May 19, 2019, 09:26:17 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 86108 times)

April 16, 2019, 04:50:06 PM
Reply #1785

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Excellent thread on our set up last few games

https://twitter.com/TheHaIfSpace/status/1113683018475089921?s=19

Excellent thread on how we are compared to the rest of the league on some on the ball metrics

https://twitter.com/elpivoteftbl/status/1117770594278412289?s=19

9th for key passes, 9th for big chances, gylfi 29th out cm am and dms for passes into the box.

Creativity still a huge, glaring issue, that an expensive new striker won't fix.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 16, 2019, 06:11:48 PM
Reply #1786

plumber

Excellent thread on how we are compared to the rest of the league on some on the ball metrics

9th for key passes, 9th for big chances, gylfi 29th out cm am and dms for passes into the box.

Creativity still a huge, glaring issue, that an expensive new striker won't fix.

The question is, is it because of the players or Silva's philosophy (or combination of both). He's been over reliant on crosses all his career, at least in England.

April 16, 2019, 06:28:16 PM
Reply #1787

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The question is, is it because of the players or Silva's philosophy (or combination of both). He's been over reliant on crosses all his career, at least in England.

Both id say yeah
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 16, 2019, 07:03:02 PM
Reply #1788

stirlingblue

So now we’ve had a few days to calm down, what’s the consensus on the Fulham game?

Did Silva get something wrong tactically or is that one on the players for being complacent?

April 16, 2019, 07:44:32 PM
Reply #1789

gizzblue

So now we’ve had a few days to calm down, what’s the consensus on the Fulham game?

Did Silva get something wrong tactically or is that one on the players for being complacent?

In all honesty think our team expected them to roll over ...couple that with a slow response from Silva to change it up ....was a monkey fucking a football all round .
Born not made a blue .

April 16, 2019, 09:08:06 PM
Reply #1790

sam of the south

Crikey, reading all of that thread, we are many shades of below average
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 16, 2019, 10:33:32 PM
Reply #1791

bluenuck

I agree with you.

But for arguments sake. What happens when Gylfi is standing 25 yards from goal with the ball and he looks up and sees his players acting like statues? How’s he supposed to put a pass into the box?

April 16, 2019, 11:09:02 PM
Reply #1792

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with you.

But for arguments sake. What happens when Gylfi is standing 25 yards from goal with the ball and he looks up and sees his players acting like statues? How’s he supposed to put a pass into the box?

I know what you mean and probably around better players you get a boost to your levels but if he's never been a prolific player of this type beyond his own end product backed up by set pieces then what does that mean for him as a player rather than those around him.

It's not that we are trying to reach people in the box, across the whole team we are not making those passes enough compared to the rest of the league.

April 16, 2019, 11:15:44 PM
Reply #1793

gizzblue

I know what you mean and probably around better players you get a boost to your levels but if he's never been a prolific player of this type beyond his own end product backed up by set pieces then what does that mean for him as a player rather than those around him.

It's not that we are trying to reach people in the box, across the whole team we are not making those passes enough compared to the rest of the league.

I get what your saying here brap .. but everyonw and his dog can see were streets ahead of our creating last year ...hopefully it's on an upward curve ...especially if you look at the Arsenal ,West ham games ..wasteful deffo but creating more easily.
Born not made a blue .

April 17, 2019, 12:34:34 AM
Reply #1794

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I get what your saying here brap .. but everyonw and his dog can see were streets ahead of our creating last year ...hopefully it's on an upward curve ...especially if you look at the Arsenal ,West ham games ..wasteful deffo but creating more easily.

Hopefully yeah, especially the odd little bits of good form we've had, we've been good at times I think.

The above link just basically says, at times we've been good but ultimately we've got some big issues and here's what some of them look like.

April 22, 2019, 04:29:35 AM
Reply #1795

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A little thing I noticed about the Digne goal.

When we were setting up for the corner he jogged towards the touchline to get a drink.

I noticed this because I was screaming for him to get on the edge of the box as a lot of our corners were falling towards that edge of the box in the second phase.

He slowly jogged towards the edge of the box, the United players were all set in their positions so didn’t pick him up and bang, hits a great goal.

I thought maybe he just really wanted a drink but he did the exact same thing on our next corner.

Again, maybe he was just really thirsty because of the heat, but I think it’s an example of silva and the little details he goes into.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 22, 2019, 07:12:38 AM
Reply #1796

Andy88

Dignes goal was from an inswinging corner as well, we usually take out swinging corners with Digne from the left and Sig on the right but changed in the second half. Must have been something Silva wanted to change at half time, another small detail that got us a goal.

Sig nearly scored directly from one a few minutes later as well so silva must have seen something in the first half that made him want to put the ball straight on top of De Gea.

He's definitely shown in the last few months he's a good manager, turned round a poor run of form, seems to have sorted the set piece issue, solid defensively while threatening going forward and the players all look like they enjoy playing for him. The impressive thing about the clean sheets lately is not that we haven't conceded but we have hardly given anyone a chance to score!

April 24, 2019, 01:58:25 PM
Reply #1797

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Good article on our tactics v Big 6 recently, improved press, and sticky issues against teams where we have the ball :

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/secret-evertons-new-found-success-16170267

April 26, 2019, 11:04:16 PM
Reply #1798

D15TIN

Big test tomorrow, go there and win - put right that Fulham result

April 27, 2019, 04:06:41 PM
Reply #1799

everton15

Listening to radio phone ins last couple of weeks 606/talksport -  presenters were asking what has happened at everton why are we winning more games..........they could not come up with an answer
I thinks its fairly obvious surely - we get the ball up to the last third very quickly now - pickford now nine times out of ten will go more direct - passes the ball to sig/ dcl straightaway - rather than pass the ball sideways from the back
its a more direct way of playing and gets results and we are creating chances immediately rather than offering a slow build up from the back and petering out to nothing or having to start again
quicker pace and more movement in last third of the pitch......would you agree?