October 14, 2019, 12:45:21 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 121116 times)

October 24, 2018, 02:46:55 PM
Reply #15

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I don't see that as an issue. I don't want the lad who's adapted to a shit playing style unless he's young and we have time to re-teach him.

The players we sign should match the way we want to play (or we need have time to mold them into what we want them to be).

But you're not the sole arbiter if what good football is.

There are many people who love nothing more than a winger skinning a man, getting to the line, whipping it in and some hero of a centre forward thundering it in.

Jesus, we're Everton. That kind of goal is deep-rooted into our DNA. It's amongst the reasons our number 9s have been so revered.

October 24, 2018, 04:18:45 PM
Reply #16

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Give me a big number 9 making Rio Ferdinand look like a frightened little kid > a 30 yard screamer any day of the week

Had a lump in my throat that game.

November 04, 2018, 05:57:52 PM
Reply #17

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Getting a bit carried away lads. That's very easy to do, unmarked.

This has confused me. Did you think that clip that has been posted was to highlight something good he did? (In which case, you've missed the point, play it with sound on).

Or are you talking about the stats posted about him?
In which case yeah, he'll have more difficult games than yesterday.

November 04, 2018, 06:02:05 PM
Reply #18

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Now I'm doubly confused.
I've just had to reread everything to see what everybody said.

I've just seen that you liked Sam's comment though, that's what I missed.

November 05, 2018, 08:11:26 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Would be interested to see where he ends up on this, style wise.

https://twitter.com/ashwinraman_/status/1058728566777696256?s=21

Matic territory at the minute i reckon.
Once he is completely integrated and firing on all barrels, the moving up to Xhaka positioning.

Whether that's sufficient will be down to the system i suppose. Because i suspect that's the highest levels of output we'll see from him.

November 05, 2018, 08:39:53 PM
Reply #20

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yes thatís about where Iíve got him.

Anything like xhaka levels would be superb, and if he stayed where he is now it would be good but not ideal considering heís supposed to be our progressive ball passer.

Exactly.
If this was 6 years ago, it would be more than enough. Back when overlapping fullbacks were the be-all & end-all of attacking play, you could have a central mid who took a ball, moved it forward 10 yards and dish out a side-ways pass all day long.
That's not today though and there needs to be much more vertical movement from this position.

If he can create 1 direct chance per game and feed players who then immediately create a chance a few times a game though, then i'd probably be happy with that for a year or 2.
It would, at least, stop being a crisis position for us. We could then start organically upgrading, as opposed to the "we have zero option except to buy a player for X position immediately" phase we've been in for to long.

Got to give Silva/Brands an enormous amount of credit for the last window. Bernard being useful enough to free up Richarlison to relieve the pressure on Tosun & Zouma/Mina/Digne means we no longer have any position where we cringe when we think about our options.

November 05, 2018, 09:43:43 PM
Reply #21

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah compared to last year it is night and day. Cuco Martina like. 5 at the back v Stoke ffs.

Yeah think Iíd be happy with Gomes if he does that. Heís have to triple his current chance creation but why not.

Wouldnít necessarily spend big money on him however.

I think "releasing" players is going to be more his role. Players who then create a chance.
Take a ball, drift between the 2 block-lines and feed Walcott/Bernard/Sigurdsson/Lookman.
Once or twice a match feed a ball through to the feet of somebody in the box.

He has a "ceiling" though. I think some of the recent discussions about him have centered around the people thinking he doesn't have one feeling that those of us who thinks he does are saying he is rubbish.

November 30, 2018, 03:28:16 PM
Reply #22

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He's the guy who will set up the assist.
I'm happy with that as long as 2 or more of the 4 in front of him are on form.

November 30, 2018, 04:01:40 PM
Reply #23

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
A nice ball around the corner but it looks like the the defender got in front of the attacker (richarlison?).

So he set up the...incomplete pass that set up the missed shot that rebounded for a finish.

Not to you know, pick hairs because it was a nice idea first time around the corner. Just not strictly true I donít think.

I'm not commenting on 1 pass of 1 game. I'm talking about what i foresee his role to be.
Receive it off Gana.
Push forward 10/a dozen yards.
Lay it off to somebody to try and unpick the lock.

Criminally underrated position and role.
don't want to get anywhere near a stats argument again - but i've mentioned to you in the past i'm all for them for judging strikers, keepers and the ability to differentiate between hot-form/luck & actual class.
But roles like this are categorically not something that can be measured.

Unless, like in the NFL, there is a "rushing" stat. Which measures how far somebody travels with the ball.

November 30, 2018, 04:21:05 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
yeah, deffo just a difference of opinion we can glide over that last bit.

I do think we love him so much because he is so much better at this deep progression (cheers for pointing me towards that) than anything we've had there for a while.
I'm happy with 'above average' there for the time being due to that.

It's unreal how many of our "danger" positions have been filled in by solid (or really good) options.
Left back, central defence, central midfield and attacking width. All rectified in one window.
Sort out up-top and add a touch of depth next year. Then we can look around and upgrade these 'better than average' options.

December 05, 2018, 04:45:14 PM
Reply #25

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
yeah, the figures at the moment don't deter from Gomes, it just shows that Davies has been better than a lot of swivel-eyed loons think.

December 07, 2018, 03:02:21 PM
Reply #26

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think Jan is going to be quite quiet you know.One or two out maybe.

If one of them are Tosun, then i think we'd be bringing someone in.

March 21, 2019, 05:36:19 PM
Reply #27

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, absolutely.

Although, i *do* like stats and have just read through the Keane ones you posted.
I'm just very dubious that any stats are any more than a small part of the decision when it comes to bringing players in for reasons exactly like this.

I think that they should play a bigger part in showing a player the door though. Because whilst those other variables that can't be measured exist, i admit they are only temporary and a season worth of metrics is enough to know if a player is going to gel into your system.

March 21, 2019, 06:08:12 PM
Reply #28

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Haha, i thought we were arguing about something till your edit.

For what it's worth, they have gone up in my estimation this season and i think there are certain decisions made where they are utterly indespensable. To the point where they are amongst the first things i check when linked to a player now.
I still haven't moved from my rigid "Football isn't Baseball" stance though.

June 19, 2019, 09:44:04 PM
Reply #29

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Vlasic out Gomes in, minimal spend so far this summer but weíve got the midfield sorted.

We're so, so far from having the midfield sorted?

Vlasic wasn't here last year and Gomes was. So, today, we are in exactly the same place as we were throughout last year.
And last year the midfield was a major problem against any team who planned on sitting deep against us.

Which will be a lot of them next year, looking around.