September 24, 2019, 02:49:01 AM

Author Topic: How world class is Wayne Rooney?  (Read 2793 times)

January 28, 2010, 11:06:13 PM
Read 2793 times

Endless, Nameless

Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

January 28, 2010, 11:08:32 PM
Reply #1

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

January 28, 2010, 11:20:42 PM
Reply #2

huck

Same. Read any of the comments on that? Some daft people about...
Le Berry

January 29, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Reply #3

Chazman

Do you reckon comment No 8 is Milky
"I fuckin love this club"

January 29, 2010, 12:24:38 AM
Reply #4

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Same.  He isn't a pretty player (not in looks btw) which is why people are reluctant to tag him WC but he undoubtedly has that ability.  It is effectiveness that counts and he is probably the most effective player in the World right now.

January 29, 2010, 01:04:54 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I still don't think he's quite as good as Ronaldo or Messi, but his current form has him up just behind them at present.

One thing about that article though, is the entirely predictable "look what Ferguson has done" compliments.

Rooney's got older and matured, that's not really a big divergence from standard human development is it?

January 29, 2010, 02:00:16 AM
Reply #6

.Rimbo.

Best attacking player on the planet?!?! Behave!

January 29, 2010, 03:33:08 AM
Reply #7

slothzen

I voted not quite.  

Sure he's looked fantastic lately but he still has more to prove before we start saying he's rubbing shoulders with Ronaldo and Messi.

So he put 4 in the net against Hull, ok fine, but we've got to remember that Defoe put 5 past Wigan.  We haven't started parading HIS name around with the best in the world, or should we be including him?  No, Rooney is not quite there, but he could be, and by all accounts will be.

We want him to be on par with those two but why? Because it's Rooney, and we can live vicariously through his achievement. Of-course we all know this isn't just about the money we'd get if he signed on for 50 million. It's about pride.  We've hopelessly attached ourselves to Rooney, even though he's moved on; even though he plays against us on occasion.  He came from Everton.   We think; wouldn't it be amazing to see a player stamped with "Made by Everton" go on to sign for Real or Barcelona, break another record, and improve even more on his mind-boggling talent.  

The only thing better than that would be if we were gifted with the money it would take to get him back. Of course-I think-it would take even more than Man U's potential desired fee. We'd need resources to build a squad around him, to convince him we could achieve up to his standard.  You ever run out of money towards the end of the month and are forced to eat ramen instead of chicken or beef?  How terrible that ramen is, but you have to eat it because it's the only goddamn thing in the cupboard?  It would be like that times 10 for this guy.  

Can you imagine, even if we had the money, Rooney would feel good coming back to a team that just lost in an FA cup 1st leg against Birmingham, and got absolutely trounced twice by Benfica? After all his success?

Uhh, yeah...anywho, coyb.  Saha to get 6 over Wigan this weekend so we can sell him for 6 instead of 4 million next summer. 'Not even in my top 10!'  Lordy.

January 29, 2010, 09:03:33 PM
Reply #8

Thom

Administrator
On current form I'd say he's on par with the best in the world. Whether he can continue that form and carry United for a few years remains to be seen.

January 29, 2010, 11:53:43 PM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I voted not quite, but I do think he is world class, but not in the same league as Ronaldo and Messi who are extremely world class.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

January 30, 2010, 12:14:05 AM
Reply #10

Endless, Nameless

I think he is far more consistent than Messi or Ronaldo. You don't see Wayne have a bad game, but I've seen them two have plenty were they just drifted. Rooney will always get stuck in and will always put in a performance. Combine that with his goalscoring ability, passing ability, skill, strength, relative pace and vision and I think he's as good as anyone.

January 30, 2010, 04:32:42 AM
Reply #11

Derek

Best in the world for me.

Ronaldo we all know is a right prat, but Rooney does it just as well without the good looks. ;)

Best in the world for me at the moment, as much as it pains me to say.
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

January 31, 2010, 06:24:32 PM
Reply #12

slothzen

I know, right.  Messi is gorgeous too!

January 31, 2010, 10:43:09 PM
Reply #13

Endless, Nameless

Fuck me... Rooney is the best player in the world right now.

Did anyone else see his goal against Arsenal then? Fantastic pass and vision to give it to Nani, then super pace to get in the box and a perfect one touch finish. Come back please Wayne...

January 31, 2010, 10:51:23 PM
Reply #14

Endless, Nameless

100 For United now.

Pretty world class tbh.

He did it faster than Ronaldo apparently, and although Rooney is a striker he was never as selfish as Ronaldo. Plus many of Ronaldo's goals were free kicks, from which he would almost always shoot.