October 23, 2019, 11:39:40 AM

Author Topic: Dixie v Messi  (Read 11773 times)

April 17, 2011, 02:29:12 AM
Reply #45

Ridge

Very difficult to compare, but what Messi is achieving is unreal.

Schumacher isn't even the best driver in the Mercedes team.  :whistle:

April 17, 2011, 02:31:08 AM
Reply #46

Gash

Global Moderator
Very difficult to compare, but what Messi is achieving is unreal.

Schumacher isn't even the best driver in the Mercedes team.  :whistle:

He's not even the best German in a Mercedes.  :whistle:

April 17, 2011, 02:35:25 AM
Reply #47

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
The funny thing is that to an extent I agree with ILB, he does make some valid points about the differences in the game

It's more the cynical way he's presented them coupled with his known disdain for all things EFC whilst at the same time coming across like a starry-eyed teenager when it comes to all things Arsenal that winds people up so much.  That and the fact that the majority on here are quite correctly pointing out that it's pretty hard to compare them meaningfully, whereas ILB is as usual going way overboard with "THIS IS HOW IT IS" type postings.

April 17, 2011, 04:34:17 AM
Reply #48

cantoffee

stop being a faggy bitch

Messi 30 league goals

Dean 60 league goals

They can't really be compared but comparing that with the stats GLewis showed earlier where he had Messi scoring 48 in the league it would indicate that Dean was more prolific. Wind your neck in you pathetic excuse for a supporter, where the fuck is Pires by the way?

April 17, 2011, 04:43:51 AM
Reply #49

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think he brought a thing to the discussion that most of the readers hadn't already taken into consideration, Risk. He didn't even bring hisa usual skewed stats into it, just that records from the 60's are "prob sketchy". But I think someone already covered that one.

Doesn't seem to have an original though to bring to any table, just various other opinions mashed together and palmed of as an original thought, or even fact. Just a typical online know nothing-know it all.

April 17, 2011, 04:55:45 AM
Reply #50

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think he brought a thing to the discussion that most of the readers hadn't already taken into consideration, Risk. He didn't even bring hisa usual skewed stats into it, just that records from the 60's are "prob sketchy". But I think someone already covered that one.

Doesn't seem to have an original though to bring to any table, just various other opinions mashed together and palmed of as an original thought, or even fact. Just a typical online know nothing-know it all.

Yeah definitely, it was nothing new.  The point I was trying to make though was that his opinion in it's isolation wasn't particularly ridiculous, but instead it was the cuntybollocks way that he presented it that riled everyone - that and the fact that as you say, it's nothing that hadn't been considered by anyone else.

April 17, 2011, 05:07:14 AM
Reply #51

Optimistic Blue

Dixie Dean - 60 LEAGUE goals

Messi - 29 LEAGUE goals (34 last season)

now im not mathematician but last time i checked 60 is infact greater than 29

yes i can confirm that 60>29

so scoring less goals more of an achievement?  lolol lolol lolol lolol

i bought some stamps the other day, i guess that means that my achievement is much greater than Philipp von Ferrary the guy who assembled probably the most complete worldwide collection that ever existed!

lolol lolol lolol

you cant take the right out of Kenwright

April 17, 2011, 05:16:52 AM
Reply #52

Craig_1878

"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge

April 17, 2011, 05:32:01 AM
Reply #53

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
now im not mathematician but last time i checked 60 is infact greater than 29

yes i can confirm that 60>29

so scoring less goals more of an achievement?  lolol lolol lolol lolol

i bought some stamps the other day, i guess that means that my achievement is much greater than Philipp von Ferrary the guy who assembled probably the most complete worldwide collection that ever existed!

lolol lolol lolol

:-\
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 17, 2011, 06:51:22 AM
Reply #54

BigWoodenSpoon

Dixie Deans achievement was superb, and I hate it when people try and discredit something just because it happened in the past and people aren't here to defend it.  It was a great achievement then and a great achievement now.  Just because it never appeared in the "Premier League" era doesn't mean it never happened, or the achievement should be belittled.

April 21, 2011, 12:09:38 AM
Reply #55

Paul.

No u can't. Not at all. Champs league games are not the same as friendlies... Are they?!

I haven't said dixies record is shit, have I? Fucking drama queens. Just be because he played for everton doesn't mean it beats everyone else.

The English league back then would have just been British players. The current la liga is made up of the worlds best players.

Think about it logically for christs sake. Dixies record was fantastic. And still is. But I believe messi's current record... In the standard he plays is better.

So shove you fucking fake screams of horror up your arses

In some cases they might as well be. Dean played far less games than Messi does in a season as well. 60 league goals in 39 league apps. fa cup was the only tourney around Dean could get extra games in which Everton played 1 game before losing to Arsenal in their second.. .  Messi has league copa del rey and champions league.
Who lit the fuse on your tampon ?

April 27, 2011, 05:42:52 AM
Reply #56

74Blue

In the early 80's, a certain striker from the dark side scored 49 goals in a season in all competitions, so would it not be better for you to compare Messi's goalscoring prowess to Ian Rush, who scored a similar number of goals to Messi, rather than probably the most prolific centre forward to have graced English football.

I'm not saying for one minute that the Welsh Pinocchio was ever in the same league as Messi in terms of overall ability, but if we are comparing goalscoring records alone, then surely he would be a far more suitable candidate for comparison. My point being that Rush's 49 goal season was only 30 odd years ago and is pretty much forgotten. Dixie's 60 league goals were scored 80 odd years ago & are still talked about. I think this highlights what an achievement it was.

We could go on all day debating whether or not it was easier to score goals in any particular era, but the fact is that the players of that generation were not given anywhere near the same level of protection as modern day players. The game may not have been as fast, or as tactical as it is today, but players went in hard and didn't roll around the floor like they'd been poleaxed every time a defender went within five yards of them. How many of Messi's goals have been scored as a result of defenders being weary of getting too tight to him knowing that he's going to go down like a sack of shite as soon as they breathe on him. Different eras, different game, but to belittle the achievement of scoring 60 LEAGUE goals in a season is just spouting utter shite!

April 28, 2011, 03:59:50 AM
Reply #57

ilikebrunettes

do games away at Real Madrid compare to Friendlies?

52 and counting...
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

April 28, 2011, 04:01:48 AM
Reply #58

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
do games away at Real Madrid compare to Friendlies?

52 and counting...

lolol

What a gimp

April 28, 2011, 04:03:14 AM
Reply #59

Craig_1878

lolol

What a gimp

This.

Why does he even bother posting,[admin] removed by me cheers Bally[/admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:51:28 PM by Bally »
"Sunday Bloody Sunday. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"- Alan Partridge