November 17, 2019, 05:45:55 AM

Author Topic: January Targets  (Read 104249 times)

December 02, 2017, 07:02:39 PM
Read 104249 times

Mayor Farnum

Lamine Kone. I think Sam signed him for Sunderland originally.
Something clever written by someone else.

December 02, 2017, 08:21:41 PM
Reply #1

Mayor Farnum

I don't think we need to limit ourselves to one striker.

December 03, 2017, 01:19:37 AM
Reply #2

Mayor Farnum

For what it's worth, the Mail are running with a £25m bid for Steven N'Zonzi...

Good player, and available by all reports, but literally not a priority now.

Loves a tall boy Sam.

December 03, 2017, 08:30:38 PM
Reply #3

Mayor Farnum

We've just played what will probably be our two easiest league games of the season. We will need reinforcements in January and one is likely to be a striker with a physical presence.

December 05, 2017, 09:42:17 PM
Reply #4

Mayor Farnum

Giroud has apparently been told by Deschamps that he needs to be playing regularly to stand any chance of getting into the French World Cup squad.

I'd like to see us move on from Giroud now. He's turned us down once and it's not as if he's head and shoulders above what we can attract. 

December 05, 2017, 10:17:36 PM
Reply #5

Mayor Farnum

I'm sure he wouldn't want to come for any longer than until the end of the season and depending on how Sam wants to set us up that would work for us too.

How would that work? Would we pay a fee or would it be a loan?

December 06, 2017, 06:47:12 PM
Reply #6

Mayor Farnum

You'd have to wonder how committed Giroud would be playing with one eye on the world cup and knowing he could walk in the summer. Bad deal for us.

December 20, 2017, 03:37:05 AM
Reply #7

Mayor Farnum

Seven points off sixth now. I've no problem with a short term solution to try and salvage something from this season.

December 25, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
Reply #8

Mayor Farnum

I'm sure he'll follow the well trodden path of great Turkish players in the Prem, like errmmm Emre, and Tugay!!

(Disclaimer: I know zero about him - anyone actually seen him play?)

Hakan Suker.

December 25, 2017, 04:32:45 PM
Reply #9

Mayor Farnum

18m in this age of ridiculous transfer fees and the fact it's Brighton he's going to suggests that no-one sets any store by the Scottish Premier League anymore.
I can't even remember the last striker from Scotland that has even held his own in the EPL.

December 25, 2017, 06:17:34 PM
Reply #10

Mayor Farnum

Chris McLaughlin

Verified account
@BBCchrismclaug
 10m10 minutes ago
More
#Celtic source tells me suggestion club has accepted £18m bid for Dembele is “nonsense.”

I think Celtic will turn down the offer just to save face. Accepting the football equivalent of a toffee apple and a wank for your star player does not suggest they are the great club certain types would like to have you believe.

January 02, 2018, 02:33:37 AM
Reply #11

Mayor Farnum

He's just decent though. He's functional with the odd fantastic strike. We don't have any real control, don't have pace, don't have movement, don't have any dribblers apart from Bolasie. Sigurdsson would be good if everything else was great. When we are asking him to make the play though he's well short.

I genuinely can't believe the mess we made of the transfer window. Surely has to be the worst 1 in premier league history. Sides have signed shite players before but we didny even manage to get players for the right positions

Sigurdsson will be better when the opposition have more to worry about. With sustained pressure on the ball in the final third and the opposition stretched Sisurdsson's ability to find a pass will be a real weapon.

January 02, 2018, 02:46:29 AM
Reply #12

Mayor Farnum

Were buying in the most uneconomical part of the market. We can't afford proven quality and have no real pull for footballing reasons.
We have to buy from the tier of players who are inconsistent but their fees and wages are set on their rare good days. We get lucky once in a while but mostly we get three average years from a player, pay him a fortune and never recoup a transfer fee.
We need to sustain Premier League football to keep operating in such a way or ditch the policy sooner than Leeds did before things turned really nasty.

January 02, 2018, 02:54:46 AM
Reply #13

Mayor Farnum

Think we hoped we'd be clever with the money. Find a couple of 20-30m players who go on become worth much more than that. I guess like Liverpool have done with their forwards. Instead we went down the proven route with Sigurdsson. The problem is you pay a premium from premier league proven and anyone who's proven great doesn't want to play here.

It's actually painful watching us. It's not down to Allardyce either. What team has no quality at full back, wings and upfront?

Fucking 1 aging left back in the entire squad. Only remotely proven right back out for a year. Only proven attacking winger out for a year. No striker any top flight quality. We should have kept Valencia who web for next to nowt. It's like some fucking drunk made all our recruitment decisions

This season is a write off now. To be a functioning team. We need at least 4 in this window and it won't happen. Waste of a year

Our signings from abroad recently would suggest it's worth paying the Premier League premium.

January 02, 2018, 02:57:02 AM
Reply #14

Mayor Farnum

It is possible though, Liverpool got Salah for 35, coutinho for 11, and Mane and Friminio all for within that bracket

I doubt we would get those four at the stage of their careers that Liverpool got them. We would need to buy them at least one move previously. And again at that stage your going to get more duds than successes.