June 25, 2019, 03:24:47 PM

Poll

Sign his new contract

Yes.
111 (24.1%)
No.
80 (17.4%)
Will wait to see what happens with the new management position.
89 (19.3%)
He's already on his bike and he's off.
181 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 461

Author Topic: Ross Barkley. Will he, or won't he?  (Read 48113 times)

October 24, 2017, 07:34:11 PM
Read 48113 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I hope so, but I doubt it.

More of a chance now than before though.

We’d have to pay him well over the top in terms of wages and hope we can sign a really inspirational manager.

October 27, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Reply #1

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
A few clues
1/ would not sign a new 100,000 a week contract
2/ went to Chelsea for a medical
3/ says he wanted to go to Spurs
and 4/ Most importantly has shown no sign since Koeman went that he feels any different
I am quite happy he is on his bike!

1-3 happened on Koeman's watch. Maybe it was a coincidence and he was just done.

However, let's face it from Day 1 pretty much he was Koeman's whipping boy and the one that was dropped and/or chewed out in the media. Koeman tried to get in Sigurdsson in pretty much every transfer window before this one so maybe he knew he was for the chop as soon as his replacement came in and started making plans.

Regarding 4, he's not said anything before or after in public so nothing has really changed there. Personally I don't mind that, I'd rather he dealt with the club directly than via Twitter.

November 15, 2017, 05:44:12 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It is ludicrous to think that Barkley would get in any of the current top 4 or 5 teams, so unless he regards sitting on their bench as career progression it is hard to see what he can gain by leaving, except maybe a signing on fee. He might even be thinking longer term by hoping he could eventually improve to the required level to make their first team and earn medals which he will probably never get at Everton.

Working with a coach like Pochettino who might help him progress like the other players under his guidance? That's just for starters.

After working under Koeman and Martinez (polar opposites of each other in a way, both ultimately unsuccessful) I could see the temptation.

Sissoko is even getting CL game time.

November 15, 2017, 07:44:50 PM
Reply #3

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I struggle with this constant 'if Sissoko can do it anyone can' mentality, the bloke has 50+ caps for France, and he hasnt just accumulated these whilst working under 'God', aka Pochettino. Hes played at every level for his national team, he is a lot better than people give him credit for and he'd have walked straight into our team back then, and now. Barkley struggles to get into one of the worst England squads in decades and has been overlooked by more than 1 manager.

Sissoko is just hit and miss, some would say like Barkley was the only correlation.

Bigger point is you could see the attraction of working under Pochettino at the moment, as well as the opportunity to be at a club who are playing CL football.

December 03, 2017, 07:43:56 PM
Reply #4

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Moving to Spurs is not necessarily a slam dunk it was even 6 months ago. No certainty they’ll make the CL this year, Dele Alli trying to get his super agent deal last I heard (so likely angling for a move down the line), plus others like Alderweireld likely going in the summer. Who knows about Pochettino either.

Spurs are on a bit of a knife edge, they might win something and keep their upward trajectory. On the other side I could see a mini-implosion where they lose a bunch of players and have a few (prime Barkley years) in the wilderness.

December 07, 2017, 08:55:24 PM
Reply #5

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Mad how some people are back on the Moshiri wagon.

2 years ago we had at least 3 champions league level assets on the pitch... we’ve gone backwards, fast.

In fairness, it's not unusual for non-CL teams to be able to hold onto better players. When we missed out on the CL under Martinez, then weren't able to mount a challenge again we were always on borrowed time with certain players.

As for Moshiri, I think it's a bit hard to call it either way right now. If you wanted to be kinder you could say some of this was teething/inexperience issues. While I appreciate our wage bill has increased, I am a bit skeptical of long term significant change unless he's really willing to spend to a higher level. Or at least get a structure (and sporting director) in place where we can identify talent and bring it in better than we're currently doing.

December 12, 2017, 03:12:00 AM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Just some lad to be fair and it was a few days ago but stumbled across it. I just get a bad feeling from the whole thing.

Just don't see that happening. Surely it'd be in his interests to get match fit again. We haven't even seen him back in training yet have we? He wasn't refusing to train before the injury, as that is when it happened.

Plus he has like no time left no his contract, it's not like we have much say in the matter whether he goes so refusing to play doesn't really help him all that much surely? Unless he thinks this would force our hand in January...but again it's not like the club weren't willing to sell already.

December 12, 2017, 04:00:35 AM
Reply #7

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
There was a picture of him in his training gear jogging at FF recently, nobody else with him though. I don't think he's going to play for us again.

I'd not be surprised if he doesn't play again for us. I would expect to see him back in training though. I'm not trying to make excuses as I have nothing to base this on, maybe he is being excluded due to his own actions, I just don't think it makes sense to either party. Plus, it was only a few weeks ago Unsworth was saying he'd hope he'd be back fit and would think about signing...so I don't think from the club's perspective bridges have been burnt entirely. Unless something dramatic has happened in recent weeks.

December 12, 2017, 04:05:37 AM
Reply #8

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
This situation is so strange.

I've never known a hamstring injury to last this long, so obviously there's some shenanigans going on.

But at the same time I can't fathom how someone can grow up a massive evertonian and fall out of love with Everton, especially when we are his exact level at the moment and pay massive wages.

How long has he been out for though since the second injury in training? It feels like a while but I thought as it was a bad one so they were saying it'd be around this timeframe before he came back.

I did think we'd see him returning to training soon, but there has been a total lack of information so who knows.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:11:34 AM by blueToffee »

December 12, 2017, 08:02:43 AM
Reply #9

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I think him doing a u-turn on the Chelsea move a potentially costing the club £35m is a seriously fucking burnt bridge.

Yet they'd still sign him up tomorrow if they thought they could as it'd make fiscal sense to do so.

January 05, 2018, 02:45:33 AM
Reply #10

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

Thing is though look at the stick Rooney took, but at least he was straight with the club and the fans and had the decency to put a transfer request in. Barkley for me has treated the club and the fans with utter contempt.

Come on, Rooney did that to force the move. There was no virtue there. He wanted to move, and by doing that he got the move and he didn't give a crap about the club or fans either at that point. He simply was looking after his own career, which is however understandable if hard to accept as a fan. Barkley has been as straight with the club too, clearly the club knows he wants to leave. Fans were left in the dark by both the club and Barkley, however when it comes to transfers it shouldn't be the case that we're saying we're going to sell as that puts the club in a poor negotiating position...although there is no getting away from that now.

January 05, 2018, 04:50:10 AM
Reply #11

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/949045491651809280

Going to be interesting. I mean, I get why as a young player you'd want to play under Pochettino, but they're no sure thing. Big players could definitely leave if they miss out on CL whereas you know Chelsea are pretty much always in the mix.

January 05, 2018, 08:28:24 AM
Reply #12

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Bid is believed to be 15 million

Yeah, I doubt it'd be a lot more than that given the offer in the summer and he had the injury which has done nothing to improve his value.

Looks like we might be in for N'Zonzi soon.

January 05, 2018, 11:03:42 PM
Reply #13

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Done deal, he's gone to Chelsea.

We can certainly sell a player quickly enough when we want to.

January 06, 2018, 01:05:50 AM
Reply #14

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I just don’t get it what’s the loss he had 1 good half against Newcastle the rest was slow in the head please tell me what I missed and by the way I’ve watched us since the early 80s

He's terrible, ergo he got a move to Chelsea. The PL Champions.

Let it go lads he’s a Fukin divie who had the world and blew it melt

See the above.

------------------------

As an aside, I've no problem with people not liking him as a player, but the hyperbole is a bit silly.