October 22, 2019, 08:53:34 PM

Author Topic: Milan v Spurs  (Read 11983 times)

February 16, 2011, 02:23:29 PM
Reply #60

Bluenose 91

Love Gattuso, evil fucker.

Same.  Was hoping he would butt Hawwy Wedknapp while he was there too.

February 16, 2011, 02:54:17 PM
Reply #61

Derek

Totally out of line, but I had a little giggle myself.

Also, I'm jealous of Spurs. Big Time. :(
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 16, 2011, 08:49:08 PM
Reply #62

Bally

Administrator
http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/02/16/milan-stunned-gattuso-aims-headbutt-at-coach-video/

Just watched it more an implied head butt than a full force one but still enough for it to warrant a kick off because of who it was .
I'd have give him an uppercut to remember if he done that to me the little cunt
It's the roll I way

February 16, 2011, 10:50:17 PM
Reply #63

cantoffee

Gattuso's comments

"We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said."

February 16, 2011, 10:58:40 PM
Reply #64

fast lane

Good result for the Spurs.

It does go to show how much in decline Italian football is though.
The national aren't what they used to be, as we could see in the World Cup.
And now the Serie A leader gets beaten at home in what is still pretty early in the Champions League.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

February 16, 2011, 11:36:08 PM
Reply #65

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Good result for the Spurs.

It does go to show how much in decline Italian football is though.
The national aren't what they used to be, as we could see in the World Cup.
And now the Serie A leader gets beaten at home in what is still pretty early in the Champions League.

I was talking to a mate today about Italian football and it's general standard at the moment and I completely agree.

Milan are top of Serie A mainly off the back of 2 or 3 good attacking players and very little else.  Those players are scoring the goals for them and the opposition hasn't been strong enough to take advantage of the one-dimension of Milan's play.  Napoli are 2nd and having a great season in Serie A, but they looked very average against a massively out of form Liverpool side, and the mighty Juventus didn't even get out of their Europa League group I don't think.

Inter were very strong last season obviously, but they were a fair way ahead of the competition in terms of quality despite the league being quite close at the end.  They'd be far and away the strongest team again had it not been for their appalling first half of the season thanks to a certain Mr Benitez and some pretty serious injury problems.  Outside of Inter though, there doesn't appear to be anyone strong enough to compete with the best teams in Europe.  I thought Milan would get a result last night, and I don't think they played to their potential at all, but the fact is they're losing at home to a team like Spurs like they did suggests they're not as good as I thought.

It's funny, traditionally Italian league football was considered very strong but somewhat boring.  From watching this season it appears to have swung round so that the standard is not so high, but the entertainment factor is far greater now.  I enjoy watching Serie A games as they tend to be good watches (just starting to watch Fiorentina v Inter right now actually).

February 17, 2011, 07:06:27 PM
Reply #66

fast lane

I was talking to a mate today about Italian football and it's general standard at the moment and I completely agree.

Milan are top of Serie A mainly off the back of 2 or 3 good attacking players and very little else.  Those players are scoring the goals for them and the opposition hasn't been strong enough to take advantage of the one-dimension of Milan's play.  Napoli are 2nd and having a great season in Serie A, but they looked very average against a massively out of form Liverpool side, and the mighty Juventus didn't even get out of their Europa League group I don't think.

Inter were very strong last season obviously, but they were a fair way ahead of the competition in terms of quality despite the league being quite close at the end.  They'd be far and away the strongest team again had it not been for their appalling first half of the season thanks to a certain Mr Benitez and some pretty serious injury problems.  Outside of Inter though, there doesn't appear to be anyone strong enough to compete with the best teams in Europe.  I thought Milan would get a result last night, and I don't think they played to their potential at all, but the fact is they're losing at home to a team like Spurs like they did suggests they're not as good as I thought.

It's funny, traditionally Italian league football was considered very strong but somewhat boring.  From watching this season it appears to have swung round so that the standard is not so high, but the entertainment factor is far greater now.  I enjoy watching Serie A games as they tend to be good watches (just starting to watch Fiorentina v Inter right now actually).

I saw Napoli at the beginning of the season, and they looked poor.
They have improved as the season has gone on though.

Inter's team last year was Italian in name, but had no Italians playing in it.

If I was a philosopher, which I'm not, I could start about the cultural, moral, and in this particular case, the sporting aspects of a country which are in decline, combined with the prime minister (who controls most of the media!) who has been charged with having paid sex with a minor.
Seems to have similarities with the decline of the Roman Empire, thinking a bout it.
I'd better stop too, as this could take forever to get to a conclusion.

February 17, 2011, 10:06:05 PM
Reply #67

Optimistic Blue

I think a more specific topic to point the finger to is the match fixing scandel, that really took its toll on the league. For one It turned the league into a one horse race for the past 5 years, making it so top heavy that the other teams didnt have a chance to compete, Inter still have by far and away the best team, and had it not been for injuries and a catastrophic managerial choice they would still be in the driving seat. There was also a bit of an exodus from the league which kinda fucked things up for the other teams ya kna! Lazio and Roma had to be many finiancial troubles to make the league competitive again.

