October 22, 2019, 09:01:32 AM

Author Topic: EPL's biggest waste of money  (Read 4842 times)

January 17, 2010, 03:07:50 AM
Read 4842 times

Gash

Global Moderator
In light of Robinhio being a subbed sub today. Who is your premier league biggest waste of money?

For me it has to be the man above. 32m for nothing, he never even looks interested, and never has, and must surely be on his way out?

There's been a few, Veron? Schevchenko? I always thought at least Schevchenko tried and looked interested.

So, who is yours?

January 17, 2010, 03:14:06 AM
Reply #1

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Can't really look past Robinho either.  He obviously has never wanted to be there, and more fool City for being stupid enough to bring him in to try and prove that they're competing for the world's best players.

Veron was perhaps the biggest dissapointment for me, because he was an excellent player who should have been great here but for whatever reason it didn't work.  Shevchenko is similar I suppose although for me he is still one of the best strikers of the last 15 years or so - he failed here but outside of that he was an awesome player at the top level.

I think in some ways you could say that Forlan is up there, in terms of the fact that he is a brilliant striker who didn't fulfill his potential in England.

January 17, 2010, 03:16:36 AM
Reply #2

Purple Aki

January 17, 2010, 03:19:25 AM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator
I think Veron or Anelka hold the record for the most total transfer fees paid for one player. Something like £80m in fees. At least Anelka is finally fulfilling the promise he showed at Arsenal.

Forgot Forlan, good shout.

January 17, 2010, 03:43:49 AM
Reply #4

Endless, Nameless

Has to be Shevchenko. At least City got one good season out of the lazy little Brazilian...
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

January 17, 2010, 04:27:55 AM
Reply #5

Билялетдинов

my manc mate at work is convinced it's berbatov.

January 17, 2010, 04:29:17 AM
Reply #6

Endless, Nameless

my manc mate at work is convinced it's berbatov.

He's not great, is he? Lazy as fuck as well. And next to Rooney of all people, he looks like he has boots of lead.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

January 17, 2010, 05:02:15 AM
Reply #7

cad

VDM. Don't much care what the others waste...
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

January 17, 2010, 08:44:27 AM
Reply #8

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Has to be Shevchenko. At least City got one good season out of the lazy little Brazilian...

This
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

January 17, 2010, 12:09:23 PM
Reply #9

Dr. Sponge

January 17, 2010, 06:11:15 PM
Reply #10

Dean0

January 17, 2010, 06:43:25 PM
Reply #11

toffee_scot

Shevchenko: He wasn't really a player that Mourinho wanted but Abramovich signed him anyway. He was already approaching 30 when Chelsea paid 30m for him which was absolutely ridiculous. He really struggled there and I can't remember him having one decent season and the only game I can remember where he got a heap of praise was against Wycombe - a League 2 club - in the Carling Cup semi-final. I'd say he was the biggest flop in Premiership history.

Robinho: He did have a decent season last season, I'm not sure whether Hughes asked for him or the Abu Dhabi owners offered him almost as a present after paying 33m for him. With his heavy pricetag and his bad attitude, I really don't know how City are going to offload him, or perhaps they hope that once the winter passes and the sun comes out, Robinho will hopefully shine.

January 17, 2010, 11:48:40 PM
Reply #12

.Rimbo.

For me, take your pick out of Berbatov and Shevchenko.

January 18, 2010, 02:00:35 AM
Reply #13

sharpattack

Shevchenko. How anyone could buy him after his pathetic display in the CL final against the shite is beyond me.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

January 18, 2010, 02:18:46 AM
Reply #14

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Shevchenko. How anyone could buy him after his pathetic display in the CL final against the shite is beyond me.

Probably because not everyone is a reactionary kneejerker who would judge a player on one performance, rather than taking in to account many years of excellent goalscoring and all-round play at a very high level.