October 16, 2019, 04:15:47 AM

Author Topic: 15mil bid turned down by Villa for Downing.  (Read 13649 times)

July 14, 2011, 07:33:10 PM
Reply #30

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
So since the second coming of yanks they have spent

Suarez 22m
Caroll 35m
Henderson 20m
Adam 8m
Downing 20m

Total 105m - One of them players is proven international quality
Worlds gone mad
Simply simply lovely

July 14, 2011, 09:43:34 PM
Reply #31

Tinga

Suarez 22m
Caroll 35m
Henderson 20m
Adam 8m
Downing 20m

Worlds gone mad

King Kenny lad, can't do any wrong but when the shit hits the fan (again) it will be the yanks.

July 14, 2011, 11:16:02 PM
Reply #32

Ridge

Suarez 22m
Caroll 35m
Henderson 20m
Adam 8m
Downing 20m

Worlds gone mad
They were all key players for their previous teams, combined with them being on relatively low wages and fairly young, the transfer fees went up. I'd agree all seem over priced, but it's often better to pay a bit extra to get what you want and I get the impession the age and nationality of targets was important to NESV.

As long as Joe Cole and few others stay about, they have still got a fair bit of waste. But I wouldn't write any of those players purchased, completely off.

July 15, 2011, 09:17:29 AM
Reply #33

Robioto

Am I missing something with Downing? While I accept he is a good player is he really worth £20m? Will he really help move the shite to where they want to be? From what I've seen I really don't think he's good enough.

July 15, 2011, 01:34:47 PM
Reply #34

Derek

They just want people feeding Carroll. It's transparent Kenny tactics, he's always done the same.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

July 15, 2011, 06:41:03 PM
Reply #35

BigWoodenSpoon

Downing has 9 goals 11 assists in the PL the last 3 seasons.

He is absloutely shit

Or 7 league goals (just one behiond Evertons highest goal-scorer last season) and 7 assists in the Prem last season.  Doesn't seem so shit now does he???  And that's from a winger.

Personally I like the look of him.  I'm glad we've bought him.  £20m a bit steep....maybe, but we'll see at the end of the next season or two.

July 15, 2011, 07:04:05 PM
Reply #36

Shogun

Administrator
looks like carrolls going to be getting a lot of headers next year

July 15, 2011, 07:27:22 PM
Reply #37

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Or 7 league goals (just one behiond Evertons highest goal-scorer last season) and 7 assists in the Prem last season.  Doesn't seem so shit now does he???  And that's from a winger.

Personally I like the look of him.  I'm glad we've bought him.  £20m a bit steep....maybe, but we'll see at the end of the next season or two.

To be fair the one behind Everton highest scorer isn't much to shout about. We have a woeful strike force. Plus from a £20mil winger I'd want stats closer to Nani's than Chris Brunt's.

July 15, 2011, 07:39:16 PM
Reply #38

Jamokachi

To be fair the one behind Everton highest scorer isn't much to shout about. We have a woeful strike force. Plus from a £20mil winger I'd want stats closer to Nani's than Chris Brunt's.

:snigger:

July 15, 2011, 07:48:50 PM
Reply #39

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Didnt our left back put in more crosses and get more assists?
Simply simply lovely

July 15, 2011, 08:00:36 PM
Reply #40

Shogun

Administrator
Didnt our left back put in more crosses and get more assists?
hardly coparable when we have the best left back in the world...

July 15, 2011, 08:00:48 PM
Reply #41

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Downing put in more crosses than anyone else last season, bar Leighton Baines.

But that's exactly what the shite need with someone like Caroll up front. Perfect signing for them.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 15, 2011, 08:35:53 PM
Reply #42

Danny

In fairness to them they've spent 100 million but they must have brought in about 60 with Torres and Babel at least leaving.

July 15, 2011, 08:46:48 PM
Reply #43

Bluenose 91

Rumours circulating that they're about to bid £46 million for Matt Oakley.

July 15, 2011, 08:53:11 PM
Reply #44

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I would say Downing despite being overpriced is still their best "value" signing so far.  He adds more immediately to the team than any of the others.