Another issue was possibly the over-reliance the league had on its golden generations, even this season Milan are still playing the likes of Gattuso 33, Pirlo 31, Ambrosini 33 and Seedorf 34, and they havent exactly shown signs of trying to develop younger players long term, unlike the other leagues who seem to have young players on the fringe at all times more or less.
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

February 18, 2011, 06:39:55 PM
Reply #68

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
There is a cyclical element to consider. Leagues do tend to go through periods where the quality drops.

However I think that Italy has suffered due to a couple of coinciding factors.

The quality of the national players has dropped. The success of the 2006 squad was based almost purely on experienced players as a result, it's hard to keep that going. Also not many younger players will have had the chance to come through and experience tha level of play.

The league itself has also suffered in that it has suffered financial hard times. There are very few "top level" players in Serie A these days. Those that are there have either been tried and rejected in England or Spain (Robinho/Ibra) or are coming to the end of their careers (Eto'o).

That never used to be the case.

Even aside from those players it's hard to think of many players that would enter into a discussion about the World's best talent Sneijder is probably the only other one I can think of, off the top of my head.

What has been obvious for a while is the complete lack of pace in the teams. This really stifles them when they try to attack. They can no longer sit back and look to hit teams on the break.

This has meant that they have to attack more. However if you take into account the reduction of talent it simply means that they are genuinely average teams (at that level).

Inter stand out so much, especially last year, as they could play how they wanted. They were solid through the centre, an excellent attacking full back (a key part of the "Italian" way of playing), a skillful playmaker, and pace and goals up front (all be it shared between Eto'o and Milito).

When it was rumoured that Pienaar was going to Milan, I thought that it was an excellent signing for them and a step in the right direction. They'd have been getting someone who is skillful but who also is reasonably quick and works very hard.

Now I like Pienaar, but he's not someone who you would naturally think of if you're considering the Milan teams of the past 20 years. Yet the fact that he would struggle to get into Spurs' starting XI, but walk into theirs shows just how far they have fallen.

There needs to be a concerted effort to produce more "modern" players. (I don't know whether this is happening or not, as it might be, but it's bound to take time to get through.)

February 19, 2011, 12:23:56 AM
Reply #69

fast lane

They showed how hard up they were in the January break.
Getting Urby Emanuelson on similar terms as to Steven Pienaar, both contracts were due to run out in the summer.
Now I know which one of those two I would buy for a similar price, and his name doesn't begin with an U.

Mark van Bommel was also welcome on a free.
Nothing wrong with that, adding a bit of bite into the midfield.
But as said before, the nucleus of the Milan team is getting on a bit, as is Inter's.

GL summed it up well, there's no new talent to take over their places, so Clarence Seedorf (34) etc. still get to play games, even if they mightn't have the legs anymore.

February 19, 2011, 02:25:41 AM
Reply #70

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
They showed how hard up they were in the January break.
Getting Urby Emanuelson on similar terms as to Steven Pienaar, both contracts were due to run out in the summer.
Now I know which one of those two I would buy for a similar price, and his name doesn't begin with an U.

Mark van Bommel was also welcome on a free.
Nothing wrong with that, adding a bit of bite into the midfield.
But as said before, the nucleus of the Milan team is getting on a bit, as is Inter's.

GL summed it up well, there's no new talent to take over their places, so Clarence Seedorf (34) etc. still get to play games, even if they mightn't have the legs anymore.

I didn't think that signing Van Bommel really helps them though. He's not hugely different from Ambrosini, Gattuso etc.

February 19, 2011, 02:28:58 AM
Reply #71

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I did think that Roma were developing a nice team structure with their 4-6-0 with Totti as their focal point.

However they were exposed every time they came up against decent opposition. Particularly Utd.

February 19, 2011, 02:34:13 AM
Reply #72

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think one people that hasn't really been discussed but as probably an important factor is the absence of Pirlo.

For me the lack of creativity in the midfield was extremely costly for Milan, they just didn't seem to be able to give Ibrahimovic or Robinho anything to work with other than longish, straight balls.  Abatte was quite good at getting down the right side, and obviously they put Pato on 2nd half and then either him or Robinho dropped deeper and things did improve.  Having Pirlo available I think would have made a big difference to them though, as he does have the ability and the experience to be able to dictate play from the centre of midfield and give the attacking players much more to work with.

February 19, 2011, 02:49:33 AM
Reply #73

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think one people that hasn't really been discussed but as probably an important factor is the absence of Pirlo.

For me the lack of creativity in the midfield was extremely costly for Milan, they just didn't seem to be able to give Ibrahimovic or Robinho anything to work with other than longish, straight balls.  Abatte was quite good at getting down the right side, and obviously they put Pato on 2nd half and then either him or Robinho dropped deeper and things did improve.  Having Pirlo available I think would have made a big difference to them though, as he does have the ability and the experience to be able to dictate play from the centre of midfield and give the attacking players much more to work with.

Yes I'd agree with this.

I think Pirlo is (and certainly has been) a fantastic player.

Although he obviously is afflicted by age much like the other players.

But I think the point remains that it's poor (and staggering considering who they are) that they don't have a suitable replacement for him.

February 19, 2011, 03:04:49 PM
Reply #74

Derek

Age is an affliction!? :D

Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku