October 23, 2019, 05:27:49 PM

Author Topic: Milan v Spurs  (Read 11985 times)

February 19, 2011, 03:18:00 PM
Reply #75

ilikebrunettes

sad to see how far Serie A has slumped. From 2012 they have lost their 4th CL spot to Germany. Cant see how they weill get it back from them, France and Russia will soon chase them down also
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

February 19, 2011, 05:59:12 PM
Reply #76

fast lane

I didn't think that signing Van Bommel really helps them though. He's not hugely different from Ambrosini, Gattuso etc.

And 30+ to boot, all short term patch up's, and no real vision.
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

February 20, 2011, 05:16:49 AM
Reply #77

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
sad to see how far Serie A has slumped. From 2012 they have lost their 4th CL spot to Germany. Cant see how they weill get it back from them, France and Russia will soon chase them down also

At the present rate yes.

However I'd wager that in 5 years time there will have been an up turn in fortunes. Maybe not enough to have caught up with the Bundersliga (and certainly not La Liga and the PL) but enough to have held off Russia and France.

February 20, 2011, 05:19:06 AM
Reply #78

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
And 30+ to boot, all short term patch up's, and no real vision.

Even if they've got no real money, which they clearly have some left they've just decided to spend it on Robinho and Ibra (next year), they should surely have been looking to the future.

Maybe their lack of recent domestic success has clouded their judgement as to just how far they are falling behind the rest of the European big hitters.

February 20, 2011, 05:22:16 AM
Reply #79

Derek

Anyone more informed care to take a guess at why Serie A (or Series A, as Fat Sam likes to call it) has taken such a nose dive in overall quality?
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

February 20, 2011, 05:30:50 AM
Reply #80

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone more informed care to take a guess at why Serie A (or Series A, as Fat Sam likes to call it) has taken such a nose dive in overall quality?

I think others have covered the main points really:

1. It's all cyclical anyway
2. Calciopoli
3. An aging national team preventing youngsters from progressing
4. Money being elsewhere so superstars tending to end up in Spain or England.
5. Issues with crowd troubles / low attendances.

As someone who grew up with Italia '90 as my first major tournament that I really remember, and watching the glory days of Football Italia on C4 on Sunday afternoons (gollllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa zzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooo!) I find it pretty sad really.  If you look back at the quality of some of the teams and players that have graced Serie A throughout a pretty long period from the early 90s through to the mid 00s it makes you realise how the perceived English dominance of recent years pales in comparison to the longevity of Serie A's success. 

I think Glewis said earlier about expecting them to recover and come back soon, and I agree with this also.

February 21, 2011, 10:44:09 AM
Reply #81

cantoffee

I don't expect a recovery. The country itself is in huge debt, and personal debt is also very high. People are going to have services cut and taxes go up at some point unless they want to end up like Greece. It's one of the most poorly run countries in Europe.

Attendances will remain low, or they will be forced to lower ticket prices, merchandising will be less likely to generate profit domestically and in general, people just won't have the money to spend on football. A few teams might still do well because they are backed by people with some big money (namely Berlusconi), but overall the quality of the league will suffer unless someone is able to revitalise it enough to get a big money tv contract. It might be cyclical, but I think this time they might have to wait until the next cycle.

February 21, 2011, 09:24:03 PM
Reply #82

Bluenose 91

I think others have covered the main points really:

1. It's all cyclical anyway
2. Calciopoli
3. An aging national team preventing youngsters from progressing
4. Money being elsewhere so superstars tending to end up in Spain or England.
5. Issues with crowd troubles / low attendances.

As someone who grew up with Italia '90 as my first major tournament that I really remember, and watching the glory days of Football Italia on C4 on Sunday afternoons (gollllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa zzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooo!) I find it pretty sad really.  If you look back at the quality of some of the teams and players that have graced Serie A throughout a pretty long period from the early 90s through to the mid 00s it makes you realise how the perceived English dominance of recent years pales in comparison to the longevity of Serie A's success. 

I think Glewis said earlier about expecting them to recover and come back soon, and I agree with this also.

That was my favourite show ever!

February 22, 2011, 12:34:38 AM
Reply #83

Ridge

Gattuso has been given a 4 match ban for his headbutt on Jordan and Milan have decided to appeal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9398824.stm

February 22, 2011, 12:50:00 AM
Reply #84

Gash

Global Moderator
I'm surprised they're appealing. 4 games and he's dodged a bullet. Don't know if UEFA can add more games if the appeal is rejected?