network, identifying targets to fit the team's style of play, negotiating transfers, identifying managers that fit the club's preferred style of play, etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:08:25 AM by kramer0 »

February 07, 2018, 07:17:23 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

Leipzig hired Paul Mitchell?

:-(

February 17, 2018, 10:43:35 PM
Reply #20

kramer0

Why are we still making excuses for this guy?

He spent a lot of money on players that don't belong on the pitch together and with the exception of Giroud, most of those "what ifs” were reaches for where we are in the pecking order of European football (and we wasted plenty of time pursuing them). His job is to identify realistic targets that fit the way we want to play and he isn't doing that (I don't think he, or anyone at the club, even has a style in mind). Not to mention that our old squad has stayed old and we're going to have to replace a bunch of his signings in a year or two.

We can and should do better for such an important role at the club. Get rid.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:45:01 PM by kramer0 »

February 26, 2018, 10:37:27 PM
Reply #21

kramer0

Definitely the least likeable/relatable squad for a good while isn't it?

Yep. I hate this squad. It's a chore to watch them. Plus most of the players getting on the pitch are in their late prime (or post prime) years and won't be getting any better, so there's no hope either.

Whatever "value" the squad still has (I'm skeptical that we'd be able to sell of most of them for fair market value given the wages they're on) and however "good" the players are taken in isolation, the people who've bought most of these players have sucked all of the fun out of watching Everton. The fact that Davies, who's been here since he was eleven, is the only first team regular that I actively enjoy watching says it all.

As much as I think we could use a little calm behind the scenes, I'd be happy if we completely torched the backroom set-up and started fresh.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:20:48 AM by kramer0 »

March 14, 2018, 01:54:15 AM
Reply #22

kramer0

Talk about putting your faith in the wrong people.

We're going nowhere as long as this guy has Moshiri's ear.

March 16, 2018, 03:18:09 AM
Reply #23

kramer0

I'll have a meltdown if we don't sign a left back this summer.

It was dumb enough not to sign one the last two windows.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:24:32 AM by kramer0 »