October 18, 2019, 05:35:31 AM

Author Topic: David de Gea  (Read 13071 times)

May 26, 2011, 08:02:20 PM
Reply #30

Bluenose 91

that was defo the defenders fault.

and eh conceeded a pen against spurs? oooohhh

maybe you should check out De Geas highlights.

anyway De Gea has denied he is joing United

This is true, it was on Al Snow's twitter.

May 26, 2011, 08:06:52 PM
Reply #31

evertonjoe

This is true, it was on Al Snow's twitter.

He heard it from Head.

R.A.P Music

May 26, 2011, 10:31:03 PM
Reply #32

Ridge

Leaning towards ILB on de Gea.

It's a massive step up to make at that age. If he makes mistakes for Atletico they're not as noticeable as they're not challenging at the top where the margins are tighter and the differences between success and failure aren't as exaggerated.
I can see your reasoning, it will be a different kettle of fish playing for United. Many keepers find it different in the spotlight with little to do, but with higher importance when the time comes. I suspected United would probably go for Stekelenburg, as he has more experience and has already demonstrated so, on bigger stages. I did think maybe Fergie was erring on the side of potential, rather than demonstrated ability.

There is also an effect from the keeper that reverbarates throught the defence. Whether it be a calm reassurance in certain situations or understanding when they will rush out and adapted accordingly, something Howard struggled with, but we seem to have adapted to, where United didn't. Gomes for instance seems to confuse the defence and leaves them unsure what he will do next, even though he seems to be one of the best in many other areas.

I can understand caution over De Gea's ability to fit in and adapt, but for me, Szczesny has already shown a lack of understanding and communication with defenders and an eagerness to get involved when he doesn't need to. These are things he can improve, but I don't think they will come easily or soon. De Gea is familiar with his current defence, how good his English is and how he works with the United defenders will be important. But the caution is the unknown, he hasn't been in those situations yet, so it's hard to tell beyond what capabilities he has already shown in his current situation.

I never said De Gea was guaranteed greatness, but I think there is certainly more potential than Szczesny, considering Szczesny has already demonstrated critical frailties, with several at crucial times.

As ILB said though, De Gea's people have come out and said nothing is completed as yet.

May 27, 2011, 08:47:25 AM
Reply #33

.Rimbo.

I tend to agree with ILB on this. Good keeper with a lot of potential but to say he could be United's number 1 next season? Not too sure myself.

June 30, 2011, 12:05:25 AM
Reply #34

cantoffee

June 30, 2011, 04:30:30 AM
Reply #35

Haile GAZrselassie

If you were a Chelsea/Arsenal fan you'd be spewing just now.

Utd have spent 50m thus far, probably still not done according to their chief exec just before the end of the season and Chelsea and Arsenal still not spent a bobbin.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

June 30, 2011, 04:35:44 AM
Reply #36

Gash

Global Moderator
I know they've got massive debt, but it makes you wonder how long the green and yellow campaign will last? £50m is a pretty good indication of backing the manager.

Granted, I don't know if that is generating more debt but that's impressive spending before July has even begun.

June 30, 2011, 05:01:25 AM
Reply #37

Ridge

I know they've got massive debt, but it makes you wonder how long the green and yellow campaign will last? £50m is a pretty good indication of backing the manager.

Granted, I don't know if that is generating more debt but that's impressive spending before July has even begun.
They've almost certainly weathered the storm now, debt repayments have dropped as they have paid off the loans that had a higher interest first. This is while the valuation of the club has doubled and therefore its ability to attract investment or loans has increased. When the Glazer's took over, turnover was on average around £150m, now it's about £300m with £100m of that coming from commercial revenue streams.

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere about the Glazer's all getting a few million each from United on a very favourable loan or as a fee. It seems fairly likely that they will be looking to float the company and exit the arena, unless someone offers them double what they (theoretically) paid in the first place.

June 30, 2011, 05:01:43 AM
Reply #38

Haile GAZrselassie

It's manageable though Gash.

They've got to the final stages of the CL for the past 4 years, won the prem 3 in the last 4. They continue to expand into the far east, India and North America.

The green and Gold mob are pissing in the wind imo.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

June 30, 2011, 06:06:05 AM
Reply #39

.Rimbo.

Utd have spent 50m thus far, probably still not done according to their chief exec just before the end of the season and Chelsea and Arsenal still not spent a bobbin.

Then again, for the money spent I don't think either Arsenal or Chelsea will be bricking it. Phil Jones is an alright, young defender, we all know what Ashley Young can do but was there any great need to sign him? Where does he fit in? As for De Gea, I still have my reservations about him. He has a lot of potential but I'm unsure as to whether he'll be able to take the number 1 jersey next season with authority. So yes, it's a lot of money spent, but I wouldn't say any were ground-breaking signings.

June 30, 2011, 11:30:08 AM
Reply #40

cantoffee

I'd agree with that Rimbo, and if I were a Chelsea fan I'd be happy that we haven't spent anything before bringing Villas-Boas in, because that would just indicate that the club has no regard for the manager's input in transfer targets.

I think they'll look to bring in a top-class or young and near top-class CM, maybe Nasri, although I would have thought they'd prefer someone who plays a bit deeper. I don't think they are done yet, although I think they'll probably ship a few players out so their net spend won't take much more of a dent.

June 30, 2011, 12:30:44 PM
Reply #41

ilikebrunettes

Their signings add very little to them IMO. In fact I'd say fergie blowing £40m on young and jones is madness.

I'd imagine arsenal will swing in to business soon.
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

June 30, 2011, 03:40:08 PM
Reply #42

Jamokachi

Finally spending that Ronaldo money it seems.

June 30, 2011, 03:43:08 PM
Reply #43

Jamokachi

As for De Gea, I still have my reservations about him. He has a lot of potential but I'm unsure as to whether he'll be able to take the number 1 jersey next season with authority.

But it's not just about "next season", it's about the next few years. Utd have invested in that potential, just as they've done with P. Jones.

June 30, 2011, 03:43:12 PM
Reply #44

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Their signings add very little to them IMO. In fact I'd say fergie blowing £40m on young and jones is madness.

I'd imagine arsenal will swing in to business soon.

Perhaps but they are unlikely to spend megabucks.  Wenger just doesn't do that (or can't).  They are at least a striker, keeper and defender short.  Will he address that or stick his head in the sand again?