October 19, 2019, 04:33:08 PM

Author Topic: 15mil bid turned down by Villa for Downing.  (Read 13665 times)

July 15, 2011, 10:06:08 PM
Reply #45

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I would say Downing despite being overpriced is still their best "value" signing so far.  He adds more immediately to the team than any of the others.

Maybe they should buy a bloody defender then

July 15, 2011, 10:11:52 PM
Reply #46

Shogun

Administrator
why the fuck would WE want that! :P
Maybe they should buy a bloody defender then

July 15, 2011, 10:42:54 PM
Reply #47

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
In fairness to them they've spent 100 million but they must have brought in about 60 with Torres and Babel at least leaving.

Yet they've only really replaced Babel...
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

July 15, 2011, 10:55:45 PM
Reply #48

Shogun

Administrator
Yet they've only really replaced Babel...
i'd say suarez covers up for torres.

July 15, 2011, 11:01:53 PM
Reply #49

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
i'd say suarez covers up for torres.

Suarez is who has replaced Babel.

Torres is a world class 'number 9', I wouldn't say Suarez is the same type of player.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

July 15, 2011, 11:11:18 PM
Reply #50

Shogun

Administrator
Suarez is who has replaced Babel.

Torres is a world class 'number 9', I wouldn't say Suarez is the same type of player.
suarez scores goals, babel didn't.

July 16, 2011, 03:54:04 AM
Reply #51

Derek

Suarez is a brilliant player. If he wasn't such a little tosser, I'd be jealous they have him.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

July 16, 2011, 06:32:02 AM
Reply #52

irishtoffee

kuyt, gerrard, cole, jovanovic, adam, henderson, aqualani, shevley, spearing, meireles, maxi, lucas, poulsen and  now downing (pacheco and coady through the youths). And we thought we were over stocked in midfield. This is ridiculous

July 16, 2011, 10:44:04 PM
Reply #53

BigWoodenSpoon

To be fair the one behind Everton highest scorer isn't much to shout about. We have a woeful strike force. Plus from a 20mil winger I'd want stats closer to Nani's than Chris Brunt's.

How's about the Opta stat that he has provided the most crosses in open play in the PL than any player for the last three seasons?

The thing I was trying to get across was the fact that you can do anything with stats.  Over three seasons Downings stats looked woeful, but if you look into his stats just for the last season that puts him in a more favourable light.  The stat above is impressive but again it depends on what way you look at it.

I guess time will tell whether or not this is 20m well spent.  But if you looked at Liverpool's options pre-Downing we never had a real out-and-out winger.  As someone pointed out earlier, it seems to be Kenny's way.  He likes having two proper wingers to supply the strikers, and Downing in his eyes is a proper winger.  I bet Carroll is pleased with the signing anyway.

July 17, 2011, 01:16:07 AM
Reply #54

Gash

Global Moderator
How's about the Opta stat that he has provided the most crosses in open play in the PL than any player for the last three seasons?

Didn't that same Opta stat show that he only had about 18% of his crosses were successfull?

July 17, 2011, 01:39:44 AM
Reply #55

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Didn't that same Opta stat show that he only had about 18% of his crosses were successfull?

Awful success rate for a out and out winger.

July 17, 2011, 03:56:17 PM
Reply #56

ilikebrunettes

Or 7 league goals (just one behiond Evertons highest goal-scorer last season) and 7 assists in the Prem last season.  Doesn't seem so shit now does he???  And that's from a winger.

Personally I like the look of him.  I'm glad we've bought him.  20m a bit steep....maybe, but we'll see at the end of the next season or two.

terrible stats/ Theo Walcott had far better stats, do you rate him?
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

July 17, 2011, 05:40:27 PM
Reply #57

Risky

NSNO Subscriber

I think successfull cross stats in general are very low though to be fair, and there's an element of needing your team-mates to make your cross a successfull one too.

Still think it's an appalling bit of business though.

July 17, 2011, 05:59:23 PM
Reply #58

Jamokachi

Can we just agree that Downing is shit please? Thanks.

July 17, 2011, 06:11:40 PM
Reply #59

BigWoodenSpoon

Yep.  That's exactly what I'm saying - you can twist stats to suit your agenda.  The cross is only as good as the person at the other end of it (or not). Getting the cross in is one aspect, having someone at the other end is another.