November 20, 2018, 10:27:25 PM

Author Topic: Manchester City V Everton  (Read 39542 times)

September 25, 2011, 01:50:41 PM
Reply #315

nomorechang

RIP
Just dont feel right when u start with such a defensive formation. I know they are a far better team than us, but going with this formation is just acceptng the fact that we are going in the match to contain your attack and nothing else. A defensive midfielder less would have been the right approach.. would have given us some edge to play with

Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, Samir Nasri and David Silva before introducing Mario Balotelli and James Milner as second-half substitutes, even leaving Carlos Tevez on the bench.... we just cannot leave these players alone to play the football that they are capable of .... I'd be happy if just Tevez played for us , I'd back us to win against them , the whole dynamic of the team is changed if you have one player of that ability , theyve got 6
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

September 25, 2011, 02:49:41 PM
Reply #316

Derek

Still rather have a go though, nomorechang.

Anyone can beat anyone, with a bit of luck and the right attitude. Our attitude in going there was rotten and how anyone can be contented "only" losing 2-0 leaves my mind boggled.

It's not that I wanted us to field 3 - 4 - 3 or anything like that, but we started with the clear aim of trying to shut them out for the 90 and hoping Tim Cahill would nab a late header. It reeks of negativity and teams with players like City do, as you all keep saying, will, more often than not - I am sure, find a way through.

I don't know what difference it would have made to our defensive plan if we'd started with an actual striker, do you? It may actually have helped, because we'd be able to hold the ball up better and for longer period out of our own half, relieving the pressure on the defence.

I don't honestly think we should have gone 4 - 4 - 2 and tried to hammer City while playing attacking football, but we just played the kind of footy that we all so despise Brum, Wolves and Wigan for playing against us at Goodison. If we lambaste them for it, then it's hypocritical to defend ourselves when we do it.

Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

September 25, 2011, 02:52:43 PM
Reply #317

JoeHart

Everyone would change something after losing the game.

It was the same style and tactics that got us 3 points at the Eastlands and points away to several top teams last year. But less effective because we conceeded a rather fortunate goal at a pivotal moment.

it wasnt, we where alot more negative this season - watch the highlights from last season and the difference in how deep we sat and how little we had going forward in support is a real eye opener.

Everton forever