December 08, 2019, 06:43:40 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 52731 times)

April 16, 2018, 01:20:31 AM
Reply #240

Shogun

Administrator
Got really high hopes for this fella.

Different manager next season you would hope he would flourish.

Shows the importance of getting a manager who'll develop young players.

Lookman, Holgate, Davies, Dowell and DCL could fill a lot of holes in our side next season.

April 16, 2018, 01:31:22 AM
Reply #241

bigl1cks

Lookman, Holgate, Davies, Dowell and DCL could fill a lot of holes in our side next season.

Has the ring of a championship team to me.
anything but long ball!

April 16, 2018, 01:46:49 AM
Reply #242

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

I'd rather we were in the position to send half of those on loan. Highly unlikely, but I don't think many of those are players we should be relying on IF our aim is being competitive further up the league.

April 16, 2018, 01:54:12 AM
Reply #243

Shogun

Administrator
Has the ring of a championship team to me.

You'd probably have said the same about Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Neville in 92.

I'd rather we were in the position to send half of those on loan. Highly unlikely, but I don't think many of those are players we should be relying on IF our aim is being competitive further up the league.

Genuinely don't think any of those I listed need to go out on loan.

They've all played plenty of game now whether it's here or on loan and we simply don't have a squad full of talent that none of them will get a chance at Everton.

April 16, 2018, 02:06:11 AM
Reply #244

Paddockoldie

Give me young and hungry over experienced and over paid any day.

April 16, 2018, 02:12:03 AM
Reply #245

Ross

Yeah but doing the football thing in a top division in a foreign country for a progressive team is no substitute for minutes on the pitch at a lower league club in this country etc etc

...erm or something like that.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 16, 2018, 02:13:04 AM
Reply #246

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
You'd probably have said the same about Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Neville in 92.

Genuinely don't think any of those I listed need to go out on loan.

They've all played plenty of game now whether it's here or on loan and we simply don't have a squad full of talent that none of them will get a chance at Everton.

I would think with no Europe, and hopefully some key summer signings some of those might find it harder to get regular full games. At their age, they should be getting as much time as possible.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I think DCL should go out on loan. I think we need a stronger goal threat from a secondary striker than he's currently (reliably) capable of giving us.

April 16, 2018, 02:24:36 AM
Reply #247

Ross

I would think with no Europe, and hopefully some key summer signings some of those might find it harder to get regular full games. At their age, they should be getting as much time as possible.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I think DCL should go out on loan. I think we need a stronger goal threat from a secondary striker than he's currently (reliably) capable of giving us.

Think people have become obsessed with sending our young players out on loan myself.

There’s only one club who’s really interested in developing them to the full and that’s us and keeping them here managing them properly is our best way forward, we’ve sent to many young prospects out to sit on other teams bench’s the last 5-10 years.

Obviously they all won’t make it and the likes of Pennington or Walsh are just putting themselves in the shop window but somebody like DCL, Holgate or Davies who’ve all played significant roles for us at times need patience here and our backing they’re all talented and have time on their hands it’s not a sink or swim time for any of them.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 16, 2018, 02:26:44 AM
Reply #248

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
The fact of the matter is that as long as Lookman is back with us next season and our disgrace of a manager has been sent packing, then loaning him out to a team like Leipzig will hopefully have been a blessing in disguise.  As much as he should have got game time here, the chances are that he wouldn't and that we actually end up with an improved player next season.

April 16, 2018, 02:31:54 AM
Reply #249

Mayor Farnum

Doubt any of them would be considered for a start at the likes of Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester.

As for the Giggs, Scholes. Neville argument they did have some rather impressive back up from the likes of Schmichel, Pallister, Bruce, Hughes and Keane.
Something clever written by someone else.

April 16, 2018, 02:41:37 AM
Reply #250

Shogun

Administrator
Doubt any of them would be considered for a start at the likes of Spurs, Arsenal or even Leicester.

As for the Giggs, Scholes. Neville argument they did have some rather impressive back up from the likes of Schmichel, Pallister, Bruce, Hughes and Keane.

We've got Rooney, Walcott, Jagielka, Baines, Coleman... Not of the standard you've mentioned but more than enough experience to be able to integrate these younger players in the side.

April 16, 2018, 02:43:32 AM
Reply #251

Mayor Farnum

We've got Rooney, Walcott, Jagielka, Baines, Coleman... Not of the standard you've mentioned but more than enough experience to be able to integrate these younger players in the side.

You're right. Not remotely of the same standard. Even when they were at their peak.
Something clever written by someone else.

April 16, 2018, 02:56:26 AM
Reply #252

Shogun

Administrator
You're right. Not remotely of the same standard. Even when they were at their peak.

Well great then Mayor Farnum! So despite your in-depth assessment based on limited viewing in Everton sides managed by terrible managers, Let's bum them off on loan and buy more Schneiderlins and finish 7th at best for the next ten years because you don't rate them on limited viewing.

Afterall, there's no way anyone above the age of 16 can develop into a good player.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:00:19 AM by Shogun »

April 16, 2018, 03:04:54 AM
Reply #253

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You'd probably have said the same about Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Neville in 1992
Yes but only Giggs was playing in 1992.

Beckham was still to go on loan to PNE etc ;)

If a new manager gives them more game time then fair enough but Dowell isn’t playing every week in the Championship so it’s a stretch to think he’d get suitable minutes here next season when Sigurdsson is pretty much the same player but with better off the ball attributes.

A lot will depend on whether we have a systems manager (ie someone who prioritises how theY want to play over what players they have available) or not, as they are more likely to pick a youngster as they may not have a suitable experienced player available.

April 16, 2018, 03:08:12 AM
Reply #254

Shogun

Administrator
Yes but only Giggs was playing in 1992.

Beckham was still to go on loan to PNE etc ;)

If a new manager gives them more game time then fair enough but Dowell isn’t playing every week in the Championship so it’s a stretch to think he’d get suitable minutes here next season when Sigurdsson is pretty much the same player but with better off the ball attributes.

A lot will depend on whether we have a systems manager (ie someone who prioritises how theY want to play over what players they have available) or not, as they are more likely to pick a youngster as they may not have a suitable experienced player available.

I know he's lost his place recently but Dowell has played a lot this season and Forest haven't improved since Karanka changed the side.

I'm not saying all these are good enough but there's no other Premier League side with that quantity of young talent at their club on the periphery of the first team.

Edit: and a lack of progression under a manager like Sam Allardyce doesn't mean they should be judged on this season.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:09:27 AM by Shogun »