August 21, 2019, 12:36:09 PM

Author Topic: Togo banned from next two ACNs  (Read 2848 times)

January 30, 2010, 08:43:35 PM
Read 2848 times

Thom

Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

Disgusting decision by Caf. Three people have died and the experience will live with those Togolose players for the rest of their lives. To ban the nation from competing, and fining them US$50,000 is despicable.

January 30, 2010, 08:45:32 PM
Reply #1

evertonjoe

That is terrible the CAF were lcuky more teams did not pull out of that tournament and this really is an insult to those who died.

R.A.P Music

January 30, 2010, 09:10:56 PM
Reply #2

Endless, Nameless

Fucking disgusting. I guess we can add another corrupt footballing body to the list.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

January 30, 2010, 09:41:47 PM
Reply #3

.Rimbo.

Was it not just a random attack? That's ridiculous.

January 30, 2010, 10:01:37 PM
Reply #4

fast lane

Really is weird.
Who can understand this?
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

January 30, 2010, 10:06:06 PM
Reply #5

Ridge

Awkward one, Togo shouldn't have travelled by road and the government shouldn't dictate sports. But in the circumstances its very distasteful, nothing can warrant what happened to them and safety of the players should be paramount.

Stupid decision to ban them, at least they will be less likely to be killed.

January 30, 2010, 11:59:54 PM
Reply #6

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I understand the notion that politics and sports should be kept separate, but surely there must be some room for common sense to prevail here?  We're talking about the machine-gunning of a coach here, not some political reasons as such.

I would hope that FIFA are strong enough to speak out about this and pressure CAF in to climbing down on this one, but sadly I can't see it.

January 31, 2010, 12:23:16 AM
Reply #7

cantoffee

Despicable decision, should be happy more teams didn't pull out. Given the quality of football that was on display, most teams look like they had gone home anyways.

January 31, 2010, 01:06:11 AM
Reply #8

Gash

Global Moderator

January 31, 2010, 08:09:52 AM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Probably city paying Caf off so Adebayor misses The next AFCON and al the qualifiers
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

January 31, 2010, 08:48:46 AM
Reply #10

Meak

horrendous...

i dont even need to explain, nor does anyone else, what a horrible decision
Follow me on Twitter @BlakeEMeakin

January 31, 2010, 11:30:35 AM
Reply #11

huck

Le Berry

January 31, 2010, 03:52:20 PM
Reply #12

Derek

Truly awful decision. I wonder if FIFA can put any pressure on them, but then again it's all so political that it may not work. There is surprisingly little sympathy coming from CAF, and they seem more concerned about the financial and political ramifications than the event itself.

According to reports, article 78 of the African Cup of Nations Charter states that teams should be banned for pulling out of a tournament so late for the next two tournaments, but I think there is a caveat a bit later saying this doesn't apply if they withdrew because of extenuating circumstances - which I think this definitely is.

Given all that, it's striking the lack of sensitivity to both Togo and the sentiments of the world more generally. Further to that, a BBC blog on the topic makes the valid point that it seems they're trying to scuttle the tournament by announcing this twenty four hours before the Final.

Egypt will win anyway by team ethic and a strength and nothing else approach, after which they'll disappear until the next ACN. Bit boring really.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

January 31, 2010, 06:10:46 PM
Reply #13

Chazman

"I fuckin love this club"

January 31, 2010, 11:06:39 PM
Reply #14

ally2

:bonk:

ACON is an absolute joke of a tournament run by clowns.  CAF need to accept that African football is still largely crap.  There are good players no doubt but overall, its still crap.

Seriously - a tournament every 2 years right in the middle of the european season and held 5 months before a World Cup in the same continent!  You couldn't make it up.  £400 for a hotel room for one night in Angola.  A stadium only 1/4 filled for the final...

They need to run ACON every four years but not in a world cup or european cup year.  Then they need to run it in the summer and restrict it to a select bunch of countries who have some political stability and a tolerable climate.  And re-instate Togo with un-reserved apology.