October 18, 2019, 06:18:04 PM

Author Topic: Dixie v Messi  (Read 11765 times)

April 15, 2011, 03:56:38 AM
Reply #15

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
didnt Dixie need a hat trick to beat the guy he was competing with to the top scorer?

Camsell (sp) had scored 59 the previous season, but that was in the 2nd division.

Anyway, there's  no debate around whether more goals were scored back in the day because everyone knows there was.  The point is that it's impossible to compare what Messi is doing now to what Dixie acheived back in those days.  That said, suggesting that scoring 60 league goals in a season is anything other than incredible is verging on the moronic.

April 15, 2011, 03:59:01 AM
Reply #16

ilikebrunettes

He needed a hat trick, in the last game of the season, to get to 60.

ah i see. My mistake.

Everton won the league that season... they had the best defensive record. Conceeded 66 goals.

That is appaling. Only 1 side in the entire Spanish league will prob concede that this season.
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

April 15, 2011, 04:04:30 AM
Reply #17

Bluenose 91

I was scared Pires was going to beat Dixie's record this season to be honest.

April 15, 2011, 04:07:35 AM
Reply #18

ilikebrunettes

Camsell (sp) had scored 59 the previous season, but that was in the 2nd division.

Anyway, there's  no debate around whether more goals were scored back in the day because everyone knows there was.  The point is that it's impossible to compare what Messi is doing now to what Dixie acheived back in those days.  That said, suggesting that scoring 60 league goals in a season is anything other than incredible is verging on the moronic.

dont think i said it was crap did i? That said. Scoring 48 goals in a footballing season (at the standard at which messi is playing) is a far better achivement than Dixies IMO
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

April 15, 2011, 04:15:08 AM
Reply #19

Gash

Global Moderator
Only ILB would have enough disrespect to try to down play the achievements of one of our greatest ever players.

April 15, 2011, 05:27:45 AM
Reply #20

Jamokachi

dont think i said it was crap did i? That said. Scoring 48 goals in a footballing season (at the standard at which messi is playing) is a far better achivement than Dixies IMO

But you have nothing but stats to compare. No actual physical evidence of what quality was on display at all. Football was much rougher and tougher in Dean's day. Messi might not have even made it as a professional footballer back then.

This is such a retarded debate.

April 15, 2011, 05:29:36 AM
Reply #21

Chazman

We'll have to wait and see which achievement people will still be talking about in another 20 years then won't we? Messis' will have been forgotten. It really must pain you to give any credit to ANYTHING Everton
"I fuckin love this club"

April 15, 2011, 07:10:01 AM
Reply #22

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Im sure a player died from heading a ball back in Dixies day, so it couldent of been that easy to score 60 goals especially as Dixie was renowned for his heading ability.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 15, 2011, 08:04:30 AM
Reply #23

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Messi's record this season is already a far greater achievement. the defensive stats in the league back then were a joke

I sometimes wonder whether you actually believe what you post or whether you are just a really persistant troll.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 15, 2011, 08:20:57 AM
Reply #24

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Was the offside rule in existence in Dean's day?
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

April 15, 2011, 10:45:54 AM
Reply #25

cantoffee

this debate is pointless and stupid

I was scared Pires was going to beat Dixie's record this season to be honest.

lolol

April 15, 2011, 02:39:45 PM
Reply #26

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
ILB simply can't be an Evertonian. I also omagine he sits on various forums wondering why he has no real mates. [gmod]removed by me as that was completely out of order cheers Bally[/gmod]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:33:24 PM by Bally »

April 15, 2011, 04:36:41 PM
Reply #27

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
ILB if you are an Evertonian you are the worst Evertonian in history.  What the holy fuck.  Messi's achievement is excellent but we are talking about Dixie Dean ffs. 

April 15, 2011, 04:36:47 PM
Reply #28

top flight for a long time

I'm sure it was and I think it was more difficult - 3 players between you and the line

This was about the offside law

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
We're forever Everton....

April 15, 2011, 06:33:38 PM
Reply #29

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If you're going to compare statistics the only way you can do it is by the percentage of goals that each player scored in their league.

Dixie's 60 season 1927/28 saw 1765 goals.

Therefore he got 3.39% of that total.

Messi's current La Liga total of 29 in 2010/11 has seen 837 goals.

Therefore he has 3.46% of the total.

Incredibly close statistics and you'd have to say Messi is doing very well.

However I'm struggling to see how any Evertonian can disparage Dixie, of all players, with such ridiculous comments. It's one thing saying Messi is doing as well as or better than Dixie, but to start claiming it was miles better is just baffling.